second thoughts.

Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
edited August 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm still concerned over this strat purchase. Fender still bugs me. The sunburst is too dark, not natural not right looking at all and the sound while great is not jumping out like it does with say a John Suhr or a Grosh or a real 1965 Fender. But the lockers are there, the switching is excellent and the neck is very comfy.

My cap is absolutely $1500. I may continue mulling. I still like my Fralin Blues + HD S90 but V60's are excellent too. Tom Anderson is really not my thing I don't know I guess I'm asking for perfection really.
My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• goto_lgoto_l Posts: 1,189
    All the advise I can give is I have 5 different Strats, & I hate 3 & almost hate the other. They are an addiction though. They seem wonderful, but each really has their own shitty personality. It's impossible to find a strat that does everything you want, even Mikey's baby has it's faults, like the chewed up spots will give you splinters. Anyways, I can't say that I'd invest that much into a strat. Today it's great tomorrow???? The best strat I've ever had is a P.O.S. Squire. 21 years & all original hardware, still sounds great, amazing for a squire, & the guitar I play the most. Go figure, $2200 on a LP custom, & I play a squire, something's wrong here.
    You men eat your dinner
    Eat your pork and beans
    I eat more chicken
    Than any man ever seen

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    the strat in your head doesn't exist.

just drop all first thoughts. go into every shop you can and play every guitar that catches your fancy. you'll find something you like and maybe it won't be a strat. but whatever it is, you'll like it.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    I guess I'm asking for perfection really.

All I can say is that perfection is the most boring thing ever. No challenges after that, are there? goto_I's story basically says the rest.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    exhausted wrote:
    the strat in your head doesn't exist.

just drop all first thoughts. go into every shop you can and play every guitar that catches your fancy. you'll find something you like and maybe it won't be a strat. but whatever it is, you'll like it.

I already do that, Everything that sounds like God touched it is over 2 grand (unless it's a gibson then it's 5 grand) I refuse to pay more than 2 thousand dollars for a strat. I refuse to pay more than $1500 for that matter.
    The next one that I find that just feels right, I'm buying.

I should probably have a rusty trussart by now and a tweed bassman.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    I'm still concerned over this strat purchase. Fender still bugs me. The sunburst is too dark, not natural not right looking at all and the sound while great is not jumping out like it does with say a John Suhr or a Grosh or a real 1965 Fender. But the lockers are there, the switching is excellent and the neck is very comfy.

My cap is absolutely $1500. I may continue mulling. I still like my Fralin Blues + HD S90 but V60's are excellent too. Tom Anderson is really not my thing I don't know I guess I'm asking for perfection really.

i know your a strat man (so am i in a way), how many do you have?
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
    i know your a strat man (so am i in a way), how many do you have?

Two are in the music room at this point.
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    for $1500 you can likely find a used grosh or suhr... I see them pop up on the gear page and ebay from time to time. I know it is tough buying without playing... but quality control on those two makers is very high... plus, you can always move it for the same price. There are guys with four of each that just like to swap them around.

Or just find a guitar that speaks to you and go for it... the guitar isn't going to feel just right until you play it for a while... then you can bond with it. Just find something with good quality and features... then make it your own.

I would get that blonde tele sonic...

maybe I will go down there this weekend with the Kendrick and Schecter... come home with a Dr. Z and the Fender... :D
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    for $1500 you can likely find a used grosh or suhr... I see them pop up on the gear page and ebay from time to time. I know it is tough buying without playing... but quality control on those two makers is very high... plus, you can always move it for the same price. There are guys with four of each that just like to swap them around.

Or just find a guitar that speaks to you and go for it... the guitar isn't going to feel just right until you play it for a while... then you can bond with it. Just find something with good quality and features... then make it your own.

I would get that blonde tele sonic...

maybe I will go down there this weekend with the Kendrick and Schecter... come home with a Dr. Z and the Fender... :D

you will fall in love with the Kendrick for a week or so :D

I've played enough to know Suhr is quality, I like his shape and color better than Grosh I think. so now I'm back to looking for used Suhr's. If the fender sunburst wasn't damn near all black, I'd have had one today.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    Two are in the music room at this point.

http://detempleguitars.com/home2.htm

Here is your axe and it is just silly that you have to spend 3X what you are willing to in order to get it. You might have some luck on the used market.

There are a few Custom Shop Fessler Fenders in town if you want the scoop on them, if I went Fender that would be the way I would go.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    you will fall in love with the Kendrick for a week or so :D

I've played enough to know Suhr is quality, I like his shape and color better than Grosh I think. so now I'm back to looking for used Suhr's. If the fender sunburst wasn't damn near all black, I'd have had one today.

That sounds like a plan... I give myself at least two weeks too... lol
    There's No Code.
  • Spook FishSpook Fish Posts: 241
    Dont take drugs and be a loser
    wear a pink shirt and go down the boozer
    Spook Fish wrote:

They are the bomb, I would love to have one and I dig the tortise shell pick guard :), I just don't dig the price tag, that is Les Paul Historic pricing eeek
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    I will take a tele in blonde with a black guard please...
    There's No Code.
    Spook Fish wrote:

cool guitar, price is insane, and I prefer 59 - 65 rather than 54 - 58
  • the eric johnson sig strat is supposed to be great, i think its 1600$ though
    the eric clapton strat is brilliant, i played it once, i dunno if its worth 1400$ but it was great!
    the '62 american strat reissue is nice
    57 reissue is nice too...
    if i were to ever get another strat it would be a american 58' or 59'

edit: http://cgi.ebay.com/58-RE-ISSUE-FENDER-STRAT-CUSTOM-SHOP-BIRDS-EYE-MAPLE_W0QQitemZ7342832615QQcategoryZ33039QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

droooools
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
    the eric johnson sig strat is supposed to be great, i think its 1600$ though
    the eric clapton strat is brilliant, i played it once, i dunno if its worth 1400$ but it was great!
    the '62 american strat reissue is nice
    57 reissue is nice too...
    if i were to ever get another strat it would be a american 58' or 59'

edit: http://cgi.ebay.com/58-RE-ISSUE-FENDER-STRAT-CUSTOM-SHOP-BIRDS-EYE-MAPLE_W0QQitemZ7342832615QQcategoryZ33039QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

droooools

My MF 57 RI is as nice as any relic I have played, it is just proof you can get lucky. I have read a ton of reviews of the 57 and 62 RI and most say the same thing, great axes, great tone and really good quality for the price. I got the adler body and the vintage blonde paint, so I am hoping it added to the mojo :)

The Clapton strats are icky IMO, I hate the mid level 25 db boost. The EJ strat is a nice axe, but is has like EJ lately is is weak for the money :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

• JofZ wrote:
    My MF 57 RI is as nice as any relic I have played, it is just proof you can get lucky. I have read a ton of reviews of the 57 and 62 RI and most say the same thing, great axes, great tone and really good quality for the price. I got the adler body and the vintage blonde paint, so I am hoping it added to the mojo :)

The Clapton strats are icky IMO, I hate the mid level 25 db boost. The EJ strat is a nice axe, but is has like EJ lately is is weak for the money :)

yeah well i havent played the other strats i mentioned, if the eric clapton is soso, imagine what the others are like, OH MAN
    Just admired a Shur Classic Strat in Sherwood Green over the lunch hour.

Wow. It's amazing the level of detail and quality. The V60s are also excellent. I hear tails he's got a noiseless circuit in beta testing too.

Oh and for all you Schecter PT fans out there, 3 words.

TOM ANDERSON COBRA.

look it up.
    no doubt about the TAG Cobra. The only differences really are the Cobra is normally a Gibson scale... otherwise, very similar design.

Like I mentioned before Tom Anderson got his start at Schecter in the late 70s... designed a lot of their pickups and guitars.

So, I am getting a pre - Cobra.
    There's No Code.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    Just admired a Shur Classic Strat in Sherwood Green over the lunch hour.

Wow. It's amazing the level of detail and quality. The V60s are also excellent. I hear tails he's got a noiseless circuit in beta testing too.

Oh and for all you Schecter PT fans out there, 3 words.

TOM ANDERSON COBRA.

look it up.

amazing guitar, not worth 3300$ though IMO

im happy with the standard schecter pt, NOT THE JET BLACK, i hate that one
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:

it's funny isn't it, that the signiture Tom Anderson Guitar is one that he worked on at Schecter. I bet the pups are very, very similar.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    it's funny isn't it, that the signiture Tom Anderson Guitar is one that he worked on at Schecter. I bet the pups are very, very similar.

I guess he liked the idea, so no need for him to change it too much.

I hope the UPS guy delivers the Schecter tonight. My wife has law school until late, so I would have some time to play a bit louder than normal with the Kendrick.

I will play for a while regardless, but the new guitar would make it much better.
    There's No Code.