The Holy Grail.

Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
edited August 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=9275000328

Make mine in 3 color sunburst please.

drool here X
My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Pacomc79 wrote:

drool here X

I said it once and I will say it again, every Relic I have played has been great. Is it worth the 3K +? Not sure, but they all feel like my favorite pair of jeans.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    JofZ wrote:
    I said it once and I will say it again, every Relic I have played has been great. Is it worth the 3K +? Not sure, but they all feel like my favorite pair of jeans.

a master built or one off 1959 strat. wow. I'd marry it. It'd probably treat me nicer than the women in my life.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    "Shows natural wear and tear of years of heavy use, nicks, scratches, worn finish, oxidized hardware and aged plastic parts."

I always feel this is pretty cheesy. I have to laugh at the part "shows natural wear and tear from years of heavy use" when it's a brand new guitar. If you want your guitar to have that worn and torn look then play the shit out of it.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • surferdude wrote:
    "Shows natural wear and tear of years of heavy use, nicks, scratches, worn finish, oxidized hardware and aged plastic parts."

I always feel this is pretty cheesy. I have to laugh at the part "shows natural wear and tear from years of heavy use" when it's a brand new guitar. If you want your guitar to have that worn and torn look then play the shit out of it.
    its like those abercrombie jeans preppie rich kids buy to look cool... you know.. the factory ripped ones?..

lammmmmme ;)

nice guitar otherwise.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
    surferdude wrote:

I disagree. Relics are more then just a new ax tossed around in a magic box with keys and screws to make it look old. There is a lot of time that goes into each and every one. The Gibson Murphy aged guitars are on an whole different level. Every aspect of the guitar is better in my opinion. The necks all feel better, broken in. The cheesy parts as you mention are only if someone tries to play it off as a real vintage ax. I have seen a couple that might fool someone at a distance, but anyone who knows a little about vintage guitars will know what they are seeing. On top of all the above, Fender's Relics are avilable from the Master Custom shop and the luthiers there are head and shouldars above the rest of the people on the line IMO.

I am glad they offer these pieces to the public and hope they continue to do so, with the reception the market has given them it looks like they will be around for a long, long time.

I have a great article on Murphy's aging process, it is something that I wouldn't dare try to replicate and the end result is simply stunning.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
  • My only problem with Relics, and please don't shun me for this is, I'd rather put the first wear marks in it please.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    JofZ wrote:
    I disagree. Relics are more then just a new ax tossed around in a magic box with keys and screws to make it look old. There is a lot of time that goes into each and every one. The Gibson Murphy aged guitars are on an whole different level. Every aspect of the guitar is better in my opinion. The necks all feel better, broken in. The cheesy parts as you mention are only if someone tries to play it off as a real vintage ax. I have seen a couple that might fool someone at a distance, but anyone who knows a little about vintage guitars will know what they are seeing. On top of all the above, Fender's Relics are avilable from the Master Custom shop and the luthiers there are head and shouldars above the rest of the people on the line IMO.

I am glad they offer these pieces to the public and hope they continue to do so, with the reception the market has given them it looks like they will be around for a long, long time.

I have a great article on Murphy's aging process, it is something that I wouldn't dare try to replicate and the end result is simply stunning.

I'm all for better quality and feel. But I'm sorry having the paint worn off in places so it can look cooler just seems hookie to me. Aging a guitar I thought was done to help give it the same sound as an older guitar. I understand the older the wood the more dried it gets, changing the sound. Same goes for the finish. But on the guitar mentioned I don't believe that "nicks, scratches" will add anything to the sound. I could be wrong though. Regardless it's beautiful and beats what I play.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    a master built or one off 1959 strat. wow. I'd marry it. It'd probably treat me nicer than the women in my life.

You're way to young to be chanting the blues like that brother. That and you're white :D

You go and marry a good cooking woman and keep your soon to be custom built guitar as your mistress. Sin makes for a much more heartfelt cry and wail, definitly from a strat.

so anyway: nice guitar
  • 1) They do make those Strats nice to play. How about a session with your new Deluxe Strat and a sander, nuts and bolts and the sidewalk in front of my house,,, , put the body on the dashboard of a hot car, or in the trunk, or in an oven to heat it up,, then throw it in the freezer. Voila ! Aged cracked finish! (actually needs to be Nitro lacquer, though)

2) pearlwax!!!! It's great to see you! That was a great night in the city! :cool: Great meeting you, and I hope to see you on your side of the pond someday soon!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

You can have the sunburst...

That Sonic Blue looked tasty to me.

I hate new guitars, so if I can get a guitar that has the shine worn off without me having to gig with it five years first, fine. Get the neck nice and smooth without the sticky-laquer feel, especially...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • looks like it only comes in blue.
  • MetalGod75MetalGod75 Posts: 262
    Pacomc79 wrote:

drool here X
    what just like McCready's?:)
    Cornell pwns u
    1) They do make those Strats nice to play. How about a session with your new Deluxe Strat and a sander, nuts and bolts and the sidewalk in front of my house,,, , put the body on the dashboard of a hot car, or in the trunk, or in an oven to heat it up,, then throw it in the freezer. Voila ! Aged cracked finish! (actually needs to be Nitro lacquer, though)

2) pearlwax!!!! It's great to see you! That was a great night in the city! :cool: Great meeting you, and I hope to see you on your side of the pond someday soon!

Many have done the ice and hairdryer, or freeze and fry. It produces an unnatural cracking, like a hardboiled egg if the shell gets rolled without breaking all the way. It looks really fake IMO. The real artists take an exacto knife and pain stakingly slice each and every line, trying to mimic the natural curves of real checking. It can takes hours, days, and it is not something anyone can do. That is just one small part, you still have to remove a part of the finish and age the hardware and plastics. Oh and it is nice when the artist makes sure he leaves the dark spots under where the plastic bits where to really make it authentic. Then you have the neck, too much sanding and it is toast, not enough and it wont feel broken in. My murph even has a checked neck and slight broken in spots at the 5th and 12th frets to mimic a player who sat on those 2 frets for 40 years. On the Fender relics with Maple boards you have to sand inbetween the frets to give it the scallop aged effect. My point with all of this, is there is cheese and there is a pro aging job worth thousands.
    Go play a Fender Relic and the American equiv. non relic and honestly tell me there isn't a difference. Then go play a standard LP and a Murphy. I personally feel the aging like MIG said adds the broken in feel without going through about 5 years of playing. But it is a little more, the big companies who are offering this are putting their best people on them, so you are getting the best product they can produce with today's woods. It is as close to vintage you can get without buying a guitar for house money.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    JofZ wrote:
    But it is a little more, the big companies who are offering this are putting their best people on them, so you are getting the best product they can produce with today's woods.

That's the ultimate caveat... not only do they start with a much better guitar, but once they start the "aging" process, the attention to detail goes through the roof. Neck gaps, fret leveling, hardware alignment... every aspect of the guitar is gone through yet again with an EXTREMELY attentive eye, and any true flaws are fixed to high standards. Yes, the checked and worn look of the guitar might strike you as cheesy, but the ultimate product is an amazing guitar to play and hear.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Spook FishSpook Fish Posts: 241
    I Agree, those Relic fenders must be built to the highest quality when theve got masters churnin them out. dam expensive though.....i want one......
    Dont take drugs and be a loser
    wear a pink shirt and go down the boozer