Options

Hey EX. Class A boost question.

Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
edited December 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
How clean is that Pharaoh, is it more gritty or more clean? Does it add any presence? I guess I know the answer already the Keeley is probably better and boosting the clean right? And the booster just gives you more?
My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    the pharaoh is dead clean. i tested that fact using acoustics direct into the recorder.

it's just boost, pure and simple. any effects to tone are just the same as using higher output pups. how much grit you get out of it depends on how close you have the amp to saturation.
  • Options
    Originally posted by exhausted
    the pharaoh is dead clean. i tested that fact using acoustics direct into the recorder.

it's just boost, pure and simple. any effects to tone are just the same as using higher output pups. how much grit you get out of it depends on how close you have the amp to saturation.

Ah that's what I was looking for. so you can actually run the Deluxe at a lower volume output and achieve the higher VO tone? Excellent. It's probably perfect for 40 watt or higher amps. The lower wattage stuff like I've got break up so soon I pretty much use the gain knob as a booster as to how much grit I want. Thanks. The single knob may be the one to get. The Tone Engine intrigues me. Especially if I could find some NKT 275 transistors to swap out the originals or maybe a mullard like keeley is using in his booster. The Fuzz Head looks cool but that's just too much money for just a fuzz. If I was a pro I'd get it but I'm not.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    right now, i'm running the DR at 4. the pharoah can push it all the way to 10 though i use it to get to maybe 6 or 7. the sound of boosting 4 to 7 compared to actual unboosted 7 is pretty much identical.

it's not a flexible pedal, but it does what i need it to. i imagine the models with tone and contour are more suited to fine tuning. i just wanted transparency.

getting transistors is easy. small bear has them.

the fuzzhead i can't comment on since i haven't heard clips yet but my initial thoughts are, it's not worth it when you can get vintage faces or make your own face for much much less.
  • Options
    right now, i'm running the DR at 4. the pharoah can push it all the way to 10 though i use it to get to maybe 6 or 7. the sound of boosting 4 to 7 compared to actual unboosted 7 is pretty much identical.

it's not a flexible pedal, but it does what i need it to. i imagine the models with tone and contour are more suited to fine tuning. i just wanted transparency.

getting transistors is easy. small bear has them.

the fuzzhead i can't comment on since i haven't heard clips yet but my initial thoughts are, it's not worth it when you can get vintage faces or make your own face for much much less.

yeah I agree. Keeley is beginning to capitalise on his good name. Good for him. Not all that great for us. Still cheaper than Zvex though.
  • Options
    i'd like to A/B a fulltone 69 and a fuzzhead just for curiousity.

the zvex stuff i'll never bother with. just not worth it for me.

i had such a bad playing night last night that i don't know why i don't pack it in entirely.
  • Options
    i'd like to A/B a fulltone 69 and a fuzzhead just for curiousity.

the zvex stuff i'll never bother with. just not worth it for me.

i had such a bad playing night last night that i don't know why i don't pack it in entirely.

it happens. Think nothing of it. There are some nights I want to play and I just can't get a decent sound at all. A lot of times the intonation is just screwed it's cold or hot and the guitar's not cooperating. I like the Zvex stuff but the prices are insane. I think the 69 fuzz would suit you and most of us better. The keeley is mainly a pro pedal designed soley for giving a lead boost for solos, the way many pros use fuzz faces. You and I like the cleaned up fuzz tone as well as at least with me the ability to pretend I'm SRV or Jimi Hendrix if only for brief milliseconds.
  • Options
    last night's problems were all me. it's a picking pattern on one track with a strumming pattern on the other and i've tried about 15 times in the last two weeks to get my picking solid enough timewise but i just can't do it.

it's all the limitations of my skill. the guitar itself sounded good though. using that GE-7 equalizer really helped.
  • Options
    last night's problems were all me. it's a picking pattern on one track with a strumming pattern on the other and i've tried about 15 times in the last two weeks to get my picking solid enough timewise but i just can't do it.

it's all the limitations of my skill. the guitar itself sounded good though. using that GE-7 equalizer really helped.

try delaying it a bit and play the riff slower. the echo will make it sound much more technical. That and shitloads of reverb.

Hell, If science can make Britney Spears into a singer it can damn sure make you a guitar hero. Turn up the studio magic on your recorder.
  • Options
    yeah, it's already reverbed up the ying. oh well, i'll just keep trying. sucks too b/c the part i can't play is the main pattern of the song.
  • Options
    yeah, it's already reverbed up the ying. oh well, i'll just keep trying. sucks too b/c the part i can't play is the main pattern of the song.

Yeah I was just saying you could "Edge" it out with the echo and sound technically superior. Either way I know you can do it.
  • Options
    i'll give it a shot.

it's funny. simple little song. now has 6 guitar tracks.
  • Options
    i'll give it a shot.

it's funny. simple little song. now has 6 guitar tracks.

yeah funny how I thought I'd be good with a 4 track. I could fill a 32 track recorder.
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Anyone have a good boost option for a Fender Rhodes piano? My buddy has a Rhodes that he wants to run into an amp, but you have to crank the amp to get decent stage volume. How much was the Pharaoh booster? Would it be transparent enough for a Rhodes? Have the right frequency response? Anyone else got a great idea? Could always use a compressor to boost it, but I'm not sure about a boost with compression on a Rhodes...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    Anyone have a good boost option for a Fender Rhodes piano? My buddy has a Rhodes that he wants to run into an amp, but you have to crank the amp to get decent stage volume. How much was the Pharaoh booster? Would it be transparent enough for a Rhodes? Have the right frequency response? Anyone else got a great idea? Could always use a compressor to boost it, but I'm not sure about a boost with compression on a Rhodes...

hmm, Aparantly the Class A boost is extremely transparent but Matt will make it as clean as possible for you if you ask him too as one of the reviews notes on Harmony Central.

Sometimes old ones are on Ebay for 100 bucks. I think you can get the one knob version (all you'd need on the piano anyway) for like 109. http://www.pharaohamps.com

or most say the Barber Tone Press is more like an extremely clean boost with no loss of attack because of the tone structure. Lots of sustain very clean. But the $139 might be more than you want to spend.

I think the Class A boost would probably be perfect.

you could probably deal with a little grit anyhow It should sound like the original amp just hitting the preamp and subsequently the power tubes simultaneously
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    hmm, Aparantly the Class A boost is extremely transparent but Matt will make it as clean as possible for you if you ask him too as one of the reviews notes on Harmony Central.

Sometimes old ones are on Ebay for 100 bucks. I think you can get the one knob version (all you'd need on the piano anyway) for like 109. http://www.pharaohamps.com

or most say the Barber Tone Press is more like an extremely clean boost with no loss of attack because of the tone structure. Lots of sustain very clean. But the $139 might be more than you want to spend.

I think the Class A boost would probably be perfect.

you could probably deal with a little grit anyhow It should sound like the original amp just hitting the preamp and subsequently the power tubes simultaneously

I don't know what his budget is, but any option around or under $100 would be best. We're all pretty damned broke, being musicians in fucking Montana...

A little grit wouldn't be bad, and they already run several effects (well, a Boss delay and a Maestro phaser). If they could just get some fairly clean, broad-band boost at the head of the signal chain, that would be great.

By the way, he's running into an old Music Man 210, so the preamp is solid-state...
  • Options
    I don't know what his budget is, but any option around or under $100 would be best. We're all pretty damned broke, being musicians in fucking Montana...

A little grit wouldn't be bad, and they already run several effects (well, a Boss delay and a Maestro phaser). If they could just get some fairly clean, broad-band boost at the head of the signal chain, that would be great.

By the way, he's running into an old Music Man 210, so the preamp is solid-state...

Ah. I'd still say the Class A would be the way to go. Check Ebay 1st

We're all poor. Hell man maybe a regular Blues Driver would work. It's fairly transparent just run the gain down and the volume all the way up. It gets pretty loud at $69. Bluesy piano cool.

I still dream of a organ so I can play "Gimme some lovin" over and over and over.
  • Options
    I would love to have an old Rhodes in good working condition. But you can't have both.
  • Options
    I would love to have an old Rhodes in good working condition. But you can't have both.

yeah. unless you are a rhodes repair man. we had a damn good one at the high school when I played bass for Jazz band. The girl sitting behind it was nicer though.
  • Options
    I want to be a drummer when I grow up, but Mommy says I can't do both...
  • Options
    I want to be a drummer when I grow up, but Mommy says I can't do both...

me too but I have a hard time seperating my feet from my hands in my head.
  • Options
    me too but I have a hard time seperating my feet from my hands in my head.

That does take some getting used to... my right hand and my right foot always want to act together...
  • Options
    Ah. I'd still say the Class A would be the way to go. Check Ebay 1st

We're all poor. Hell man maybe a regular Blues Driver would work. It's fairly transparent just run the gain down and the volume all the way up. It gets pretty loud at $69. Bluesy piano cool.

I still dream of a organ so I can play "Gimme some lovin" over and over and over.

i think a BD-2 would work quite well. cheap as hell used too. the pharaoh (micro amp) is great if you're running close to saturation anyway but with an SS preamp, i think the BD-2 is a better choice.

but for info, my pharoah was $70US off ebay. it's a one knob, very early version i think. the newer versions are $120-140US.
  • Options
    i think a BD-2 would work quite well. cheap as hell used too. the pharaoh (micro amp) is great if you're running close to saturation anyway but with an SS preamp, i think the BD-2 is a better choice.

but for info, my pharoah was $70US off ebay. it's a one knob, very early version i think. the newer versions are $120-140US.

Cool...

I was looking at the Seymour Duncan booster, which they claim is clean enough to boost a vocal mic. It's $80 brand-new from Musicians Friend. I just wish I knew how it sounded...
  • Options
    Cool...

I was looking at the Seymour Duncan booster, which they claim is clean enough to boost a vocal mic. It's $80 brand-new from Musicians Friend. I just wish I knew how it sounded...

nah, that Seymour Duncan looks like it's built like shit. I took apart my PH-3 just for shits and giggles last night. the Boss Stuff for being mass produced slave labor made pedals are built like brick shit houses. I'd go with the BD-2 based on reliability, quality, and the fact we all know it sounds great.

sorry Ex I couldn't remember how much you paid.
  • Options
    nah, that Seymour Duncan looks like it's built like shit.

I can't say anything about the guts, but the case seems pretty tough...
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=031208224247150131025216496997/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/150710/
  • Options
    the duncan still isn't going to give you any of the grit you want. you've already got the amp cranked and you don't have enough grit. clean boost will give you the volume but that's it.
  • Options
    I can't say anything about the guts, but the case seems pretty tough...
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=031208224247150131025216496997/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/150710/

yeah but the case on the russian big muff is pot metal too with plastic jacks. Looks weak to me. Plus it has no guts Its just a couple of capacitors a switch and a pot. Nothing to hold it up, drop it or accdently drop something on it and it's cut in half. I just think the BD-2 would work better but what the hell do I know.
  • Options
    the duncan still isn't going to give you any of the grit you want. you've already got the amp cranked and you don't have enough grit. clean boost will give you the volume but that's it.

See, that's it... really, he just needs higher output. Ever worked with a Rhodes? They have insanely low output. They're passive, so they don't have any sort of pre-amp, and their transducers don't produce anywhere near the output of a guitar. In the full-deal Rhodes, they had an amp that was specially built for the Rhodes with a tailored preamp, so the Rhodes just sat on top of this amp and speaker cabinet. But the suitcase models (like the one my friend owns) needs to go into something else, like a guitar amp, a preamp, or a DI. And even DI's have trouble, can't hardly get enough clean signal without tons of hiss. It's sort of a pain in the ass, but worth it for the sound...
  • Options
    yeah but the case on the russian big muff is pot metal too with plastic jacks. Looks weak to me. Plus it has no guts Its just a couple of capacitors a switch and a pot. Nothing to hold it up, drop it or accdently drop something on it and it's cut in half. I just think the BD-2 would work better but what the hell do I know.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I just want to know how it sounds. I would play plugged into a pig's asscrack if it sounded good.
  • Options
    I'm not saying you're wrong, I just want to know how it sounds. I would play plugged into a pig's asscrack if it sounded good.

Don't laugh Way Huge or Love Tone probably make a pedal called the Pigs Asscrack.

I could try and check one out some time this week if I make it down to the ATL. Possibly tonight.