MIG, Condenser Mic Question.

Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
edited May 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I do sound for a church up the street from me, currently they are mic'ing the choir with SM 58's yuck! I need a suggestion for a couple good reasonably priced condenser mic's to mic their choir with. More than likely they'll be on stands and not suspended. I could probably find a couple of booms though. They did end up getting the cheaper Allen and Heath (Sprit Board) it's pretty nice.

I found some good RODE's but $400 is probably more than they want to spend.
My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    Funny you posted this. I don't belong to a church, but the one up the street asked me to help rig up a sound system. So I am looking at mikes, too!

I never thought I'd be on these sites:

http://www.churchproduction.com/article.php?issue_path=issue_07_01-00&article_num=88

http://www.avsuperstore.com/results.cfm?groupID=6&cid=332

But I'll wait for the maestro of all sound to respond

(I have my fender deluxe strat):D
    get yours yet??
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

No. Mines not here yet. Think I'm still going with the ash, though the maple neck instead of rosewood. I've always liked maple better.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    Thank you Bob.

No. Mines not here yet. Think I'm still going with the ash, though the maple neck instead of rosewood. I've always liked maple better.

I got the maple neck, 50th anniversary. It is the best strat I've played. The neck is great, pickups are dead quiet and the s-1 switching is actually useful!:D
    Be kind, man

That's what I thought. I'm mainly going for the regular deluxe over the 50th for the tobacco sunburst, cream pickguard and locking tuners.
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    That's what I thought. I'm mainly going for the regular deluxe over the 50th for the tobacco sunburst, cream pickguard and locking tuners.

In retrospect I should have gone for the non 50th, as now I don't want to mess it up, but it was coming in to the shop that week anyway, so I snagged it.

F* resale,,,,, I'll just play it.

Wow, this really has nothing to do with choir microphones now, does it!:D
    Be kind, man

1. How many mics are you looking for? If unsure...
    2. How many people in the choir?
    3. How much $$$ are we spending?

Marshall MXL mics are pretty good for econo condensers. You could look at Shure's PG81's, their econo version of the revered SM81. They're only $130 apiece, which is a pretty good price for those mics. Audio Technica has some pretty good models, too. Basically, the best option is a small-diaphram condenser with a cardiod pattern.

Answer the questions above, I'll amend my response...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    So, a few questions...

1. How many mics are you looking for? If unsure...
    2. How many people in the choir?
    3. How much $$$ are we spending?

Marshall MXL mics are pretty good for econo condensers. You could look at Shure's PG81's, their econo version of the revered SM81. They're only $130 apiece, which is a pretty good price for those mics. Audio Technica has some pretty good models, too. Basically, the best option is a small-diaphram condenser with a cardiod pattern.

Answer the questions above, I'll amend my response...

2 mics. Around say 20 or 25 max.

Money, say 250-300 max. Otherwise I'd be getting a pair of Rode's.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Wow... did I ever drop the ball on this one...

Well, I'd look at the PG 81, OR...

MXL large-diaphram, if you trust the choir not to topple the mic stand:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040525220103069144041212859434/g=live/search/detail/base_pid/273150/
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I'm thinking of going with the MXL large diaphrams. Upon further review (I cannibalized the boom stand they had for a concert on Sunday Night) they have fairly decent audio techniqua although there's still too much treble and mids through the damn bose system. Oh well. It's a church anyhow. most people don't notice. Maybe I'll just get them a decent large diaphram for solos or find two channels or a splitter so I can plug in two more mics to get the basses and tenors.