Seperation Anxiety and the Spend Pac's money thread.

Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
edited August 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Ok, so just today I've sold both my keeleys and they'll be shipping out tomorrow, hard to part with them but it's time for a fresh start. Once I sell the Dyna Comp hopefully to a local guy for about 50 bucks, I'll have enough for SOB strings and if I so choose a shiny awesome Emerald Green Distortion Machine, from the magic colorful elves that build BJF (Mad Professor) across the pond.

So let's here your other suggestions.

In the Mix. Lovepedal - Twin 60, 60, Black Beauty Balance, Cot 50

Analogman - KOT, Sun Lion.

Foxrox - Captain Coconut 2 (Jimi in a box)

ok. help me spend my money.

Nothing from Landgraff or Cornish, I don't wish to take out a second mortgage.
My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    exhausted wrote:

Smartass :D yeah that's on there too. I think I'll probably go with homogenous alder though.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    really? i thought you were cuckoo for ash?

there. perfect.

http://fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0101200700
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    I am diggin the Twin 60, it has enough Cot in it that you probably could skip the Cot (1 on ebay as well). Many of Sean's pedals overlap to some degree. The BBB is a cot and fuzz and the fuzz can be dialed out all the way. If I had to buy 1 lovepedal it would be the BBB, just because they are each so different and have so much mojo. The EGDM being pushed by the Eternity is just amazing. When you coming through Chi-town? You can play with them all :)
    BJ just sent out my PPP and SBF, you'll never figure out what they are hehehe
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
    exhausted wrote:
    really? i thought you were cuckoo for ash?

there. perfect.

http://fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0101200700

I thought I was too, hell maybe I am, I just wonder if it's too bright. That thing is so sexy. It's such a better deal than the alternative. I still want to build something but I think I will go ahead and get that thing and just put some lemon oil on the back of the neck to darken it a bit.

Ok, next question, do I go with Musicians Friend get a free Ipod and pray they send me a good one? Or continue to search look and pray I find the perfect one?

I've got some solid songs lately too. I need to record them soon and send them too you for you to ridicule.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    Ok, next question, do I go with Musicians Friend get a free Ipod and pray they send me a good one? Or continue to search look and pray I find the perfect one?

I was curious about this too. I know Musicians Friend is the online front of Guitar Center, but is it really just a crap shoot ordering something from there and hoping you get it intact and decent?
    moster78 wrote:
    I was curious about this too. I know Musicians Friend is the online front of Guitar Center, but is it really just a crap shoot ordering something from there and hoping you get it intact and decent?

well, it appears they do have a 45 day return policy. The plusses are not having 12 people eating chicken fingers handling your new axe. It's not that I don't trust Fender's quality control, wait, yes it is. :) Regardless I've played dozens of those same guitars all have been excellent so I'd assume one from them would be excellent too, and I used to work for GC so I know the drill.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    It's not that I don't trust Fender's quality control, wait, yes it is. :)

I've heard the same thing about Gibson's quality control.
    moster78 wrote:
    I've heard the same thing about Gibson's quality control.

Gibsons is probably worse. The Chinese Fenders is absolute garbage, but then again for 5 year olds they do a really good job. Most of thiers are ok.

Gibson is cutting corners everywhere. By the time the guitars get in some of the setups are great others are absolutely horrid, For a 2000+ guitar that's completely un-acceptable not only that the cheap looking rosewood and greening inlays look bad. Epiphones coming out of Korea (Samik) seem better in some cases than some gibson's I've played. Plastic button Klusons should be a thing of the past.

Also I hope they are paying royalties to Andy Marshall becaue their new attenuator is a direct copy of the THD Hotplate.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    Gibsons is probably worse. The Chinese Fenders is absolute garbage, but then again for 5 year olds they do a really good job. Most of thiers are ok.

Gibson is cutting corners everywhere. By the time the guitars get in some of the setups are great others are absolutely horrid, For a 2000+ guitar that's completely un-acceptable not only that the cheap looking rosewood and greening inlays look bad. Epiphones coming out of Korea (Samik) seem better in some cases than some gibson's I've played. Plastic button Klusons should be a thing of the past.

Also I hope they are paying royalties to Andy Marshall becaue their new attenuator is a direct copy of the THD Hotplate.

Ouch, although I didn't understand much of the second half of what you said. I still just have an acoustic and haven't been playing long, but I have my sights set on my first electric by year end. Its still an ongoing debate between a Fender or a Gibson. Granted I'll have to sample each before I make a final decision, its just not reassuring to hear that for so much money you're getting something that could be of sub-par quality.
    moster78 wrote:
    Ouch, although I didn't understand much of the second half of what you said. I still just have an acoustic and haven't been playing long, but I have my sights set on my first electric by year end. Its still an ongoing debate between a Fender or a Gibson. Granted I'll have to sample each before I make a final decision, its just not reassuring to hear that for so much money you're getting something that could be of sub-par quality.

well I don't want to be down on them and dishearten you. There are some really great guitars out there at all price levels. Gibson disapoints me because of things that they don't give you for the high price, what they sell for the most part is still a quality unit often times they just require a bit of TLC to get to where they should be set up wise. I tend to believe they should be perfect from the factory.

Much of the things I say are nitpiks and things that bother me. You have to know an awful lot about every model to know what they change and why.

For the Money the Epiphone Elitist line is one of the best out there.
    moster78 wrote:

I bought my 57 RI from them and it was a beautiful deal and one of the best sounding strats I have ever heard, lucky? Maybe :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    well I don't want to be down on them and dishearten you. There are some really great guitars out there at all price levels. Gibson disapoints me because of things that they don't give you for the high price, what they sell for the most part is still a quality unit often times they just require a bit of TLC to get to where they should be set up wise. I tend to believe they should be perfect from the factory.

Much of the things I say are nitpiks and things that bother me. You have to know an awful lot about every model to know what they change and why.

What things exactly? I'm just highly curious.
  • Pac, I know you wanna buy guitar stuff with that money, but seriously....

there are 24s of five alive for 5.70 at no frills here. TWO FOURS.

You could get a years worth of five alive for... 200$.

Sun Lion aint got nothing on 24 cases of five alive.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
    Pacomc79 wrote:

of course. it's just licensed. with a horrid paint job and hilariously bad name.

i'm so torn about gibson and fender. i love the instruments so much (2 each) but i just hate how they're run.

and honestly, i love the plastic klusons on the SG. :o more stable than all my schallers. and perfect setups are as rare as a sasquatch considering they're made in the south and then shipped to wherever.

plus, the shop should be doing a free setup with your chosen gauge at purchase anyway.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    exhausted wrote:
    i'm so torn about gibson and fender. i love the instruments so much (2 each) but i just hate how they're run.

and honestly, i love the plastic klusons on the SG. :o more stable than all my schallers. and perfect setups are as rare as a sasquatch considering they're made in the south and then shipped to wherever.

plus, the shop should be doing a free setup with your chosen gauge at purchase anyway.

I'm with Paco, the Klusons are atrocious. You must've lucked out (and I've seen some decent tulip tuners myself) but they're habitually terrible. Schaller can be the same way, although I've had better luck overall with them. I'm really a Grover guy, though. Never had a bad set of Grovers ever.

I trust Fender's build-quality a lot more than Gibson currently, but I am Mr. Tele, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. But I sincerely believe you should be prepared to shell out for a decent setup (or spend the time yourself) on any freighted guitar, especially brand-new. Sometimes you luck out, but not always. And like you say, Ex... any guitar shop worth spending money at should be setting up their guitars before sale. I would be willing to buy a Fender sight-unseen, though... not so with a Gibson. I'd go Epi or Epi Elite, Tokai, or for the same money get a PRS. Especially a lawsuit model in goldtop... with soapbars... sexy...

Paco, you need to get your Strat. Just for the pickups (every day I love mine more and more, and you're getting just about the same combo as I have) if for no other reason.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    exhausted wrote:
    of course. it's just licensed. with a horrid paint job and hilariously bad name.

I don't see the point of buying that from gibson when the genuine article is still available. That's kind of a wierd call, but it does speak to gibsons name recognition arrogance I guess.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    I don't see the point of buying that from gibson when the genuine article is still available. That's kind of a wierd call, but it does speak to gibsons name recognition arrogance I guess.

some doof will buy it because it matches the goldtones.
    exhausted wrote:
    some doof will buy it because it matches the goldtones.

speaking of which have you noticed Epiphone sneaking in a little 120 dollar tube amp recently. I know the build quality has got to suck and it has child labor written all over it but still interesting nonetheless.
    yeah, it looks interesting. gibson has a similar offering too.

http://gibson.com/Products/Amplifiers/Gibson%20Amplifiers/GA5%20Les%20Paul%20Junior/

the grail would still be an orange AD5 or a mini cat though.
    exhausted wrote:
    yeah, it looks interesting. gibson has a similar offering too.

http://gibson.com/Products/Amplifiers/Gibson%20Amplifiers/GA5%20Les%20Paul%20Junior/

the grail would still be an orange AD5 or a mini cat though.

Yeah, DR Z has one that's cool too.

I do love my orange, my pedals are disappearing though. I may hock the DD too.

still like your Diamond Drive?
    yup. had to replace one of the switches though. they use the blue 3PDTs and it just happened to be a bad one. so not diamond's fault really.

seriously, the neck pup of this 'new' strat through the diamond at the 12th fret is heaven.

hey, if the deal you've got lined up for selling the dyna falls though, let me know.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    Yeah, DR Z has one that's cool too.

I do love my orange, my pedals are disappearing though. I may hock the DD too.

still like your Diamond Drive?

Pedals, we don't need any stinkin pedals.

The 5watt and under is the new trend in bouteek amps :P I am willing to bet we see many new offerings in the not to distant future. I had a 1 hour conversation with the Mad Prof himself 2 nights ago and I think I have him willing to take on the project, we will see.

Did you get on the Myst. Tour?
    Let me know, I'll shoot Don an email for you.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

JofZ wrote:
    Pedals, we don't need any stinkin pedals.

The 5watt and under is the new trend in bouteek amps :P I am willing to bet we see many new offerings in the not to distant future. I had a 1 hour conversation with the Mad Prof himself 2 nights ago and I think I have him willing to take on the project, we will see.

Did you get on the Myst. Tour?
    Let me know, I'll shoot Don an email for you.

no I didn't get in in time. to bad for me. Hey did you see the Love Pedal Woody sample on the sale page?

The Mad Prof can probably do unbelievable stuff with 5 watts I just can't imagine the price.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    no I didn't get in in time. to bad for me. Hey did you see the Love Pedal Woody sample on the sale page?

The Mad Prof can probably do unbelievable stuff with 5 watts I just can't imagine the price.
    no I didn't see a woody, where?

I think he can keep the price down because there will not be a need for many of the features, have you see the list of stuff you get for your 7500? It is a crazy amp.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

JofZ wrote:
    no I didn't see a woody, where?

I think he can keep the price down because there will not be a need for many of the features, have you see the list of stuff you get for your 7500? It is a crazy amp.

The Mad Prof could be the best amp ever created. I mean you get what you pay for in that sense. I have no Idea why more pro's haven't seen that. Pearl Jam should be all over it.

The mini woody is on the sale page for 50 bucks.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    The Mad Prof could be the best amp ever created. I mean you get what you pay for in that sense. I have no Idea why more pro's haven't seen that. Pearl Jam should be all over it.

The mini woody is on the sale page for 50 bucks.

Look at these specs, they are some what vauge, but I know the components are the highest quality and if it is good enough for Harper, well no comment :), a 5 watt with a power scale to 1 watt would be the cat's meow for a home amp/recording amp with tone!

- Preamp distortion and/or Power-amp distortion, with or without compression at any volume level.
    - Three (3) gain structure options.
    - Versatile four (4) position Focus switch
    - Four (4) different ways to adjust the ever critical treble response.
    - Effect loop with two different levels.
    - Foot-switches for FET and adjustable Boost
    - Dynamics you have never experienced.
    - Best workmanship in the industry.
    - Magical Bjorn Juhl circuit.
    - THE TONE!!

- Hand made point to point wired 40-75W tube amp that is fine-tuned for the best possible tone.
    - Based on the experience Bjorn Juhl has had working with finest tubes amps for 20 years.
    - The circuit is as original as a tube amp can be, respecting the heritage of the greatest amps designs.
    The fine-tuned circuit with build in bias adjustment accepts 6L6, EL34, KT66, KT88 ... even 6V6 if you can find ones that can handle 500V of plate voltage.
    - The overbuild custom transformers have enough juice to drive the KT88/6550 to about 75W of power.
    - With special POWERSUCK switch you can drive the power-amp to fat compressed tone at bedroom levels.

We are not talking about 3-dimensional tone, this one is a 4-D tone!
    And the touch response is awesome, this is about the most dynamic amp I have seen.
    There are tones from sparkling clean to fat and sweet, singing overdrive, from sparkle to rumble...
    Nothing but the best covering is used, no thin tolex here.

I am almost 100% positive that the Woody is history or special request only, I have never heard, nor seen one but if it is a Cot on roids it should be unique and a fun pedal. 50 bones is a steal. The new Pale Green just shipped, there is only one and it is being gigged by Dean I guess. He said it is amazing, full squash to ross type to transparent, it is a full blown studio comp in a pedal. I have been playing with a AM Bi-Comp and it is just amazing, I am loving it and now understand the beauty and pitfalls of a comp. The OS and Ross at the same time is too cool. I'll find out when the tour box is coming my way and if it is close to when you will be here maybe you can partake anyway. I ahve a feeling there are some teasers in it.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?