Any last minute suggestions??

thumbinmywaythumbinmyway Posts: 33
edited July 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
i got my kits from stewart macdonald today and im gonna try and solder it together. im nervous though. ive been practicing with some other wire and it doesnt seeem to want to stick. plus the diagram that came with it is kind of confusing to me-- http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Supplies/1/Wiring_Kit_for_Stratocaster/Instructions/I-3192.html#details what is that little part right under the output jack????
If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• djyman15djyman15 Posts: 181
    ok, im not positive about the thing under the output jack, but i can give you some soldiering help. make sure you tin the surface you are soldiering first. This means apply soldier to the surface, and a generous amount. That way, when you go to put the wires together, they will have a better chance of sticking
    "Even if your heart would listen, I doubt I could explain"-Jimmy Eat World
  • thanks for the advice! ive never soldered anything before. i just did a couple of small wires and i think i did ok. if anyone has an idea about what that stray wire in the diagram is let me know. and does anyone know how much it would cost to get this prof. done if i fuck it up?
  • Im doing fine with the wires but i cant get ANYTHING to stick to the pots!!! what am i doing wrong?
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    The part under the output jack is the capacitor, unless you're talking about the squiggly part under the rectangle. That's the second part of the output jack that holds the end of the cord.

Like djyman says, "tin" the wires first. and maybe practice a bit more. Not too much solder either. The rougher the solder job, the more noise the joint will pick up, like an antenna.

( hopefully by the time you read this, you'll have it done!)
    If you mess it up, probably about 30-40 bucks to fix it, maybe less.

Don't rest the soldering iron on the guitar! There's a lot of burn marks on guitars because of that! ( only one for me):)
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Originally posted by who's_pearljam?
    The part under the output jack is the capacitor, unless you're talking about the squiggly part under the rectangle. That's the second part of the output jack that holds the end of the cord.

From what I gather, he's asking about the tip connector for the ground... a guitar cable has two conductors, the signal and the ground.

At first, I thought he was asking about the cap in the tone network...

This is why I have much better guys do all my soldering.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.