Options

Need a niec OD

Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
edited February 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I have a Keeley Ultra Boss DS-1, been thinking of adding an OD or something to help get more sustain and other things. What do you all recommend? It will be played through a Peavey tube amp

danke
don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Originally posted by GlorifiedG
    I have a Keeley Ultra Boss DS-1, been thinking of adding an OD or something to help get more sustain and other things. What do you all recommend? It will be played through a Peavey tube amp

danke

Well, there's always the TS-9. Hard to beat, at that price. The Blues Driver is also very good. The Maxon OD-808 is very good. Can't go wrong with any of them. If you want something a bit more boutiquey, there's lots of guys doing from-scratch and mod work.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Depends on what kind of OD character you like.

I'd go with a Blues Driver but the Tubescreamer is very nice and warm if that's your thing you are looking for
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    Depends on what kind of OD character you like.

and therein lies the problem...I want all of them! But to be mroe simplistic...a nice Hendrix/McCready colouring would be real nice. Like on Machine Gun when he just holds the note forever, but not so much sustain that it destroys the dynamics.
    don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
    i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    A compressor will help with the sustain, and any OD with good compression will do the same... Hendrix used a fuzzface into a cranked Marshall, so it would be hard to recommend an overdrive for that purpose. For the best results, I'd get a compressor/sustainer, and run it into a Tubescreamer of some sort.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I suggest you look into a Barber Tone Press compressor (non squishy just holds out the sustain see Harmony-Central)

Fuzzes are extremely personal, first find out what type of fuzz you want first. Hendrix used both Germanium PNP Fuzz faces and Silicon NPN Fuzz Faces. The first being warm and round and the latter being more distorted and snarly.

Keep in mind Amplifier distortion and picking dynamics play a big role in all of these sounds, so a compressor allows you to play harder without distortion which is nice in settings where big volume is not really an option.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.