Eric Johnson Signature Strat.

Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
edited January 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
If this is really accurate, it's going to be unbelievably good, because you won't find a much more decriminating gear hound than Eric J.

http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM05/Content/Fender/PR/Eric-Johnson-Sig-Strat.html

man it is beautiful.
My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Wonder what the pickup character is going to be...

It's going to be one hell of a pricey guitar, I can tell you that.

If you have a sec, you should read the comments that are posted on the bottom of the page... hilarious...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Wonder what the pickup character is going to be...

It's going to be one hell of a pricey guitar, I can tell you that.

If you have a sec, you should read the comments that are posted on the bottom of the page... hilarious...

My first thought was, damn that's going to be expensive as hell. I'm guessing in the 2+ range.

I don't even know what Eric's got in there at this point, I think they are originals so probably CS 54's.

I love the one....."because Fender refuses to wet sand any guitar under $5,000."

It's for this reason, I really should buy an after market piece over a Fender.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    My first thought was, damn that's going to be expensive as hell. I'm guessing in the 2+ range.

I don't even know what Eric's got in there at this point, I think they are originals so probably CS 54's.

It says, "pickups with countersink screws and wound to Eric's specifications."

I would imagine they're a modified 54 clone, but not a plain CS 54.

I would guess $2400-2600.
    It says, "pickups with countersink screws and wound to Eric's specifications."

I would imagine they're a modified 54 clone, but not a plain CS 54.

I would guess $2400-2600.

good guess. maybe even $2900 or over 3K MSRP, Guitar Center will sell dozens at $2500

I'm sure they will come with a fun little case, strap, Meguiars Kit and sticker.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    good guess. maybe even $2900 or over 3K MSRP, Guitar Center will sell dozens at $2500

I'm sure they will come with a fun little case, strap, Meguiars Kit and sticker.

Yeah, I was guessing street price. MSRP is nothing but a little joke for the corporate office's benefit.

You could plug that beauty into this new Fender:

http://www.fender.com/products/show.php?partno=2282000

Gag me with a spoon.
  • Another halfway-interesting Sig Strat:

http://www.fender.com/products/show.php?partno=0155102
    Yeah, I was guessing street price. MSRP is nothing but a little joke for the corporate office's benefit.

You could plug that beauty into this new Fender:

http://www.fender.com/products/show.php?partno=2282000

Gag me with a spoon.

OH MY.............*throws up lunch*

hahahahahahahaha

Maybe I'll sell my orange and get a Mode Four and that beauty to run in stereo.

Why fender WHY?????

The new bassman and twin are awesome and then..... the tone department just takes a dump.

jeez.
    Another halfway-interesting Sig Strat:

http://www.fender.com/products/show.php?partno=0155102

The trower looks cool but, I've decided to take my belt sander and a lighter to my new one when it gets here so I can have an authentic rory gallagher tribute.
    http://www.fender.com/products/show.php?partno=8140500

this is bad ass, and the speakers are webber designed. and you can jump channels and you can take out one rectifier.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    Why fender WHY?????

The new bassman and twin are awesome and then..... the tone department just takes a dump.

jeez.

"We're Fender, the world's most respected manufacturer of tube amplifiers for guitar. Now look at our solid-state Mesa clone!"

Because the Cyber amps do such a great job at modeling hi-gain, why not?

Fender hasn't designed a great new amp in 40 years, and the only decent amps designed in that time are the Hot Rod and Blues Deville/Deluxes.

Then again, Marshall hasn't done anything since the JCM 800 that would be considered great.

So, we have the old question... rest on their (ample) laurels, or try to move forward in a meaningful way... I think we can all agree the "MetalHead" is not the right move.
    "We're Fender, the world's most respected manufacturer of tube amplifiers for guitar. Now look at our solid-state Mesa clone!"

Because the Cyber amps do such a great job at modeling hi-gain, why not?

Fender hasn't designed a great new amp in 40 years, and the only decent amps designed in that time are the Hot Rod and Blues Deville/Deluxes.

Then again, Marshall hasn't done anything since the JCM 800 that would be considered great.

So, we have the old question... rest on their (ample) laurels, or try to move forward in a meaningful way... I think we can all agree the "MetalHead" is not the right move.

550 watts of screaming transistor madness.

It's like bolting a thousand shot of nitrous and a gigantic supercharger to a Yugo.

VOLUME does not = TONE.

They should have learned from the attrocious dyna touch series.

Reliable? just being a transistor amp does not make it reliable especially if it's built by children in China, Korea or Mexico and every soldier joint is cold.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    http://www.fender.com/products/show.php?partno=8140500

this is bad ass, and the speakers are webber designed. and you can jump channels and you can take out one rectifier.

I didn't know the speakers were Weber-related... that's cool. Made by Eminence, I would assume?

That would be the ideal combo amp to use in place of my Sovtek... I would love to get my grubby hands on one. What's the street price on that puppy?
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    550 watts of screaming transistor madness.

It's like bolting a thousand shot of nitrous and a gigantic supercharger to a Yugo.

VOLUME does not = TONE.

Yeah... like a 50 watt amp isn't loud enough for any show I've ever played. Or a 22-watt Deluxe Reverb, for that matter... (I know, tube watts versus transister watts).

It's one of those things where the people who think 550 watts is better deserve an amp that sounds that bad.
    I didn't know the speakers were Weber-related... that's cool. Made by Eminence, I would assume?

That would be the ideal combo amp to use in place of my Sovtek... I would love to get my grubby hands on one. What's the street price on that puppy?

used is key. street price is predictably ridiculous at over 2K.

Used I've seen it at $1500

A studio guy I hung out with for an hour or two and talked p/u's told me they were designed by Webber, they sound damn good, likely manufactured by Eminence. It's a solid tweed amp. It nails the vintage tone and it's really transparent as far as being able to tell positions, pickups and whatnot. different guitars sound markedly different. not a new design but an excellent re pro.

The limited ed. 4x10 bassman is $1200 in lacquered tweed as well and it sounds awesome as well.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    used is key. street price is predictably ridiculous at over 2K.

Used I've seen it at $1500

A studio guy I hung out with for an hour or two and talked p/u's told me they were designed by Webber, they sound damn good, likely manufactured by Eminence. It's a solid tweed amp. It nails the vintage tone and it's really transparent as far as being able to tell positions, pickups and whatnot. different guitars sound markedly different. not a new design but an excellent re pro.

The limited ed. 4x10 bassman is $1200 in lacquered tweed as well and it sounds awesome as well.

I'd be satisfied with a regular Bassman RI. Those are around $600-700 on eBay. Jensen P10R's, if I remember right.

I'd really like to see Fender issue head-only versions of their 65 RI series... Deluxe Reverb, Twin Reverb, Super Reverb. And a reissued 65 Bassman head is a little overdue, too. Hell, even a head-only 59 Bassman reissue would be cool. I just like to pick my own speakers... maybe I'm a minority there...
    I'd be satisfied with a regular Bassman RI. Those are around $600-700 on eBay. Jensen P10R's, if I remember right.

I'd really like to see Fender issue head-only versions of their 65 RI series... Deluxe Reverb, Twin Reverb, Super Reverb. And a reissued 65 Bassman head is a little overdue, too. Hell, even a head-only 59 Bassman reissue would be cool. I just like to pick my own speakers... maybe I'm a minority there...

no I'd like the same although original 65 bassman heads are fairly cheap.

I played a trussart deville through one of the new bassmans the other day....it was heavenly. but the trussart obviously is out of my league price wise.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    no I'd like the same although original 65 bassman heads are fairly cheap.

As far as that goes, a reissue Bassman head would probably go for $600-800 new... the originals in decent condition cost about $400-500 on eBay... probably not a practical idea.

Now, perhaps a reissued Champ... or a Champ Reverb...

Of course, nobody could ever dream of reissuing the Vibro Champ. You just don't mess with THAT mojo.
    As far as that goes, a reissue Bassman head would probably go for $600-800 new... the originals in decent condition cost about $400-500 on eBay... probably not a practical idea.

Now, perhaps a reissued Champ... or a Champ Reverb...

Of course, nobody could ever dream of reissuing the Vibro Champ. You just don't mess with THAT mojo.

I'd love to see it, as a custom shop piece, the old champ circuit hand wired with something like an Area 51 tube bias tremolo coupled with inside. One 6v6 one 12AX7 in the drive stage and an AT7 or so for the tremolo. Weber alnico speaker. Pine cabinet. Blackface styling.....mojo extra.