Question for Bob.

Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
edited August 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey Bob, I'd guess you'd know. Say I want to replace a finger board on an SG, because I'd like it to be Ebony and not rosewood.

Is it possible to remove a fingerboard from a neck once it's on there or does that pretty much mess up the whole thing?

I was looking around on Stew Mac and I know they sell fingerboards and inlay, but I'm pretty scared about doing fretwork myself. That seems pretty delicate, what do you think?
My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    That sounds frightening...

I'd think it would be easier to just purchase an aftermarket neck with an ebony fretboard. You could probably sell the rosewood neck for 75% value of the ebony neck. That way you'd have a factory-built neck instead of a personally-installed hatchet job... and it would probably cost roughly the same ater you sold the old neck.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Of course, then the hatchet job neck joint won't be great for resale!:( That's not an easy neck to remove or glue in:eek: Ain't no bolts on that thing! It's all mortise and tenon and a one shot deal at gluing it in with the right angle and length to match the string intonation that you have now.

The fret board might steam right off of the neck, but the problem is, it might not,,, depending on the glue. It IS possible, though. Then if you have the bindings with the frets enclosed inside, that complicates matters. That's artwork. Then,, you are putting a new fretboard on one of the great rock and roll guitar necks of all time and it takes a bunch of radius sanding and fancy fretwork to get close to the old one. Oh yeah, the inlay.

I'm looking at my 68 standard now, and I don't think I would ever want to change it unless it was absolutely necessary.
    If you want to try a project like that, try it on a cheapo first.

If the neck feels good now, and the guitar sounds good,, I wouldn't fool with it. The fretboard probably won't make enough of a difference in sound to be worth it.

That's the long answer.
    Here's the short answer:

:eek: NO! GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!

:D
    Hope all is well, Paco and MIG
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    Of course, then the hatchet job neck joint won't be great for resale!:( That's not an easy neck to remove or glue in:eek: Ain't no bolts on that thing! It's all mortise and tenon and a one shot deal at gluing it in with the right angle and length to match the string intonation that you have now.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hope all is well, Paco and MIG

I guess I forget sometimes that Gibson doesn't use the bolt-on method. Still, I would've thought it was easier than that to get a replacement neck. I guess that's a luthier job or bust...

Yeah, doin' okay here... did you read about my new guitar? It's pretty sweet... I'm in love! And my pedalboard is finished for now... unless I try out the Shannon and decide to keep it...

How've you been? I hear good things about the Euro trip...
  • Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    I guess I forget sometimes that Gibson doesn't use the bolt-on method. Still, I would've thought it was easier than that to get a replacement neck. I guess that's a luthier job or bust...

Yeah, doin' okay here... did you read about my new guitar? It's pretty sweet... I'm in love! And my pedalboard is finished for now... unless I try out the Shannon and decide to keep it...

How've you been? I hear good things about the Euro trip...

The Euro trip was incredible. I visited an wonderful person in an awesome country. Venice was just great, too. Nothing like sitting outside in a square on a warm night amongst 600 year old buildings in Venice, with live classical music playing under a full moon,,, sipping wine with the Squirrel.:)

I'll have to look up your guitar,,, congratulations, and I'm glad things are well.

Once you try a Shannon, you'll buy it!:D
    Be kind, man
    The Euro trip was incredible. I visited an wonderful person in an awesome country. Venice was just great, too. Nothing like sitting outside in a square on a warm night amongst 600 year old buildings in Venice, with live classical music playing under a full moon,,, sipping wine with the Squirrel.:)

I'll have to look up your guitar,,, congratulations, and I'm glad things are well.

I was pretty jealous, hearing about the Venice trip. That sounded incredible... I need to win the lottery so I can afford to take a year off and just wander around Europe. Italy especially...

I hear so many good things about the Shannon, I have no doubt I'd be impressed.

Glad to have your wisdom around here again... you're missed when you're gone!
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by who's_pearljam?

yeah, man......thanks for the info and wow...what a trip. Some day I will make it to europe. I bet that was amazing. I'm a huge history buff, so I love 600 year old buildings and I'd love to sing in one of those gigantic old cathedreals.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Originally posted by Pacomc79
    yeah, man......thanks for the info and wow...what a trip. Some day I will make it to europe. I bet that was amazing. I'm a huge history buff, so I love 600 year old buildings and I'd love to sing in one of those gigantic old cathedreals.

Go, man go!!

We saw a string quartet from Salzburg, (home of Mozart) perform in an old old cathedral. It was truly breathtaking. Also went to a pipe organ concert in Graz. This young Hungarian dude was amazing! (I tend to giggle in churches, though and never should have glanced over and elbowed squirrel during the Phantom of the Opera style notes!:D)
    I'd love to get behind the wheel of one of those giant pipe organs.

Other music?
    Listening to Joan Baez on the top of a hill, while sitting on a stone wall looking over the tile roofs of Graz at night.
    Saw Larry Coryell at the Jazz festival in town. (Free) One of the most amazing guitarists on this planet.
    Walking through a square next to one of the many many outdoor restaurants, where an Italian men's choir just happened to be eating, but they sat a sang a song at their tables.
    Sitting in a square in Venice in the afternoon drinking coffee with Squirrel, (Maybe a cocktail), and a musician sat with his cello and played bach cello suites, Mozart, etc. reverberating against those old buildings.
    We were walking down a street in Graz, Squirrel spotted a guy with an accordian that she's seen, and got him to play a tango. It ended up being one of those moments that you realize that you're in the presence of something special. He played several pieces of music that were wonderful. He plays for a philharmonic, and is a professor. When you go to Europe, ( or anywhere) you always gotta be ready for those moments like that.
    I want to go back!

Where's Exhausted? I haven't seen him since I've been back
    Be kind, man

Greg is in rural Alberta for 2 months or so, working, he's got a satillite modem but he's not in often. He'll be back in a while.
  • TelesonicTelesonic Posts: 222
    i concur, don't go there paco. i'll tear pedals apart all day, but i'm not touching my guitars. well, unless its the pickups/electronics.

bob! how have you been?! traveling the world some more eh? i hope i get to see at least half the places you've been in my lifetime. europe is at the top of my list. me too paco, i'm a big history/geography buff, so it'll be awesome to finally put some personal perspective on places i've only read about or seen pictures of.
    my life...you electrify my life. let's conspire to reignite...all the souls that would die just feel alive.
  • Originally posted by Telesonic
    i concur, don't go there paco. i'll tear pedals apart all day, but i'm not touching my guitars. well, unless its the pickups/electronics.

bob! how have you been?! traveling the world some more eh? i hope i get to see at least half the places you've been in my lifetime. europe is at the top of my list. me too paco, i'm a big history/geography buff, so it'll be awesome to finally put some personal perspective on places i've only read about or seen pictures of.

Hey Telesonic! I see you''ve got an overdrive drive going on! Congratulations and well deserved!
    You'all gotta get out and see the world! It's not that hard. Just step forward and do it! No excuses:D
    There is nothing like finally standing in front of a mountain or building, see an animal, or taste food that you've only read about. It makes you rich.
    Don't forget to bring a smile along,

And a phrasebook!:)
    Be kind, man

We saw a string quartet from Salzburg, (home of Mozart) perform in an old old cathedral. It was truly breathtaking. Also went to a pipe organ concert in Graz. This young Hungarian dude was amazing! (I tend to giggle in churches, though and never should have glanced over and elbowed squirrel during the Phantom of the Opera style notes!:D)
    I'd love to get behind the wheel of one of those giant pipe organs.

Other music?
    Listening to Joan Baez on the top of a hill, while sitting on a stone wall looking over the tile roofs of Graz at night.
    Saw Larry Coryell at the Jazz festival in town. (Free) One of the most amazing guitarists on this planet.
    Walking through a square next to one of the many many outdoor restaurants, where an Italian men's choir just happened to be eating, but they sat a sang a song at their tables.
    Sitting in a square in Venice in the afternoon drinking coffee with Squirrel, (Maybe a cocktail), and a musician sat with his cello and played bach cello suites, Mozart, etc. reverberating against those old buildings.
    We were walking down a street in Graz, Squirrel spotted a guy with an accordian that she's seen, and got him to play a tango. It ended up being one of those moments that you realize that you're in the presence of something special. He played several pieces of music that were wonderful. He plays for a philharmonic, and is a professor. When you go to Europe, ( or anywhere) you always gotta be ready for those moments like that.
    I want to go back!

wow! just realised again that we really heard loads of different music when you were here....it was amazing!! some magical moments really!!! :)
  • Originally posted by Squirrel
    wow! just realised again that we really heard loads of different music when you were here....it was amazing!! some magical moments really!!! :)

Thanks to YOU, we saw a lot of music.:D I had a hard enough time just reading the menu!
    I know "Ein bier bitte". One beer please.

Squirrel is an official musician and gearhead now, too, now that she has a Gretsch acoustic!
    She can rock out and play some PJ and Doors now. And a bit of Louis Armstrong!
    Be kind, man
    I know "Ein bier bitte". One beer please.

Squirrel is an official musician and gearhead now, too, now that she has a Gretsch acoustic!
    She can rock out and play some PJ and Doors now. And a bit of Louis Armstrong!

got something for ya bob...as i'm an official musician and gearhead now (yeah right...) :) i'll make my own thread about it here :D:D:D
  • TelesonicTelesonic Posts: 222
    Originally posted by who's_pearljam?
    Hey Telesonic! I see you''ve got an overdrive drive going on! Congratulations and well deserved!
    You'all gotta get out and see the world! It's not that hard. Just step forward and do it! No excuses:D
    There is nothing like finally standing in front of a mountain or building, see an animal, or taste food that you've only read about. It makes you rich.
    Don't forget to bring a smile along,

And a phrasebook!:)

I'm trying bob. once i'm my own boss, i figure i can make it all happen alot sooner.

hey, i've finished my other pedals! i know you said you'd be interested. so here's my generic website:
    http://www.shannon-effects.com

don't forget, since you were my first customer, you get a lifetime discount!
    my life...you electrify my life. let's conspire to reignite...all the souls that would die just feel alive.