your favorite CLEAN boosts.

Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
edited November 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Gentlemen. You know how I waffle and spend forever shopping things. I should be buying cables and a PP2 but I'm CB shopping.

I need to try a Barber Launch Pad. I was wondering your astute opinions on your favorite boosts and thier characteristics.

I know several of you have OCD's. how do they sound as boosts.

Greg I know you've had a launch pad.

I'm intending to use it typically as an always on effect to add some fullness not really for overdrive or clipping at all so the more headroom the better.
My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i like the runoffgroove peppermill i built. sort of like a HAO rust booster in that there's volume and a gain control to add none to some grit. so that's what i use now. i tuned it to roll off a little high end.

otherwise, i just use the keeley BD-2 with the gain down.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    cool, thanks.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Hey

DONT overlook the ZVEX Super Hard-On !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.zvex.com/hardon.html

check it out !!!!!!!!!!

This city's so filthy, like my mind in ways!
    http://www.proguitarshop.com/index.php?CategoryID=304

I should just add the PGS video library link to this thread.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    the launch pad is pretty much an exact replica of your signal, just louder. as such, it perhaps lacks a certain personality. but, it does what it says on the tin.

the OCD will colour the signal too much due to it's EQ. the version i had was too scooped. i don't know what the current ones sound like.

the SHO adds sparkle i'm told though i've never played on (i'll clone one someday since they're dead simple).

the HOA rust booster and the peppermill i built add a slight darkness/fullness to my ears. my peppermill is hot-rodded though for more gain and that changed the eq a bit. still, gain at zero is clean boost.

try the catalinbread silver kiss too. i've heard nothing but good things about that pedal.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Xotic RC Booster (RC= really clean).
    THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST CLEAN BOOST'S AVAILABLE.
    Here's PGS' take on it: http://www.proguitarshop.com/product.php?ProductID=87&CategoryID=
    And they now even make a Scott Henderson Model (which is even better for
    the single coil player): http://www.xotic.us/effects/rc_booster/RCB_SH.html
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    For reference:

The OCD with volume cranked and drive all the way down on a clean Marshall head will give lots of ACDC-esque sounds. Definitely scooped/colored and sounds like rock. Not very good for a "clean" boost.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Fulldrive 2 will work too. I haven't tried Barber's stuff, but want to.
  • check this out.

this guy tries out 17 different OD pedals side by side. (some of them are clean).

http://www.oldtonezone.com/distortionoverdrive-pedal-shootout/

keeley katana always a good choice.
    thanks.
  • Have you put any thought into using a treble booster? I was hesitant to ask, since you wanted to add "fullness", but it's always worth asking.

Really, the first thing I thought when I read your post was a good compressor. Don't need to use too much compression, just a touch, and then give the output level a twist. Comp tends to fatten up the sound, and most of them have plenty of clean headroom in the output. Just gotta be careful about driving anything past it... putting it at the end of the chain would be a good idea (you probably knew that).

I use my DynaComp for pretty much this sorta thing, although I use it to control my wah and smack my OD's, so I put it between wah and tubescreamer. For me, it's another form of gain stage.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    Have you put any thought into using a treble booster? I was hesitant to ask, since you wanted to add "fullness", but it's always worth asking.

Really, the first thing I thought when I read your post was a good compressor. Don't need to use too much compression, just a touch, and then give the output level a twist. Comp tends to fatten up the sound, and most of them have plenty of clean headroom in the output. Just gotta be careful about driving anything past it... putting it at the end of the chain would be a good idea (you probably knew that).

I use my DynaComp for pretty much this sorta thing, although I use it to control my wah and smack my OD's, so I put it between wah and tubescreamer. For me, it's another form of gain stage.

I've got a shannon comp now that is not on my board. I did used to use my Dynacomp that Eric fixed for that application, I'll try it again I guess. I'll probably try that as soon as I get some more patch cables, I'm just concerned it will squash the fuzz face.

Barber has a new B-Buff, that would fit inside the battery compartment of my DD and provide up to 20DB of boost in bypass and save space. I've thought about that too because I'd like to get the mod board for my DD anyway.
  • ccpaccpa Posts: 32
    Put your guitar volume on 7. Adjust the amp to the band mix. Your clean boost is now your volume on 10. It will sound fuller. You can test the headroom. Btw, there is a PP2 on music123 for $122 if you don't mind a scratch or dent. If you must have the boost in pedal format, try a timmy.
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    I like using my tube screamer with the gain all the way down as a great clean boost!
  • IDgotIIDgotI Posts: 262
    I use the Super duper Hard on and think it's great... but it's really expensive and it's left me wondering if it was worth the scratch. I haven't tried the Durham sex drive, but it gets the same sort of write up the Zvex does for about half the price. I haven't seen it mentioned here yet and I know it's well regarded. Let us know what you think of it if you get a chance to try it out.

http://www.proguitarshop.com/product.php?CategoryID=&ProductID=17