Gotoh Vintage Lockers INSTALLED!

Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
edited February 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Finally, I've been meaning to do this for a year, but my Strat has the new Gotoh Vintage Style (Kluson, OE on 62RI) Lockers installed.

Nothing like a new set of strings especially DR pure nickle blues.... but I digress it actually hurts to type I played so much last night.

It's a direct retrofit, it takes about 20 minutes and is MUCH easier to deal with than the strait vintage wrap around style pegs. Pull through and turn, Lock off, Stretch, tune up. Awesome. Tuning stability so far is excellent. The Big Bends on the nut and other friction points helps. I think I might definately change the block and perhaps go with a new callaham bridge as well, I'm not crazy about this one. I've never used the trem on this guitar at all but for whatever reason I like having it there.

So far so good.
My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79 wrote:
    Finally, I've been meaning to do this for a year, but my Strat has the new Gotoh Vintage Style (Kluson, OE on 62RI) Lockers installed.

Nothing like a new set of strings especially DR pure nickle blues.... but I digress it actually hurts to type I played so much last night.

It's a direct retrofit, it takes about 20 minutes and is MUCH easier to deal with than the strait vintage wrap around style pegs. Pull through and turn, Lock off, Stretch, tune up. Awesome. Tuning stability so far is excellent. The Big Bends on the nut and other friction points helps. I think I might definately change the block and perhaps go with a new callaham bridge as well, I'm not crazy about this one. I've never used the trem on this guitar at all but for whatever reason I like having it there.

So far so good.

One of the greatest inventions ever for guitar, locking tuners.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    One of the greatest inventions ever for guitar, locking tuners.

agreed, and these don't have a ton of mass either. It hasn't adversely effected anything yet, and I checked it at lunch, still in tune. Granted I always tune a half tone flat to begin with but that's where it was.

I hate restringing especially vintage posts with all the wrapping. These are already hugely more satisfying.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    agreed, and these don't have a ton of mass either. It hasn't adversely effected anything yet, and I checked it at lunch, still in tune. Granted I always tune a half tone flat to begin with but that's where it was.

I hate restringing especially vintage posts with all the wrapping. These are already hugely more satisfying.

I hear you my Reverend has the Wilkinson "EZ" lock tuners. Pain in the ass. If I didn't have to drill holes they'd of been replaced by now.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Nice!
    I use DR's now, too. Almost exclusively. They wrap great on regular cranking winding tuners, too, if you're like me and haven't gotten around to replacing them! :D They're great for Bigsby's, too because they're longer than other strings so they're easier to wind through all the curly q's and still have enough string to wrap.
    I have lockers on my Strat Deluxe and they work great, otherwise I think I'm still winding most of the others. When I'm working on a few guitars in a row, I use my cordless drill with a cut off string winder in the chuck. Works great, but don't space out when you're winding it up! Boinnnnnnggggg!

edit,,,, I get them from these guys: http://www.juststrings.com/drstringselectricguitarpureblues.html
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    I use DR's now, too. Almost exclusively. They wrap great on regular cranking winding tuners, too, if you're like me and haven't gotten around to replacing them! :D They're great for Bigsby's, too because they're longer than other strings so they're easier to wind through all the curly q's and still have enough string to wrap.
    I have lockers on my Strat Deluxe and they work great, otherwise I think I'm still winding most of the others. When I'm working on a few guitars in a row, I use my cordless drill with a cut off string winder in the chuck. Works great, but don't space out when you're winding it up! Boinnnnnnggggg!

edit,,,, I get them from these guys: http://www.juststrings.com/drstringselectricguitarpureblues.html

Great to know Bob, I do love me some DR Pure Blues, I'm scared of string winders a bit though, I like to wear safety glasses when I change strings, it's probably a little bit silly of a fear, but I'm always worried one will break and hit me in the eye. Ahh, this is bringing up memories of late nights restringing 12 strings at guitar center....yak!!! :D

DR 12's..... Geez. Man strings.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    I've been telling people for years to try DR Pure Blues because you
    just can't beat the tone of a pure nickel wound string with a round core.
    I've been using DEEE-R's since 2003, and I still haven't found a string I
    like better. I'm glad to see that people are finally getting the message.

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    I've been telling people for years to try DR Pure Blues because you
    just can't beat the tone of a pure nickel wound string with a round core.
    I've been using DEEE-R's since 2003, and I still haven't found a string I
    like better. I'm glad to see that people are finally getting the message.

- Ian

I was using tite fits. Once I went to Pure Blues.... I buy nothing else.
  • I like the Tite Fits for slide guitar and reverby stuff, too. They're a little brighter. Especially in my new duet with this gal. We're doing a combination of Captain Beefheart and Mazzy Star songs while we're writing some stuff.
    That makes for a couple of weirdos playing in the living room! :D
    You need the brightest string around to play Beefheart and all the delay pedals and loopers and reverbs for Mazzy. That's really got the neighbors wondering!

Ian,,,, I got you by a couple of years! :) I think it was before a few people on this board were born! Like 1990 or so, the owner would come to gigs and give us strings when we were in New York. If I remember correctly, the founder, Mark, is the son of the founder of Guild Guitars.

Paco, it's funny you mention safety glasses! I was just sanding a guitar neck today and I poked my eye with the glasses when I was putting them on my face!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
  • I like the Tite Fits for slide guitar and reverby stuff, too. They're a little brighter. Especially in my new duet with this gal. We're doing a combination of Captain Beefheart and Mazzy Star songs while we're writing some stuff.
    That makes for a couple of weirdos playing in the living room! :D
    You need the brightest string around to play Beefheart and all the delay pedals and loopers and reverbs for Mazzy. That's really got the neighbors wondering!

Ian,,,, I got you by a couple of years! :) I think it was before a few people on this board were born! Like 1990 or so, the owner would come to gigs and give us strings when we were in New York. If I remember correctly, the founder, Mark, is the son of the founder of Guild Guitars.

Paco, it's funny you mention safety glasses! I was just sanding a guitar neck today and I poked my eye with the glasses when I was putting them on my face!

Definitley longer than I've been born!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    journeyman wrote:
    And are these DR pure blues strings readily available most places? The first I've heard of 'em.
    Should be - most of my local stores carry them (unless they're a little crap shack music store, and then even some of them carry DR).
    However, if none of you're local stores carry them I know you can order them online easy enough.
    Looks like Musicians Friend ships these strings to Canada: click: DR PURE BLUES PHR10 (10-gauge)
    And since MF does I'm thinking that Sam Ash will also possibly ship to Canada if you ask.
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>