Options

please help!

thumbinmywaythumbinmyway Posts: 33
edited January 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
ok i have an epiphone strat copy and i just dont think it sounds right. so i want to replace the pickups but i dont know what kind i should use. fender brand pickups are the only ones i really know and they are pretty pricey. so what would you guys recommend? and also how hard is it to install them? should i even attempt it?
If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Get humbuckers. Don't even attempt to install them... get it professionally done, for your instrument's own sake.
    Ha ha I've a custy
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Go here and drool:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/website/products/strats.shtml

Read some options, and also think about the sound you want (i.e. someone's tone on such-and-such album or song, or at least some sort of clue) and then ask again.

It's really difficult to recommend anything gear-wise for someone when you don't know the results they want.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    well, im not sure how to ask. i want it to sounds like mike's.....ha ha.
  • Options
    i want that SRV sound
  • Options
    Originally posted by thumbinmyway
    i want that SRV sound

Texas specials, hot pickups, anything like that. Stacked humbuckers (ex has a mess of them) are good options, too.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    yeah Texas specials and a Fender Vibroverb, + loads of talent and practice and a Tubescreamer. Oh and Huge hands and strings help. You should definately increase your string gauge
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    unless you know what you're doing, don't do it yourself.
  • Options
    yeah ive been thinkin about the texas speacials but i guess what im trying to ask is their any cheaper brand than fender with good quality?
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Originally posted by thumbinmyway
    yeah ive been thinkin about the texas speacials but i guess what im trying to ask is their any cheaper brand than fender with good quality?

not really, no.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    fender is the cheap brand unfortunately.

It's going to run you at least $120 anyway you slice it.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Well, if you figure out which pickup you use most, you can just replace that one...

Here's the set of three for $150:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040126153516150131025216441799/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/301616/

Or the single for $45:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040126153516150131025216441799/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/301617/

Actually, it looks like you could save $15 buying them seperately... but the set wouldn't necessarily match each other, and you'd probably pay the difference to ship them seperately. Anyways, I'd just pop a Texas in the bridge and use just it, but that's me.
  • Options
    thanks