Does anyone know the Effects that Entwhistle used?

Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
edited April 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Specifically Fuzz. Man I love that sound.
My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    Specifically Fuzz. Man I love that sound.

Didn't they all use the rounded Arbiter Fuzz Face?
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by puremagic
    Didn't they all use the rounded Arbiter Fuzz Face?

Makes sense. I was wondering what made it so thick and fat, then again it is a bass and it is through Ashdown tube amps. He probably used really bright strings. The problem is finding a good one. Legend has it Hendrix and Eric Johnson would go through entire stores stocks without finding a good one. It's a good thing Roger Mayer came along.

Thanks.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Makes sense. I was wondering what made it so thick and fat, then again it is a bass and it is through Ashdown tube amps. He probably used really bright strings. The problem is finding a good one. Legend has it Hendrix and Eric Johnson would go through entire stores stocks without finding a good one. It's a good thing Roger Mayer came along.

Thanks.

They all seem to swear by Mayer pedals.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    this site has a lot of indepth equipment info for both Pete and John.

http://www.thewho.net:16080/whotabs/equipment/
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    Any info. on Cream's set up.
    Originally posted by blackredyellow
    this site has a lot of indepth equipment info for both Pete and John.

http://www.thewho.net:16080/whotabs/equipment/

You Sir.
    Scholar and a gentleman. So it's all rack stuff primarily not to mention some of the most incredible basses ever. 18V preamps with Neck LED's solid Graphite.

Wow. That rig is sweet. I knew the 2120 was back there but I didn't know about the Pod. That guy was a bad ass bass player It's kind of ashamed he dosen't get even more props.

Pure you have those 2 modulus's now, what do you think of that Buzzard? A little wierd looking yes but damn it probably weighs about 7 lbs tops.
    His buzzard's not my style. The modulus in general, first let me say I love the neck on these basses. Unlike my rickenbacker there's no neck movement means no truss rod adjustments. Plus the necks are thin which gives me better control on my neck movements. I am not use to the weight of it yet (light), but I'm sure my back, neck and shoulders will appreciate it.
    Originally posted by puremagic
    His buzzard's not my style. The modulus in general, first let me say I love the neck on these basses. Unlike my rickenbacker there's no neck movement means no truss rod adjustments. Plus the necks are thin which gives me better control on my neck movements. I am not use to the weight of it yet (light), but I'm sure my back, neck and shoulders will appreciate it.

Indeed. Kind of like me with Parker Guitars. like 3lbs. Beautiful to play well balanced does everything well but the shape isn't my thing and the weight is a little off.

How is the balance compared to the ric? I've always loved their balance.
    Indeed. Kind of like me with Parker Guitars. like 3lbs. Beautiful to play well balanced does everything well but the shape isn't my thing and the weight is a little off.

How is the balance compared to the ric? I've always loved their balance.

balance, weight wise, I would appreciate if I were doing shows every other night. The ric more evenly balanced out, you can tell the headstock of the modulus is heavy but it with the thin neck it allows for better control of "style" movements. sound wise, this bass out does my ric. The ric gives me more melody which is ok because running it through my SWR setup, especially, the pre amp and some FXs, I've always achieved the sounds from the ric I strive for. The only down fall is the ric lacks that quality sound at mid-level and slapping. So without EQs you get more hissing than you'd like in your tuning adjustments. Exhausted's switch helped a lot, but I don't any switch would have completely resolved the problem, because with the amp volume at 3/4 I would still get a hiss with the ric. Not with the modulus, nothing no dead spots, the poor p/us along with the active pickups gives me separate volume, bass, treble and balance. The passive J pickup were replaced. I get more of a fender sound playing at the bridge when needed. I have no problem a getting a quality mid level and slap sound. Like I said the biggest problem I have is adjusting to the weight. I'm either more heavy handed than I guess I realized or I need to try different strings. Because I do notice that when I'm fingering and go to harmonize a chord or I shred, the sound either sustains too long or is a little overbearing. Maybe I'll try your suggestion and play around with combining some of the other amps and see what they sound like. Overall they are really good basses and would say it has better range than ric. I haven't compared it to any of the others, especially my stringray.
    Cool. The hiss from the ric is due to the open single coils. it's that 60 cycle ground loop that has plagued every single coil pickup since their invention. Unfortunately shielding is the only thing that will quiet it though nice power conditioners can help. One thing you might check is if you are running compression on the ric. Compressors work inbetween the actual playing stroke so they are loudest when you aren't playing meaning they pronounce that hiss when tuning.

Definately play with the different amps. It's fun anyway. Your house has to be a fun place to come jam. All that cool stuff. You'll get used to the weight. It's a matter of familiarity. It's pretty rare to pick up a guitar and it feel instantly comfortable. I've grown acoustomed to my LP and quite a few classic guitars that I can't afford. sigh....

In any case the Modulus should be a good new member of the family it just takes some break in time, like a brother or sister in law ;)