Options

Seven Worlds Collide... again?

bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,088
edited November 2008 in The Porch
Neil Finn Announces Seven Worlds Collide Shows
Sunday, 16 November 2008, 7:03 pm
Press Release: Touring Musicians

Neil Finn Announces Seven Worlds Collide Album Project and Shows

Seven years ago, Neil Finn called on a very special group of musical friends. They came from all around the world and converged on Auckland, New Zealand. Over a short few days in 2001, they formed a band and rehearsed a lengthy set, taking it to the stage of Auckland’s St James Theatre for a series of five incredible shows under the banner Seven Worlds Collide.

Some would call it a risky move, but the resulting shows were simply extraordinary. And really, you’d expect no less; the band members included Radiohead’s guitarist and drummer Ed O’Brien and Phil Selway, legendary guitarist Johnny Marr, founder member of The Smiths and current member of US alternate rock innovators Modest Mouse, New York avant-garde group Soul Coughing’s bassist Sebastian Steinberg, and American singer-songwriter and multi-instrumentalist Lisa Germano, alongside Pearl Jam’s Eddie Vedder and members of the musically gifted Finn family -- Neil’s son Liam Finn and brother Tim Finn.

Now, after completing a successful world tour with the reformed Crowded House for their album Time On Earth, Neil Finn is at it again. Perhaps it’s due to his upbringing in provincial New Zealand, where his family gathered around to share music, singing and performing together. Because once more, Neil is about to surround himself with an ensemble of some of the finest musicians in the world, to record an album under the title Seven Worlds Collide.

And look out – if you think this is just going to happen behind closed doors, you’re mistaken – Neil plans to share this unique event with music fans in New Zealand by presenting a short series of intimate and informal live performances at a nearby club venue.

Over Christmas 2008 and New Year 2009, Neil will bring together the same core band of Johnny Marr, Phil Selway, Ed O’Brien, Sebastian Steinberg and Lisa Germano, along with Liam Finn, to expand the Seven Worlds Collide concept and create a studio album of entirely brand new material in the welcoming surroundings of Roundhead studios in Auckland, NZ.

Neil confirms some other exciting guests will be contributing their time and talent to the album, including four members of Wilco, one of America’s most innovative rock groups: singer-songwriter Jeff Tweedy, bassist John Stirratt, drummer Glenn Kotche and multi-instrumentalist Pat Sansone, who no doubt will be sharing their exquisite vocal harmonies. Scottish singer-songwriter KT Tunstall is also confirmed, as are Neil’s musical friends from New Zealand, Don McGlashan and Bic Runga. And more guests are expected to be added to the album lineup over the coming weeks.

All proceeds from this very special recording will go to support the continuing great work of Oxfam International.

“Many of us have had previous connections with Oxfam,” says Neil, “We are working with them on this album not only to highlight the great work they do but to hopefully make some money for them as well.”

Oxfam New Zealand Executive Director Barry Coates comments “We are honoured to be working with Neil and so many other talented and committed artists on this project, many of whom have supported Oxfam over a number of years. At a time when the number of people living in extreme poverty is growing, funds generated from this project will be urgently directed to those in need, providing opportunities and hope for a better future.”

The aim is to create an event and to share a wonderful musical experience. “Our hope for these few weeks,”says Neil “is that a genuine musical exchange will occur. We aim to keep in heart and mind the sense of a band in the studio. We are determined that our album will be soulful and cohesive and that a great time will be had by all.”

All three recording spaces at Roundhead studios will be bursting at the seams with musical expression and innovation as the band works around the clock on this project. The quick turnaround will ensure a fresh vibe for the songs, and the album will stand as a document of the occasion – both a snapshot and a time capsule.

The recording will be mixed by Jim Scott, a master recording engineer who over the years has worked on albums with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Wilco, Lucinda Williams, Foo Fighters and the late great Johnny Cash.

So get ready, people. It may have taken seven years, but for Neil Finn, and his friends and fans, seven worlds are about to collide once more.

NEIL FINN & FRIENDS – 7 WORLDS COLLIDE
TICKETS ON SALE MONDAY NOVEMBER 24TH FROM TICKETMASTER
http://www.ticketmaster.co.nz Ph. 09 970 9700
CAPACITY STRICTLY LIMITED!!
Monday January 5th, 2009 - at The Powerstation, Mt Eden Road, Auckland, NZ.
Tuesday January 6th, 2009 - at The Powerstation, Mt Eden Road, Auckland, NZ.
Wednesday January 7th, 2009 - at The Powerstation, Mt Eden Road, Auckland, NZ.
Doors Open 7.30pm all shows.

No mention of Eddie, "some other exciting guests" though...

I inexplicably missed all of the 2001 shows, so I won't miss these ones. Ed or no Ed (Vedder that is, no offense Ed O'Brien).
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Cheers for that, awesome news. We're getting some good shows at the moment. Got my Who tickets and KOL on sale this week.
    Auck - Feb 28, 98
    Syd - Nov 08, 06
    West Palm Beach - Jun 11, 08
    Tampa - Jun 12, 08
    Melb - Nov 20, 09
    Syd - Nov 22, 09
    Bris - Nov 25, 09
    Auck - Nov 27, 09
    Christchurch - Nov 29, 09
    EV - Bris - Mar 10 & 12, 11
    EV - New - Mar 16, 11
    EV - Syd - Mar 18, 11
  • Options
    Damn it, I forgot to check for tickets in today's public sale! Where are you sitting?

I'm surprised no one else seems interested in this. Still, it's just Eddie (at best) I suppose. I think it was "logic" like that that caused me to miss them last time.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,540
    That is awesome for you New Zealanders. Neil is a beast. Enjoy!
  • Options
    bazzer wrote:
    Damn it, I forgot to check for tickets in today's public sale! Where are you sitting?

I'm surprised no one else seems interested in this. Still, it's just Eddie (at best) I suppose. I think it was "logic" like that that caused me to miss them last time.
    Just got GAs. Hoping to do the 3 KOL shows so saving up for those!
    Auck - Feb 28, 98
    Syd - Nov 08, 06
    Tampa - Jun 12, 08
    Melb - Nov 20, 09
    Syd - Nov 22, 09
    Bris - Nov 25, 09
    Auck - Nov 27, 09
    EV - New - Mar 16, 11
    EV - Syd - Mar 18, 11
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,919
    Sounds like a blast. Have a great time all who are going :)
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    Is it too much to hope Ed will attend, I wonder? He's meant to be a big fan (of the Finns and NZ) so maybe he'll bring his family here for Christmas/New Years.
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,478
    I hope the reason that Ed's not going to be there is because they're working hard on album #9.
  • Options
    Very Cool. I'd love to see this.
  • Options
    awwwww man what i would give to be there!!! thanks for the news update :)
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    wilco, radiohead, marr and finn all in one night my god I'd love this they should brng it to Australia.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    Thanks for posting this. We are interested. It's just that we are on the other side of the world :D
    Welcome to my world! ;)
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    this would be amazing!
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    great post. might be the best news of the day.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    I hope Ed and Liam jam on this one...i was impressed at the Montreal shows when they played "society" together...
  • Options
    great post. might be the best news of the day.
    amen! i'm seriously so psyched about this....i wish southwest had $39 flights. i'd pack a big lunch for the trip lol neil finn is up there for me along with PJ for musicians i adore....it'd be great to see/hear another collaboration with ed and neil (and liam too!)
  • Options
    amen! i'm seriously so psyched about this....i wish southwest had $39 flights. i'd pack a big lunch for the trip lol neil finn is up there for me along with PJ for musicians i adore....it'd be great to see/hear another collaboration with ed and neil (and liam too!)

chiquimonkey we need to have a talk. You average about 16 posts a day on the forum. That is a ton. How did you amass so many?
    07-02-98, 10-11-00, 04-22-03, 04-23-03, 06-09-03, 06-10-03, 06-18-03, 06-21-03, 06-22-03, 10-02-04, 10-03-04, 10-05-04, 05-16-06, 05-17-06, 05-22-06, 06-24-06, 06-29-06
  • Options
    choochchooch Posts: 38
    Wow...if Ed did show, TWEEDY, FINN, and VEDDER....can't be beat
  • Options
    chiquimonkey we need to have a talk. You average about 16 posts a day on the forum. That is a ton. How did you amass so many?
    we have to talk? lol

back in the day when i first got here, one was able to chat, so i got to know folks that way....and as a result, got HELLA posts lol i don't post as much now, just when i see something of interest....like anything involving neil finn :)
  • Options
    topetope Posts: 37
    bazzer wrote:
    Welcome to my world! ;)

Well said man. It's not often that we are the ones who aren't missing out! Sometimes I wonder if others out there realise it's been 10 years since PJ played in NZ! aaargh.
  • Options
    digsterdigster Posts: 1,293
    I'll tell you, if this is how it's gotta be, I think Vedder for Mr. Tweedy and Co. is a pretty badass changeup.
  • Options
    tope wrote:
    Well said man. It's not often that we are the ones who aren't missing out! Sometimes I wonder if others out there realise it's been 10 years since PJ played in NZ! aaargh.
    Closer to 11 years now! I think I cried a little on Feb 28 this year...
  • Options
    itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    Without a doubt, one of the best shows I've ever been to; final night of the 7 worlds residency. Just paid $190 for the Who + Counting Crows though, so unless Ed comes, I'll settle for the resulting album. I definitely recommend to anyone who is willing & able - GO!!! It's an amazing experience to be apart of :) would be great seeing Jeff Tweedy with NZ's own 'uncle Neil' too! :eek:
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • Options
    itsevobaby wrote:
    Without a doubt, one of the best shows I've ever been to; final night of the 7 worlds residency. Just paid $190 for the Who + Counting Crows though, so unless Ed comes, I'll settle for the resulting album. I definitely recommend to anyone who is willing & able - GO!!! It's an amazing experience to be apart of :) would be great seeing Jeff Tweedy with NZ's own 'uncle Neil' too! :eek:
    Should've taken the (small) step up to the $225 seats. A lot closer, much better value for money - only $35 more! Well, we were too cheap for that, I got the $129s in the top level of the stand...
  • Options
    EnzedEnzed NZ Posts: 479
    I went to one of the shows back in the day - was damn good, although a little slow in the middle.

Anyhoo, got my Who ticket and my Iron Maiden ticket, although I may miss Maiden as I'll be in the UK a few days before and I'm unsure if I'll get back in time.
    Auckland 1 1995
    Auckland 1998
    EV (Neil Finn and Friends, April 2, 2001)
    Auckland 2009
    Auckland 2014
  • Options
    I wonder if there is any tiny little possibility that one of the "other guests" yet to be anounced is Ed? I'm going regardless, but am quietly, slightly wondering....
  • Options
    tope wrote:
    I wonder if there is any tiny little possibility that one of the "other guests" yet to be anounced is Ed? I'm going regardless, but am quietly, slightly wondering....
    Here's hoping Neil's just waiting for Ed to confirm a solo show while he's here!
    Who got KOL tix?
    Auck - Feb 28, 98
    Syd - Nov 08, 06
    Tampa - Jun 12, 08
    Melb - Nov 20, 09
    Syd - Nov 22, 09
    Bris - Nov 25, 09
    Auck - Nov 27, 09
    EV - New - Mar 16, 11
    EV - Syd - Mar 18, 11
  • Options
    Tried for KOL tickets but got nowhere :(

I'm in two minds about the Neil shows though... I missed them last time round but would only want to make the trek to Auckland from Wellington if Ed Vedder was a definate...
  • Options
    If you wait until he's a definite, they will likely be sold out. Do it!
  • Options
    Yea do it!! I got my ticket this morning, and straight up even if Ed's not there, it is such a legendary night I guarantee you will not regret it. I so want Ed to be there though! That would be Amazing! And I still wait to hear who the other guests are to be announced... but I guess if Ed was coming they probably would have announced it from the get-go, as he is a pretty major draw card.

One thing I am fairly sure of is that it won't take long for these 3 concerts to sell out. The original 7 worlds concert is still my second best concert EVER, and that's saying a lot cause for a kiwi girl living at the bottom of the world I've seen my fair share of great live acts. Although a large part of my enjoyment of 7 worlds was definitely due to Ed being there. The Best Version Of Take A Walk!!

So I agree, just do it, get a ticket while you can...

tope
  • Options
    nz_spanna wrote:
    Tried for KOL tickets but got nowhere :(

I'm in two minds about the Neil shows though... I missed them last time round but would only want to make the trek to Auckland from Wellington if Ed Vedder was a definate...
    Yeah, the Ticketek site was screwed up this morning for the Wellington sale. I had tickets at least 8 times with the site crashing after the payment stage. They have released some more GAs though
    Auck - Feb 28, 98
    Syd - Nov 08, 06
    Tampa - Jun 12, 08
    Melb - Nov 20, 09
    Syd - Nov 22, 09
    Bris - Nov 25, 09
    Auck - Nov 27, 09
    EV - New - Mar 16, 11
    EV - Syd - Mar 18, 11