Selling a Les Paul.

Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
edited January 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
It is really hard to sell a good guitar you've had for a long time. It's so comfortable. I know I probably should sell it, to get other stuff, but it's hard especially when it's a Les Paul. Anybody besides House ever have trouble getting rid of stuff?
My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79 wrote:
    It is really hard to sell a good guitar you've had for a long time. It's so comfortable. I know I probably should sell it, to get other stuff, but it's hard especially when it's a Les Paul. Anybody besides House ever have trouble getting rid of stuff?

actually yeah

about a year ago my mom was going through a rough time because she was out of work for about 2 years although she kept applying she didnt get anything...she got to a point where all her savings were gone and she just had her car payment left for that month. I was thinking of selling my strat in order for her to pay for it, but i just couldn't do it. oh and by the way, the following month she got a job, haha
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    actually yeah

about a year ago my mom was going through a rough time because she was out of work for about 2 years although she kept applying she didnt get anything...she got to a point where all her savings were gone and she just had her car payment left for that month. I was thinking of selling my strat in order for her to pay for it, but i just couldn't do it. oh and by the way, the following month she got a job, haha

well that's a happy ending on both ends.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Pacomc79 wrote:

unless you absolutely have to, i wouldn't do it.
    exhausted wrote:
    unless you absolutely have to, i wouldn't do it.

The bad thing is I really want to put a graptech bridge on it, and install Seymour 59's. a guitar is a hole in to which we throw money. Oh well, selling the L6 and DD will give me plenty of cash to do the pups in the strat.

This is the ultimate, don't worry about the case, drag it in the dirt behind you, always works perfect gig guitar, to bad I don't have any gigs.

Oh, and you wouldn't believe the sweetness of the new strat, even with the inherent issues with the 57-62 CS pups. They just don't cut the mustard, too bright. I think a super chili or poblano picoso is in order.

I'm thinking of trading the EGDM for a PPF and then maybe shopping cabinets.

Have you seen the Celestion alnico gold yet? It's supposed to be a 50 watt Vintage Blue. I bet it's still 250 bucks.

Damn damn damn I hate apartment dwelling. The amp is on 3 and I'm killing people.
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    Anybody besides House ever have trouble getting rid of stuff?

Hey, I resemble that remark!! :D

Seriously though. I do have a bit of a problem. I change guitars like I change my pants...

However, that doesn't mean I don't appreciate the guitars that I play. I guess I just haven't found the right one... I can commit to things. I'm married after all.

If you are really attached to a guitar keep it. If you want to get something different, get something different. There isn't really a right or wrong answer here.

Like you have told me... all the girls (guitars/amps) at this dance are good looking and cool... you can't really go wrong with a choice.

At the end of the day its' just wood, magnets, electricity and money... nothing to get too upset about.

(That's going in my signature... I like it)
    There's No Code.
    That's a great sig, and you're absolutely right. I actually crazy, but I'm thinking of investing in some sort of classic martin or gibson acoustic that will undoubtedly retain and increase in value and get a great humidifer for it. That would be a good reason to sell the gibby, but likely that money will go towards new pups and probably a DOT semi hollow. After playing the strat for an hour, I realize how great it is to not worry about dinging and scratching a guitar.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    The bad thing is I really want to put a graptech bridge on it, and install Seymour 59's. a guitar is a hole in to which we throw money. Oh well, selling the L6 and DD will give me plenty of cash to do the pups in the strat.

This is the ultimate, don't worry about the case, drag it in the dirt behind you, always works perfect gig guitar, to bad I don't have any gigs.

hold on to it. seriously. you'll regret it if you don't i think.

just give it a rest and when the time is right and the funds are there, do the upgrades and maintenance and it'll be a whole new guitar.

focus on the strat right now but don't let go of that LP.
    exhausted wrote:

just give it a rest and when the time is right and the funds are there, do the upgrades and maintenance and it'll be a whole new guitar.

I think you're right. Besides, they don't come with dot inlays and ebony fretboards anymore.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    If you really, I mean really want to sell it. There is only one guy in the USA that I would ship to on consignment. His name is Mark and he owns Marks Guitar Loft. I have seen him sell more used LP's then anyone. He is very fair on his comission and you will find a home for your axe quickly. Ebay is not the way to go.
    I can hook you up with Mark.
    I would also suggest joining the LPF and placing the axe in the classifieds over there.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
    exhausted wrote:

Good advice there... it is good to take a step back from things... I need to do that more often.

I tend to get ideas daily... I also tend to act on quite a few of them. But, I look for special guitars/amps that suit me all the time... then I zero in on a good fit.

If you have found a good fit... Keep It. My biggest regret was selling my Townshend SG. My LP is close, but not quite there as suiting me...

So, if you have a good history with the guitar... keep it.
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    My biggest regret was selling my Townshend SG. My LP is close, but not quite there as suiting me...

So, if you have a good history with the guitar... keep it.

yeah, and who told you not to sell the townshend, hmmm? :p

listen to me, paco. :D
    exhausted wrote:

Exactly my point.
    There's No Code.
    " Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier than helping someone move. I just went over to his house and made sure that he did not start to load shit into a truck. "

-mitch hedberg.

adjust for guitars.
    exhausted wrote:

:D I was rather adamant wasn't I :D
    exhausted wrote:
    " Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier than helping someone move. I just went over to his house and made sure that he did not start to load shit into a truck. "

-mitch hedberg.

adjust for guitars.

Mitch Hedberg was great...

"I love the UPS guy because he is a drug courier and doesn't know it..."
    There's No Code.
  • kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    i never part with any of my gear and never will. my closet is full of pedals, leads, straps you name it its in there. Ive never sold any guitars or amps i just hoard it all and it just keeps growing haha. The way i see it is that every single bit is a memory of my playing and learning curve over the last 16/17 years of playing and to part with any of it would be like starting to go senile.... and if i sold my strat i think i would lose my marbles... but then again i reckon id have to lose them just to even start to contemplate selling it!!
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    The amp is on 3 and I'm killing people.

sounds like you need one of these too, Pac.
    http://fab.stuff.home.comcast.net/fab_fox.htm

i'm ordering one next month after another check comes in.

apparently this guy works you all the way through his build process, with copious phone calls and emails. options a plenty, as well.

it will also be the first self biasing head i've ever had.
    can't wait to just go pluggin tubes in left and right.
    :D

oh,
    to answer your question,
    i've yet to sell off ANY of the guitars i've purchased.
    even the ones i've been meaning to get rid of for a while now.

hmm.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    I had trouble selling my Tele Jr's to get my McInturff's. I still ache for them every now and again.

Next week, the Delia arrives. That guitar is going to be silly :)
  • House53 wrote:
    Mitch Hedberg was great...

"I love the UPS guy because he is a drug courier and doesn't know it..."

"To get on this show they made me take a drug test and the questions were like trick questions like: have you ever tried sugar or.....pcp."
    "i wanna rock and roll **all night**, and part of everyday"