Ex, have you taken it apart yet?

Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
edited November 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I just took all the tubes out. Looks like the two preamps are labeled PM as is the GZ34 rectifier, and the two power tubes are EI's. I really don't know when they are actually done, but it just dosen't sound like it self. The preamp has plenty of volume and the volume knob has nothing I guess that means they are done.

It's amazing how simple and beautiful this thing is, I removed the 4 outer screws and the whole amp chassis comes out on that board, exposing the speaker perfectly easily. Speaker swap if I wanted would be no issue what so ever. I'm gonna fire her back up real quick just to see if maybe they just shook loose. Then I'll order new tubes.

Ok, so I put it back toegther, pushed everything in and it works, maybe it's lacking some sparkle I can't really tell, but it is probably time to change anyhow so maybe I should it's just odd it would cut in and out like that with the attenuator on or in bypass, wierd. strait through no issues yet. But the volume thing persists, it has to be power tubes.
My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i took mine apart right away. that's how i found out the build date. put a longer speaker cable on it to reach the attentuator better etc.

if they've never been changed, might as well treat it to a new set.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Just out of curiousity, but how long do tubes usually last in an amp before they go? I'm sure it depends on use, but just curious.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    it really does depend on use. it vary anywhere from 6 months to a few years. my fender maybe gets 5-10 hours a week of use at half volume and i've changed the tubes once after about 3 years. and even then, it probably didn't need it. i've only had one preamp tube act up in 5 years of owning the amp.