Glowing Glass.

Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
edited January 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
The best thing to see when you get home, is a little box full of brand new tubes.

Tung Sol, Electro Harmonix and EI. Thank you for restoring my baby.
My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Always nice to come home to a new item.

OK...so I am pretty ingorant to the whole tube amp thing....since I just purchased one recently...I really know nothing about them. How would you know if you blew one out? What would make you want to change them out? For sound, power, etc.? I know pretty dumb questions but hey gotta start learning somewhere.

Oh and the other night I get home from work and I get ready to play a little and I plug everything up, turn it all on, and all of a sudden I can hear a local radio station jamming Led Zepplin loud and clear and at first I was like WTF? I was thinking it was the amp, so I get a little pissed but start playing a little and then I go to step on my wah and instead of turning it on, I turned it off (it was on from the night before) and boom the radio static goes away. So it was my wah pedal picking it up. How the hell does that work? Sorry to get off the original subject!

Thanks.
    Driving in my car, smoking a cigar. The only time I'm happy is when I play my guitar.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    When my power tubes crapped out the sound quality degraded for a while, before it finally stopped making sound. I went ahead and bought new preamp tubes as well.

The deal with your wah is very common, the wires are not shielded and thus being copper, do a great job as a radio antenna. There are ways to quelsh this but off hand I can't remember other than, replacing all the wire with shielded cable.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    When my power tubes crapped out the sound quality degraded for a while, before it finally stopped making sound. I went ahead and bought new preamp tubes as well.

The deal with your wah is very common, the wires are not shielded and thus being copper, do a great job as a radio antenna. There are ways to quelsh this but off hand I can't remember other than, replacing all the wire with shielded cable.

If I was looking for new tubes....what are some good brands to look at? And as for the wah....it is an old one that I bought used a few years ago...I have been thinking about getting a new one anyways.
    Driving in my car, smoking a cigar. The only time I'm happy is when I play my guitar.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    If I was looking for new tubes....what are some good brands to look at? And as for the wah....it is an old one that I bought used a few years ago...I have been thinking about getting a new one anyways.

check out http://www.kcanostubes.com they are the New Old Stock badasses.

I bought mine from http://www.tubedepot.com

I'll let you know, how the Tungsol works out. but both those places sell really good brands.

another spot is http://www.thetubestore.com