If the build time is 9mo's should I still go for it?

Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
edited July 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Thanks to people finding out about the secret, if I don't get my order into Nash in the next week or two the custom shop won't be available only through stores. However there is a 9 month wait.

I'm looking for medium C, gotoh vintage lockers, early 60's strat body, 3 tone burst, Fralin blues in the neck and the middle a S-90 in the bridge, 5 way with a blendable (all in) feature. I don't know that I can get all this without waiting 9 months but that's a hell of a long time especially for sight unseen. What do you guys think? Looks like I'm spending 4 to 5 grand if I don't get it in in the next couple of weeks or I put the electronics in myself I guess.
My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    Thanks to people finding out about the secret, if I don't get my order into Nash in the next week or two the custom shop won't be available only through stores. However there is a 9 month wait.

I'm looking for medium C, gotoh vintage lockers, early 60's strat body, 3 tone burst, Fralin blues in the neck and the middle a S-90 in the bridge, 5 way with a blendable (all in) feature. I don't know that I can get all this without waiting 9 months but that's a hell of a long time especially for sight unseen. What do you guys think? Looks like I'm spending 4 to 5 grand if I don't get it in in the next couple of weeks or I put the electronics in myself I guess.

9 months is a long time... but if it is the guitar you want and the right price... 9 months isn't so bad.

Look at it this way. If you are flexible on the specs, or think those ideals will change... wait. If that is WHAT YOU WANT... order it.

I am working on a deal for a Savage amp today. I am getting close.
    There's No Code.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    House53 wrote:
    9 months is a long time... but if it is the guitar you want and the right price... 9 months isn't so bad.

Look at it this way. If you are flexible on the specs, or think those ideals will change... wait. If that is WHAT YOU WANT... order it.

I am working on a deal for a Savage amp today. I am getting close.

sweet. I like savage a lot.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i just don't know if it's worth the cost. i think there are other options out there.

i don't know. i'm bad to ask.

i just bought another strat. :o
  • kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    ive been waiting since january to be able to get my strat (had to pay off my loan on my car first) and i`ll be getting it in a month. ( months may seem like a long time but it`ll go quickly and if you dont do it then you`ll probably spend the rest of your life wishing you did. besides its kinda cool to be able to say to people "oh my guitars on order its soo cool its gonna take em nine months to get it to me!" ;) much better than saying im getting it from the layaway shop down the block next week ;) which of those statements will make you sound rock and roll to the girls? ;)
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    Pacomc79 wrote:

Are you looking for a worn one?

Hell, I think you could wear one out to those standards in that amount of time! :D

For that price?:

unfinished Warmouth body of your choice
    A few cans of Stew Mac Nitrocellulose lacquer
    Paint body, scrape it on the floor a bit, take a wooden spoon to it, then put the body in the oven to heat it to 180 degrees, then take it out and put it in the freezer,,,, voila!!! crackled aged paint!

(don't tell anyone I told you that!!!!!!)

Then:
    Install pickups, electronics, tuners, neck of choice!

$700.00 -800.00 tops!

Unless the oven catches fire.

Then add $700 - $900

You'd STILL be ahead, though!

:D

I KNOW you can do it Paco!! Go for it!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    I am getting ready to do pretty much what who's_pearljam is talking about except no aged finish and I will walnut stain and clear coat a black Korina body instead of paint it. I just can't decide on the body, its between a Strat, Tele, SG, or an Explorer. Warmoth Stuff is great.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Are you looking for a worn one?

Hell, I think you could wear one out to those standards in that amount of time! :D

For that price?:

unfinished Warmouth body of your choice
    A few cans of Stew Mac Nitrocellulose lacquer
    Paint body, scrape it on the floor a bit, take a wooden spoon to it, then put the body in the oven to heat it to 180 degrees, then take it out and put it in the freezer,,,, voila!!! crackled aged paint!

(don't tell anyone I told you that!!!!!!)

Then:
    Install pickups, electronics, tuners, neck of choice!

$700.00 -800.00 tops!

Unless the oven catches fire.

Then add $700 - $900

You'd STILL be ahead, though!

:D

I KNOW you can do it Paco!! Go for it!

More recently I'm thinking of doing just that. Roxy finishing is moving back in with USA Custom Guitars in Tacoma, Wash. I'm probably going to order a nice early 60's style S body and a Flame maple neck, I haven't decided to go with one piece or 2 yet, I probably will go with brazillian rosewood, and get roxy to finish it in with the darker lacquer. Roxy uses Urethane not nitro, I'm unsure yet if I want them to paint the body because Nitro is traditional and I know the aging process is a good one. I don't need it "relic'd" I'll do that on my own. I just really liked the finishes that bill came up with and I know he does very good work. I guess I'll try and put it toegther myself it might be more rewarding that way. I wonder how hard it will be to wire an extra blend pot to get all on or if that's even possible from HD and Fralin. I think so. I think Fralin actually has a design up on the website.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    More recently I'm thinking of doing just that. Roxy finishing is moving back in with USA Custom Guitars in Tacoma, Wash. I'm probably going to order a nice early 60's style S body and a Flame maple neck, I haven't decided to go with one piece or 2 yet, I probably will go with brazillian rosewood, and get roxy to finish it in with the darker lacquer. Roxy uses Urethane not nitro, I'm unsure yet if I want them to paint the body because Nitro is traditional and I know the aging process is a good one. I don't need it "relic'd" I'll do that on my own. I just really liked the finishes that bill came up with and I know he does very good work. I guess I'll try and put it toegther myself it might be more rewarding that way. I wonder how hard it will be to wire an extra blend pot to get all on or if that's even possible from HD and Fralin. I think so. I think Fralin actually has a design up on the website.

Not this one necessarily, but this might be up your alley!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7338237816&category=2384&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1

I'm in the process of an experiment now.
    I bought painted up funky Tele body off Ebay, and got the B bender and nice hardware, but I never really like all the urethane paints and sealers, so I finally got it down to the bare wood, after a lot of toxic strippers and finally, got it to bare wood. With all the polyurethane and plastic sealer coats, I wonder why they even used wood for the body!
    Maybe today or tomorrow, I'm putting the thing together with bare wood and see what the difference in sound is. I've done it before with Strat bodies, then painted them with lighter coats of Nitro, and I think the sound opens up nicely. The Urethane will never age, but the Nitro will, if that's what you like.

As far as blend pots, I did see that on Lindy's site,,,,, an he sort of kind of knows what he's doing! :D I really had the desire to try that. I bet Telesonic could do that! :cool:

I still really like my Deluxe Strat with the Colbalts, though. That's my strat of choice now. To me, it's about as perfect as a strat gets.
    Be kind, man

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7338237816&category=2384&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1

I'm in the process of an experiment now.
    I bought painted up funky Tele body off Ebay, and got the B bender and nice hardware, but I never really like all the urethane paints and sealers, so I finally got it down to the bare wood, after a lot of toxic strippers and finally, got it to bare wood. With all the polyurethane and plastic sealer coats, I wonder why they even used wood for the body!
    Maybe today or tomorrow, I'm putting the thing together with bare wood and see what the difference in sound is. I've done it before with Strat bodies, then painted them with lighter coats of Nitro, and I think the sound opens up nicely. The Urethane will never age, but the Nitro will, if that's what you like.

As far as blend pots, I did see that on Lindy's site,,,,, an he sort of kind of knows what he's doing! :D I really had the desire to try that. I bet Telesonic could do that! :cool:

I still really like my Deluxe Strat with the Colbalts, though. That's my strat of choice now. To me, it's about as perfect as a strat gets.

In the end I seem to end up going back to whatever AM deluxe they have in the stores with Cobalts and the S-1 system. They are awesome. I do really want to try an SD 90 in the bridge though and I love Fralin pups. I may end up just buying a fender deluxe and upgrading.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    In the end I seem to end up going back to whatever AM deluxe they have in the stores with Cobalts and the S-1 system. They are awesome. I do really want to try an SD 90 in the bridge though and I love Fralin pups. I may end up just buying a fender deluxe and upgrading.

Maybe what you oughta do is make up a fender pickguard with your pickups and electronics of choice on it first, then you can slip it into a couple of different Strats until you get the feel and sound that you want!
    If you get a Deluxe, you can just switch out the pickguard, and sell the cobalt set up if you want,,, or wrap it up and snap it back in when you want!

Ooooh,,,,, you know,,,, that might be it! :cool:
    Be kind, man
    Maybe what you oughta do is make up a fender pickguard with your pickups and electronics of choice on it first, then you can slip it into a couple of different Strats until you get the feel and sound that you want!
    If you get a Deluxe, you can just switch out the pickguard, and sell the cobalt set up if you want,,, or wrap it up and snap it back in when you want!

Ooooh,,,,, you know,,,, that might be it! :cool:

yeah and callaham guitars has such tempting parts including that shielding plate.