Uniphase #005 Is Here!!!

Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
edited September 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Wow. Fun. Thick and chewy or bright at the twist of the color knob, a volume for equalization, and speed in the middle. Now I need a 3rd hand to control it. Really cool univibe like phaser. Thanks, Eric. This one is awesome. Nice new case and everything very professional.
My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Holy crap batman, if you own a phaser and it is not a shannon, you need to seriously think about why that is. WOW!! WOW!!! Chewy rich and swirly.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    cool. my phaser isn't even here yet. :(
    exhausted wrote:
    cool. my phaser isn't even here yet. :(

customs.

you are going to be pleased. vedy vedy pleased. The color knob is phenominal.
    yeah, it's pretty standard customs/canada post issues. i hate them. but at least they don't rape me in brokerage charges.
    is it throbey at the peaks of the waves or is it smooth?
    smooth, but it can be either. the color knob makes it thus. it's very tweakable, the only neg, the speed is in the middle, tough to reach without touching the others.

similar to the magic boy vibe actually but more tweakable.
    so, morning after thoughts?
    Still glowing, I listened to Seans Lovepedal clips again and it's very similar. The Color knob is like an internal trimmer but it's on the outside. It's excellent. No it's not the original circuit and it's not the exact tone like a mojo vibe would be but for oh, 150 bucks cheaper. Wow. KIller
    cool. i'm looking forward to it. i actually don't like the mojo vibe at the higher intensities. that's the throb i dont like so i'm glad it can approxinate the same sound those lovepedal clips were doing.

dumb question, did eric maybe unique cases for the uniphases? ie, the straight phaser is red.
    exhausted wrote:
    cool. i'm looking forward to it. i actually don't like the mojo vibe at the higher intensities. that's the throb i dont like so i'm glad it can approxinate the same sound those lovepedal clips were doing.

dumb question, did eric maybe unique cases for the uniphases? ie, the straight phaser is red.

Uniphase is similar construction (Brick Shithouse) but blue
    oh good, i was hoping the case layout was the same for real estate purposes.
  • Awesome, paco! Great to hear you're loving it! the color knob does act like an internal trimmer. Its calibrated to basically give you almost the full range of usable sounds you’d get by adjusting the trim pot. Color gives you a wide variation in the sweep so you can dial in many flavors at different speed settings. My guess is that the lovepedal is FET based too. Possibly opto. It might only be a 2 stage though. It just seems with his rep at that good a price, a 4 stager would be too much build time to not charge more. I know. Especially if FET based. Matching 2 is a hell of a lot easier than doing 4.

For the phaser though, the color knob is a bit more focused in on attaining a warmer range of sweep. A good variation in vintage sound, but not as drastic as the uniphase. Plus, it’s a true phaser. This is good because the phaser does slower speeds than the uniphase.

As for adjusting the speed knob with your foot. I think I’ve got a good solution for you, paco. I’ll post a pic for you of what I have in mind when I get home this evening. Basically the same big, taller speed knob as on the dejavibe with smaller knobs for volume and color. Should work pretty well. I could just give you the part numbers for the knobs and you can order them from mouser electronics.

Greg, I hope the phaser arrives today for you to play with for the weekend! Phase heaven. :) The uniphase is in a royal blue with the same graphic and lettering. Just uniphase in place phaser.
    my life...you electrify my life. let's conspire to reignite...all the souls that would die just feel alive.
    Telesonic wrote:
    Awesome, paco! Great to hear you're loving it! the color knob does act like an internal trimmer. Its calibrated to basically give you almost the full range of usable sounds you’d get by adjusting the trim pot. Color gives you a wide variation in the sweep so you can dial in many flavors at different speed settings. My guess is that the lovepedal is FET based too. Possibly opto. It might only be a 2 stage though. It just seems with his rep at that good a price, a 4 stager would be too much build time to not charge more. I know. Especially if FET based. Matching 2 is a hell of a lot easier than doing 4.

For the phaser though, the color knob is a bit more focused in on attaining a warmer range of sweep. A good variation in vintage sound, but not as drastic as the uniphase. Plus, it’s a true phaser. This is good because the phaser does slower speeds than the uniphase.

As for adjusting the speed knob with your foot. I think I’ve got a good solution for you, paco. I’ll post a pic for you of what I have in mind when I get home this evening. Basically the same big, taller speed knob as on the dejavibe with smaller knobs for volume and color. Should work pretty well. I could just give you the part numbers for the knobs and you can order them from mouser electronics.

Greg, I hope the phaser arrives today for you to play with for the weekend! Phase heaven. :) The uniphase is in a royal blue with the same graphic and lettering. Just uniphase in place phaser.

Eric, this thing is cool as hell man. Absolutely amazing at the price. I was thinking I'd get one of the big rubber knobs and super glue it to the top of the speed knob. By far, coolest phaser I've ever used, not quite a univibe but very close. my wah dosen't do it justice though. Time to upgrade that too. It works best infront of everything so far. The volume knob is vunderbar too. Why? because I can use it to slightly boost the UniV sound without using any boost pedals and get that cleanish uni tone that Hendrix used on the early albums, this would be phenominal throught a cot 50 or some kind of big plexi amp. Really really cool man. really cool.

When you tune to a drop D and play riffs and just "let it ride" so to speak you get that fantastic swirly goodness.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    Eric, this thing is cool as hell man. Absolutely amazing at the price. I was thinking I'd get one of the big rubber knobs and super glue it to the top of the speed knob. By far, coolest phaser I've ever used, not quite a univibe but very close. my wah dosen't do it justice though. Time to upgrade that too. It works best infront of everything so far. The volume knob is vunderbar too. Why? because I can use it to slightly boost the UniV sound without using any boost pedals and get that cleanish uni tone that Hendrix used on the early albums, this would be phenominal throught a cot 50 or some kind of big plexi amp. Really really cool man. really cool.

When you tune to a drop D and play riffs and just "let it ride" so to speak you get that fantastic swirly goodness.

amen brother! :)
    my life...you electrify my life. let's conspire to reignite...all the souls that would die just feel alive.
    Telesonic wrote:
    amen brother! :)

+10 for you man. This one is awesome.