I bought a DL-4 saturday.

Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
edited March 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
my good buddy at GC hooked me up $200.00 brand new. $214.00 with tax added

I played all weekend. It's fabulous. you can tweek it for nearly what ever you want. Not hard at all to get good sounds out of it.

I really can't say how accurate it is to analog but the damn thing is cool and there's no tape to break. I love the Memory Man model it makes my little orange sound huge. The loop sampler is awesome as expected. I love the auto volume and the multi head delay as well as others. the flexibility of this thing is amazing and having 3 presets is worth the extra money. I know now why people buy 2 of these one to use just as a loop sampler although I'm sure there are better loop samplers out there.

I like it a lot anyway. I haven't experimented with the location of my overdrives yet as I need some power cable extensions anyhow. So anyway, if you are looking at delays check out the Line 6 DL-4 it's by far the best of thier stompboxes I'd still like to check out the FM-4 filter modeler as the self-occiliation of the DL-4 has sparked my imagination. As far as modulation goes, I think models just aren't going to do it for me there and I like having lots of neat looking boxes anyhow so I'll just buy modulations as they suit my fancy.
My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    it's about freakin' time.

and the MM-4 sucks.

the FM-4 i haven't tried yet.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by exhausted
    it's about freakin' time.

and the MM-4 sucks.

the FM-4 i haven't tried yet.

I know the MM-4 blows from what I've heard. Jason (my buddy) said the same thing. They were blowing out the AM-4 amp modeler (duh, who the fuck would buy an amp modeller as a preamp when they could just buy a pod that is more flexible?)

The distortion modeler is garbage and dosen't sound anything close to right.

I remember playing the MM-4 and hating it years ago. Modulation is not very easy to replicate. I like the imperfection and warmness of analog modulation. My guess is the Filter modeller would be close to the same but a synth would be nice. I've always wanted a whammy but unless I find a beat one for around 100 bucks it's not worth it. I'm still looking into the CC2. The way good pedals are going up these days it's starting to look like a bargain.

I'm sending the beat Dyna Comp to Analog Mike tomorrow for a Saffron Squeeze mod.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    The model of the Deluxe Memory Man is my first favorite. It's a lovely washy reverb and delay with my Rat kicked in it's a great jet flanger. No need to keep the Dano, this sounds a lot better.
    yeah, the DMM model is cool. it's a lot brighter than the real DMM but it's very useful.

this is the thing about line6 stuff, it doesn't sound exactly like what it's emulating but if you find useful sounds in it then that's what counts.
    yeah, the DMM model is cool. it's a lot brighter than the real DMM but it's very useful.

this is the thing about line6 stuff, it doesn't sound exactly like what it's emulating but if you find useful sounds in it then that's what counts.

That's what I expected. The originals never sound dead on what line 6 does you really can't make it perfect but It's still very cool and the best digital stompbox delay out there by far I think. I'm going to play with the DSP bypass tonight. The trailing off delays is cool.
    i'd still like to try an expression pedal with the DL4. imagine the fun of having foot control over the delay time.
    i'd still like to try an expression pedal with the DL4. imagine the fun of having foot control over the delay time.

I love the crazy sounds you can get messing with the repeats and delay times a pedal would make it easy to do that while playing. I want one too.
  • Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
    damn i have more than enough delay but everytime i see a dl-4 or read someone talking about it I really, really, really want one! Just too much stuff on it.

I know I've asked this before but how's the looper work? How long can you use and how tweakable is it?

I've heard that the DL-4 is the only worthwhile XX-4 model
    don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
    i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
    Yes the DL-4 is pretty much the only worthwhile Line 6 stompbox.

The loop sampler is 14 seconds. 28 seconds on lower resolution or half speed. You can run the loop once, repeatedly, reverse, or half speed, and you can over dub. It has an echo that is inserted before the loop so you can put the echo in your sample.

If you are just looking for a loop sampler and not the delay I'd look for a good blowout deal on a boss twin series loop sampler or a Boomerang.
  • puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    I'm with ex on this one. Its about time. Nothing like a new toy. soon we will here the music, right!!!
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
    Originally posted by puremagic
    I'm with ex on this one. Its about time. Nothing like a new toy. soon we will here the music, right!!!

we'll I've got stuff recorded now that I can send, but it's not uploaded to the computer yet because I've been busy, but I can probably e-mail it to you guys if I can't find anywhere to host it.
  • Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    Yes the DL-4 is pretty much the only worthwhile Line 6 stompbox.

The loop sampler is 14 seconds. 28 seconds on lower resolution or half speed. You can run the loop once, repeatedly, reverse, or half speed, and you can over dub. It has an echo that is inserted before the loop so you can put the echo in your sample.

If you are just looking for a loop sampler and not the delay I'd look for a good blowout deal on a boss twin series loop sampler or a Boomerang.

that's what I thought but I keep looking for a good reason as to why I need this box.
    don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
    i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
    Originally posted by GlorifiedG
    that's what I thought but I keep looking for a good reason as to why I need this box.

Oh you'll never find a good reason for it. guitars and overdrive/distortion/fuzzes are more useful but delays are fun and can give you some really interesting tones and variety. This box gives you 3 delay options in one song without having to bend down and change the settings.