Shannon Effects.

Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
edited August 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I propose name changes to set them apart. Pearl Jam fan right? why not name them after songs.

Overdrive = "Animal"

Distortion = "Green Disease"
My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    I propose name changes to set them apart. Pearl Jam fan right? why not name them after songs.

Overdrive = "Animal"

Distortion = "Green Disease"

Seems like a good idea, but it might hurt the marketing. I would hand paint the cases.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by JofZ
    Seems like a good idea, but it might hurt the marketing. I would hand paint the cases.

ahh true. but not everyone has a Jason Myrold, just lying around ready to paint cool paint jobs.

Then again, there are literally thousands of art students with worthless degrees, I'm sure there are a few in Indiana.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    ahh true. but not everyone has a Jason Myrold, just lying around ready to paint cool paint jobs.

Then again, there are literally thousands of art students with worthless degrees, I'm sure there are a few in Indiana.

Yeah art students ar a dime a dozen, sorry Art folks!

It adds emotion to the purchase and could probably even increase value if they start to sell a lot. BFE, Zvex have had a lot of sales simply from the paint IMO.

YOu could tie your PJ idea into the paint which would be cool for those who know and it wont piss off those who don't like em :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
  • TelesonicTelesonic Posts: 222
    i like the concept paco. PJ songs or references would be cool, but I don't think they could appropriately fit. how about the "Not For You" Overdrive? lol, j/k. But yeah, some type of theme would be good. any other suggestions?

The hand painting ain't my thing. I love the straight look of a powder coat, but I can come up with an artsy silkscreen design.
    my life...you electrify my life. let's conspire to reignite...all the souls that would die just feel alive.
    Originally posted by Telesonic
    i like the concept paco. PJ songs or references would be cool, but I don't think they could appropriately fit. how about the "Not For You" Overdrive? lol, j/k. But yeah, some type of theme would be good. any other suggestions?

The hand painting ain't my thing. I love the straight look of a powder coat, but I can come up with an artsy silkscreen design.

The artists can come up with stuff that you can tweak till you are happy. It shouldn't take you more then a week to come up with some direction.

Powder coating is easy and cheap, and in Indy there are dozens of good shops. I use them for racing parts all the time.

Do you have a logo yet?
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

well don't change, I was just throwing it out there. Many people like the no bullshit professional look see: Fulltone.
    Originally posted by JofZ
    The artists can come up with stuff that you can tweak till you are happy. It shouldn't take you more then a week to come up with some direction.

Powder coating is easy and cheap, and in Indy there are dozens of good shops. I use them for racing parts all the time.

Do you have a logo yet?

well, i have a couple friends that are graphic artists who said they could help me out, but that's kinda getting ahead of things right now. the powder coater that i use is here in indy, and they do a really good job. the colors i went with for now just happen to be what they had on hand. in terms of logo, i guess not unless you want to call what's on my website a logo.
    my life...you electrify my life. let's conspire to reignite...all the souls that would die just feel alive.
    well don't change, I was just throwing it out there. Many people like the no bullshit professional look see: Fulltone.

i wasn't saying it was a bad idea or anything. i'd love to incorporate my favorite band into the theme. perhaps some lyrical references? i'm open to ideas.
    well, i have a couple friends that are graphic artists who said they could help me out, but that's kinda getting ahead of things right now. the powder coater that i use is here in indy, and they do a really good job. the colors i went with for now just happen to be what they had on hand. in terms of logo, i guess not unless you want to call what's on my website a logo.

A good logo will help direct your marketing efforts. There are some free software packages that will help you create your own. Or you could hire a guy for $500. Its a good investment in the long run. Indy is the perfect town for powder coaters due to the car community, and custom colors down the road are doable for little money. From what I have seen on the net, everything looks good.

If I can help with marketing or anything else let me know. I have started many companies and I actually just finished the website design and logos for my latest company.

As far as artists, I think you will find many will provide you with their services for free.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

• a bit off topic but do you have any plans to build a wah pedal?
  • any way i can possibly get some sound clips of the pedals? I'm looking into an Overdrive and/or Distortion pedal and i've heard some incredible things about these pedals. Just curious if i could hear them for myself. Thanks.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
    any way i can possibly get some sound clips of the pedals? I'm looking into an Overdrive and/or Distortion pedal and i've heard some incredible things about these pedals. Just curious if i could hear them for myself. Thanks.

http://www.shannon-effects.com e-mail Eric.
  • I too would say that a unifying/branding approach would be good. I'd say the Pearl Jam thing might be a bit too much, as JofZ said you'd be hurting you're marketing. I personally like the simple powder coat, maybe in a custom color someday. What you (Eric) could definately benefit from is a good logo. The silkscreen could be improved a bit too down the line.

As an art student (graphic design), I think it would be pretty cheap to hire someone to create an effective logo. While it might not be "free" as was suggested earlier, it's well worth the money in that it establishes an identity for your company. Simple yet effective is what you should go for.

Eric, let me know if you need any help with this. btw...love the OD pedal....Shannon Rocks!
    Cause I'll stop trying to make a difference. I'm not trying to make a difference. I'll stop trying to make a difference. No way!