Don't walk. Run. Do this. This is phenominal. Do it now.

Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
edited July 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
http://www.tedweber.com/julyspecial.html

30 bucks for weber signatures.

holy smokes.

Build cabs kids. Have them built. This is an incredible deal.
My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• how much is it to have a cab built?

i wouldn't mind putting my delta blues through 2x12.

or maybe just replace the 15" speaker with a 12" speaker? would that be all there is to it or are there other things i'd need to look for?
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • 62strat62strat Posts: 638
    fuck yea

i should so get that!

sell my fender twin, mpick me up a marshall plexi:)
  • 62strat wrote:
    fuck yea

i should so get that!

sell my fender twin, mpick me up a marshall plexi:)
    how's the twin been? still acting up on ya?
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • 62strat62strat Posts: 638
    how's the twin been? still acting up on ya?

nah, its been great. just need a changei think...
  • 62strat wrote:
    nah, its been great. just need a changei think...
    good that it hasn't been acting up!

a plexi you say? I think you better start working weekends and get some overtime pay! :)

back to my speaker question...would it be easy/possible to change my 15" speaker on my Delta Blues to a 12"? The 15" sounds fine, just might be a little too bright and if it's pretty easy to do i think i'll eventually want to swap. I know absolutely nothing about speaker changes, but i'd assume i need to look at the ohm rating?

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    check out ebay for cheap 2x12's first. http://www.avatarspeakers.com is a good builder at a solid price.

Mig found a 2x12 peavy cab unloaded on Ebay for like 30 bucks. For the record, 2 alnico 12's even one on your delta blues in a seperate cab should sound incredible just make sure the wattage and ohm's add up.

I don't know anything about converting a 15 to a 12 but Ted would. It would be a little darker and have a bit more punch. If you want a lot of punch, two 10's might work well.

It's probably 4 or 8 ohms on your Peavy if I remember correctly. The seperate cab would cut down big time on tube rattle and it would be a tighter sound.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    check out ebay for cheap 2x12's first. http://www.avatarspeakers.com is a good builder at a solid price.

Mig found a 2x12 peavy cab unloaded on Ebay for like 30 bucks. For the record, 2 alnico 12's even one on your delta blues in a seperate cab should sound incredible just make sure the wattage and ohm's add up.

I don't know anything about converting a 15 to a 12 but Ted would. It would be a little darker and have a bit more punch. If you want a lot of punch, two 10's might work well.

It's probably 4 or 8 ohms on your Peavy if I remember correctly. The seperate cab would cut down big time on tube rattle and it would be a tighter sound.
    now i've just gotta find a cheap 2x12 cab...i bet shipping would be a bitch though.

*dumb question* - if i'd get a 2x12 cab and run my delta blues through it...would only the 2x12 speakers be used, or would sound be coming through my amp's speaker too?

now i've just gotta find a cheap 2x12 cab...i bet shipping would be a bitch though.

*dumb question* - if i'd get a 2x12 cab and run my delta blues through it...would only the 2x12 speakers be used, or would sound be coming through my amp's speaker too?

depends on the wiring, in my orange, no. it should be in the manual. It can be arranged either way through various means but usually no.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    depends on the wiring, in my orange, no. it should be in the manual. It can be arranged either way through various means but usually no.
    alright...i don't have a preference either way so it's fine.

now the quest for a cheap cab...

• ExodusExodus Posts: 212
    Hmmm exactly how good a deal is this?

COmpare these to say a celestion vintage 30.

Which webber would sound cool in my Hiwatt? Cause for 70$ less than the vintage 30 it seems like a sweet deal

*EDIT this is missyouallday. I am at home to visit my parents for the weekend on my brothers computer. So hiwatt DC40.
    Between the conception and the creation

Between the emotion and the response

Falls the shadow.
    Exodus wrote:
    Hmmm exactly how good a deal is this?

COmpare these to say a celestion vintage 30.

Which webber would sound cool in my Hiwatt? Cause for 70$ less than the vintage 30 it seems like a sweet deal

*EDIT this is missyouallday. I am at home to visit my parents for the weekend on my brothers computer. So hiwatt DC40.

depends on the tone you are looking for, to be honest I might forsake both. Weber makes outsanding speakers as does Celestion.

If you want the accurate "FANE" sound that hiwatt is known for e-mail Reeves Amps, they make the vintage purple and it is spot on hiwatt. However talk to Ted too, because he probably can make you one too, he knows his speakers better than I do.
  • Turns out Reeves can't sell vintage purple outside cabinets. This is due to an agreement with the manufacturer.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    i believe it's 8 or 16 ohms.

so putting two 8 ohms speakers would be fine then? (i haven't the slightest clue about ohms ratings and whatnot)

Turns out Reeves can't sell vintage purple outside cabinets. This is due to an agreement with the manufacturer.

ah, to bad, I'll bet Ted can do something in the fane vein.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    i believe it's 8 or 16 ohms.

so putting two 8 ohms speakers would be fine then? (i haven't the slightest clue about ohms ratings and whatnot)

If you're combining two speakers, you'll want to wire them in parallel (series wiring tends to give a harsher sound). Wiring two speakers of the same impedance (ohmage) in parallel will cut the total impedance in half. So, if your amp is wired for an 8-ohm load, you'll want two 16-ohm speakers.

To answer your previous question, you can convert your amp to a single 12", and might be able to convert it to a dual-10". The big thing is that you would need a new baffle (the piece of wood that the speaker is screwed into) cut for the amp. If you're any good with a jigsaw, it's not that hard to do.

Here's a question for ya... does the internal speaker in your amp wire to a 1/4" jack, or is the speaker hard-wired to the amp? And does your amp have a separate external speaker jack? Maybe I'll go surfing on Peavey's site for ya...

Edit: Peavey's telling me that your amp can work with an 8-16 ohm load. I'd guess your internal speaker is 16-ohm, and you can wire an external cab to the external output at 16-ohms, which makes the total load 8-ohms. Comprende?
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    ah, to bad, I'll bet Ted can do something in the fane vein.

It seems to me Weber has a Fane clone already... might have to dig through the site to find it...

Edit: Bingo! Alnico Thames:

https://weberspeakerscom.secure.powweb.com/weber/thames12a.htm
  • Aha!

But weren't Fanes ceramic?
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
    Aha!

But weren't Fanes ceramic?

you can get that speaker in the ceramic version for much cheaper. Yes, the ones I was thinking of were ceramic.
    Really...??? Was it Vox that had the legendary Fane alnico's? I don't doubt they made ceramics, but I've always heard amazing things about their alnico's.

Hell, if you want a good ceramic, go Tone Tubby.
    Really...??? Was it Vox that had the legendary Fane alnico's? I don't doubt they made ceramics, but I've always heard amazing things about their alnico's.

Hell, if you want a good ceramic, go Tone Tubby.

the big 4x12 cabinets were ceramic. Most alnico's are found in open back configurations and yeah, that would be vox. The blue celestions and the alnico fanes. Probably supro and oh maybe selmer as well.

Tone Tubbies rule, and JofZ says Eminence has a similar one too, I don't think MYAD wants to spend that much. I do wonder what an alnico fane would sound like in the Bulldog. Probably pretty sweet definately dirty.
  • If you're combining two speakers, you'll want to wire them in parallel (series wiring tends to give a harsher sound). Wiring two speakers of the same impedance (ohmage) in parallel will cut the total impedance in half. So, if your amp is wired for an 8-ohm load, you'll want two 16-ohm speakers.

To answer your previous question, you can convert your amp to a single 12", and might be able to convert it to a dual-10". The big thing is that you would need a new baffle (the piece of wood that the speaker is screwed into) cut for the amp. If you're any good with a jigsaw, it's not that hard to do.

Here's a question for ya... does the internal speaker in your amp wire to a 1/4" jack, or is the speaker hard-wired to the amp? And does your amp have a separate external speaker jack? Maybe I'll go surfing on Peavey's site for ya...

Edit: Peavey's telling me that your amp can work with an 8-16 ohm load. I'd guess your internal speaker is 16-ohm, and you can wire an external cab to the external output at 16-ohms, which makes the total load 8-ohms. Comprende?
    i don't believe the speaker is wired to a 1/4'' jack (this is from memory since i'm not at my place).

i think i understand what you're saying about the ohm load. So basically if i wanted to use a cab with 2 speakers...then they'd have to be 16 ohm speakers and i would have no other options then, correct?