Vintage Fender Bass Question.

Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
edited October 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
What is the purpose of the large chrome pickup cover? The bridge covers too for that matter

Does it not just get in the way? are you supposed to rest your hand on it?

Thanks, P.
My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i think, back in the day, they rested their hands on it. i can't figure the point of any of the bridge covers on teles, strats etc. either.
  • PACO the back pick up covers on Fender bass's including a mute system to make the bass sound more like a up right. Which was Mr. Fenders real goal. The original bass's, had the front nut mounted behind the head stock as well, to hold the bass more like a upright.

Looking for something to do, put some flatwounds on your bass, and put a cloth or something under the strings to help mute (on the jazz I do it between the bridge pick up and the bridge. Then play some cool motown lines or even "Dazed and confused. Just sounds amazing!

The front pick up cover gets in the stupid way. The back is a pain because you have to remove screws to remove the cover to change strings. But they look killer installed.

I can take some shots of the mutes etc. that came with my '62 reissue if you like. I just won't be able to do it till tomorrow. Let me know.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Also, yes I know I can't do it all in one post.

Experts will say there is a slight difference in tone with and without the covers. I can't hear it. Something about metal being close to the magnets etc. etc. blah blah. I'll check my book on fender bass's and see if it says anything.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

• I always assumed that the pickup and bridge covers were to make things look tidier, so you can't see the dirty inner-workings that make them "electronic". Clean, stream-lined products were the rule of the day... think of blenders and cars and TV's and radio's from that era (mid-50's to mid-60's).
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    They look badass.

Seriously though, I don't know.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • So I'm really late on this. But I just now found my book on the history of the fender bass.

According to the book, the pick up cover was placed on the bridge pick-up to give the player a place to rest there hand. The electric bass was originally intended to be played with a thumb or pick.

The neck pick up cover was added to help the pick up from picking up electrical noises that were common back then

That's me, late as ever as always!