Marshall continues to cash in on legacy.

Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
edited July 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp/2005/Plexi-Stack-Ships.html

Oh yay, now we can buy a handwired plexi again, for the exact same price the originals are selling for. $4000

No thanks, Greg Germino builds them at least this good for half the price.
My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp/2005/Plexi-Stack-Ships.html

Oh yay, now we can buy a handwired plexi again, for the exact same price the originals are selling for. $4000

No thanks, Greg Germino builds them at least this good for half the price.
    I think it is cool they are offering them, but I have heard the tone still isn't what is should be for the price. And I think Greg builds em better, using better components and he takes his time, 12 weeks for an amp is a long time in my book :)
    I just ordered a D*A*M Mk II for the JTM 45 should nail the early Page stuff, has the Oc81s too I can't wait to hear it.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    JofZ wrote:
    I think it is cool they are offering them, but I have heard the tone still isn't what is should be for the price. And I think Greg builds em better, using better components and he takes his time, 12 weeks for an amp is a long time in my book :)
    I just ordered a D*A*M Mk II for the JTM 45 should nail the early Page stuff, has the Oc81s too I can't wait to hear it.

$1800 for a cabinet with G12H30's?

I can get an avitar cab with hellatone 30's (broken in G12H30's) for around $350.

The DAM's look cool. I like the switichable transistors too.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    $1800 for a cabinet with G12H30's?

I can get an avitar cab with hellatone 30's (broken in G12H30's) for around $350.

The DAM's look cool. I like the switichable transistors too.

The cab prices make no sense at all. I got a 212 with G12H30s for 850 from Germino, it is his new style too the baffle can be removed. Some people want the Marshall name, they aren't dumb :)
    I know there is no shortage of the PTP marshall ri stuff, so I wonder if they did their market research properly LOL
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    JofZ wrote:
    The cab prices make no sense at all. I got a 212 with G12H30s for 850 from Germino, it is his new style too the baffle can be removed. Some people want the Marshall name, they aren't dumb :)
    I know there is no shortage of the PTP marshall ri stuff, so I wonder if they did their market research properly LOL

My guess is the same people buying Harley Davidsons at +20 grand are the same people buying Marshall PTP's without doing any research.

To quote PT Barnum....*ahem* "There's one born every minute."
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    My guess is the same people buying Harley Davidsons at +20 grand are the same people buying Marshall PTP's without doing any research.

To quote PT Barnum....*ahem* "There's one born every minute."
    Or there is an ass for every seat!
    Brand name loyalty is an interesting topic, some say if BMW put their roundel on a bag of poo people would still buy it. Look at the crazy prices people pay for many items just to have a logo.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

JofZ wrote:
    Or there is an ass for every seat!
    Brand name loyalty is an interesting topic, some say if BMW put their roundel on a bag of poo people would still buy it. Look at the crazy prices people pay for many items just to have a logo.

wait, I thought BMW already put their roundel on a round..... oh nevermind.

Prada, Armani, Roos......
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    Well,

I bought a Bassman LTD which was the basis for the JTM 45... so my amp is better, or something.

Seriously though... the Marshall cab prices make no sense to me... I wouldn't mind a HW 18 watter though.

A lot of companies are cashing in on legacies... thankfully my new gibson isn't an example of that. ;)
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    Well,

I bought a Bassman LTD which was the basis for the JTM 45... so my amp is better, or something.

Seriously though... the Marshall cab prices make no sense to me... I wouldn't mind a HW 18 watter though.

A lot of companies are cashing in on legacies... thankfully my new gibson isn't an example of that. ;)

if you still want the verb, I posted a ebay modified Clark Tyger last week that had an added tube driven reverb. I bet Clark or Kendrick (who is in Texas) could easily do that on your new baddass LTD.

congrats on both. Everytime I want to sell the LP, I change the strings and it's perfect again. I just need to swap pups.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    if you still want the verb, I posted a ebay modified Clark Tyger last week that had an added tube driven reverb. I bet Clark or Kendrick (who is in Texas) could easily do that on your new baddass LTD.

congrats on both. Everytime I want to sell the LP, I change the strings and it's perfect again. I just need to swap pups.

Thanks. I know Kendrick does mods to bassman platforms... down the road I might have to look into that.

The LP is great... the neck is really nice... and the whole thing is very alive. It is like a bigger stronger version of my SG... more of the good stuff.

I am picking up a sparkle drive tonight to mess with... then I plan to get a minimass, and reverb of some kind to complete my setup.
    There's No Code.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    wait, I thought BMW already put their roundel on a round..... oh nevermind.

Prada, Armani, Roos......
    Silly isn't it that people will pay 4k for a jacket, and you can't even really wear it or it will get ruined LOL
    Are you referring to the Z4, 5er, 7er, 6er, new 3er, oh wait that is the entire line.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

House53 wrote:
    Thanks. I know Kendrick does mods to bassman platforms... down the road I might have to look into that.

The LP is great... the neck is really nice... and the whole thing is very alive. It is like a bigger stronger version of my SG... more of the good stuff.

I am picking up a sparkle drive tonight to mess with... then I plan to get a minimass, and reverb of some kind to complete my setup.

+1 on the minimass. I believe you once owned an EH reverb.

http://www.tpngear.com/index.htm

go with the new Clark/Barber Gainster or barber LTD before the Sparkle drive.

I believe the LTD is the same price even.

regardless. I'm kind of envious. the new bassman is that good. Oh, and then theres the R6. That by itself, is an awesome rig.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    +1 on the minimass. I believe you once owned an EH reverb.

I really like the sparkledrive... it sounds like an 808, my fav od tone. That and the minimass will give me a good setup... the reverb would really be just for home use... once you get the amp pushed it doesn't need the verb.
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    I really like the sparkledrive... it sounds like an 808, my fav od tone. That and the minimass will give me a good setup... the reverb would really be just for home use... once you get the amp pushed it doesn't need the verb.

true. To each his own with everything anyhow. If you play a lot of stones or blues you may eventually want something for light slapback verb live or at home. I use the tube echo model (echoplex) in my DL4. One of the older blues guys around with money has an original he runs into the vibroking. I just don't have that kind of scrilla for that or the new baddass fulltone model.
    there are so many great ODs and boost pedals it is has become brain and pedal board overload. I don't think you can go wrong with any of Barbers pedals, cheap, solid build. I would look into the SBEQ by BJF, it is a really neat pedal. Part eq, part boost, you can dial out anything with a twist of 2 knobs. It adds a shimmer to your tone that is unreal, and I have been told it is just killer with an acoustic rig. It makes a great amp sound better if that is possible, I leave it on all the time and run it last. You can also use it as a light distortion pedal. I think it has become Bjs most requested unit. It takes humbuckers and singlescoils equally well. With your rig I would look into it.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

• the only marshall i will ever get is an ORIGINAL plexi and an original jcm900
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
    the only marshall i will ever get is an ORIGINAL plexi and an original jcm900

I would take an original JTM 45 or a Bluesbreaker combo (both with KT66s)... also a JCM800 if I am going to be playing harder rock.
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    I would take an original JTM 45 or a Bluesbreaker combo (both with KT66s)... also a JCM800 if I am going to be playing harder rock.
    JTM 45 with KT66s is the tone I have gassed for forever, so I pulled the trigger on a Germino Classic 45 last month. I can't say never, but I don't know that I would ever buy a vintage amp unless it was in complete original condition and I would just put it away. The Germino will be played to death :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?