An unbiased discussion on bias.

Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
edited September 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
To bias or not to bias.

My naranja seems to need valves it's starting to get fuzzy and cut out some and I haven't changed them yet. I'm wondering if I should get it rebiased or just change the tubes. I don't think it really needs it right now and I'd rather not bring in in. What do you guys think?

Also EL84 and Rectifier brands? Currently I have EI's.

I wonder if the rec needs changing often I think the preamps might be ok. It's a GZ34 looks like a Mullard copy but I don't know if I want to sink the vintage mullard dough into it at this time.
My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PACO as you've seen in the past with posts from myself, you know my opinioin is always strong on getting the amp bias'd. The only time I would say let it slide, is if you always buy tubes from the tube store with the same matched current plate number that you had the amp biased at. Even then I'd get the amp biased every few tube replacements.

As for the tube rectifier. You can replace those with a solid state rectifier. I did that in this old bronson amp simply because I could not find a replacement (15 watt, all tube from the 50's), and you can't tell the difference in tone.

But thats my opionion, hopefully you won't be offended.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    PACO as you've seen in the past with posts from myself, you know my opinioin is always strong on getting the amp bias'd. The only time I would say let it slide, is if you always buy tubes from the tube store with the same matched current plate number that you had the amp biased at. Even then I'd get the amp biased every few tube replacements.

As for the tube rectifier. You can replace those with a solid state rectifier. I did that in this old bronson amp simply because I could not find a replacement (15 watt, all tube from the 50's), and you can't tell the difference in tone.

But thats my opionion, hopefully you won't be offended.

damn, curses I was trying to enable my sliding on having it looked at so I'm not without it for a while. :D

I like the bounce I get form the rectifier
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    damn, curses I was trying to enable my sliding on having it looked at so I'm not without it for a while. :D

I like the bounce I get form the rectifier

Fortunately a friend of mine does my amps for me. Prior to that I had a small guitar shop that would whip it out for me while I waited. But they have come and gone.

Sorry I shouldn't of said a thing!
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/