Options

I'm insane.

Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
edited January 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm listening to The Crossroads by clapton on the radio right now and I'm trying to breakdown the setup based on what I hear.

I really think the fuzz is a sola sound tonebender damn it sounds good. Fucking Clapton is awesome If I could play that well I'd be rich.
My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    You mean the Cream version?

Erm.... he played it on a red Gibson SG. He used 100 watt Marshall heads and 4X12 speaker cabinets. He had the set up running through a Vox wah-wah, on but not pumped, and a Dallas Arbiter fuzz.
  • Options
    Originally posted by FinsburyParkCarrots
    You mean the Cream version?

Erm.... he played it on a red Gibson SG. He used 100 watt Marshall heads and 4X12 speaker cabinets. He had the set up running through a Vox wah-wah, on but not pumped, and a Dallas Arbiter fuzz.

ah, that's where the mids came in then, half cocked wah. Very nice fuzz face. I thought he played selmers in the cream era?

Makes sense it would be a plexi though. Nice tone. It sounds so much like a tonebender. Very dark smooth fuzz face. Must have something to do with the interaction with the vox.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    My information mightn't be 100% reliable, but yes, the wah was half-cocked for a kind of flutey sound. Clapton used Tonebenders from their introduction in 1964; so did Keith Richards and Jeff Beck. But I think that by the time he first jammed with Hendrix at Regent Poly in London in 1966, Clapton had a couple of years of trying out different setups, including the early Roger Meyer effects.
    Clapton also used the Cry Baby: people argue whether the wah-wah on "Tales of Brave Ulysses" uses a doctored Cry Baby or a Vox. The Cry Baby came on the market in August 1967 - it was Zappa who introduced Hendrix to the pedal - and the Vox soon followed.
  • Options
    My information mightn't be 100% reliable, but yes, the wah was half-cocked for a kind of flutey sound. Clapton used Tonebenders from their introduction in 1964; so did Keith Richards and Jeff Beck. But I think that by the time he first jammed with Hendrix at Regent Poly in London in 1966, Clapton had a couple of years of trying out different setups, including the early Roger Meyer effects.
    Clapton also used the Cry Baby: people argue whether the wah-wah on "Tales of Brave Ulysses" uses a doctored Cry Baby or a Vox. The Cry Baby came on the market in August 1967 - it was Zappa who introduced Hendrix to the pedal - and the Vox soon followed.

Yeah that was back in the Thomas Organ Company days of the Crybaby, and The Vox Clyde McCoys as well as others.

Roger Mayer makes sense.

Clapton also had a few of the Dallas Rangemasters as well I think but that could have been earlier with John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers
  • Options
    He also used to fiddle with the tonepots on his guitars, but when one guitar buff tried to interview him about it, they got the response "I don't f**kin' know what settin' they're f**kin' on, I just do it, and if it sounds good, I go for it!"
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    He also used to fiddle with the tonepots on his guitars, but when one guitar buff tried to interview him about it, they got the response "I don't f**kin' know what settin' they're f**kin' on, I just do it, and if it sounds good, I go for it!"

i just read an old dave grohl interview. they asked him about amp settings and he said the same thing.