NEW Tuning Machines.

Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
edited October 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Yes.... My buddy came through. 50 bucks.

I got new machine heads. Planet Waves, auto trim.

next step is the new electronics, I get them installed monday in my strat!
My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    any new holes or did they fit right in? got the chrome right?
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    they'll need new holes, but it's not a big deal, I'm keeping this one forever.

they are chrome. I hate gold.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    i can't wait to get my mitts on mine. i think i'm still blocking the trem though so i'll stcik with the stock tuners.

bought a house yesterday. unfinished basement but that's the only downside. hoping it doesn't have the same issue as this place. won't know until we're moved in 3 weeks.

speakers in the ceilings. i should wire them to my mixer. haha.
    wow nice, congrats on the house, I'm still looking. I always said if I build a house that's how I'm doing it. Keeps the wives happier.

I fell in love with a $900 korean made rosewood and spruce breedlove.

Freaking awesome, no electronics, but screw it, it sounds better without them.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    The best Guitar Tuning Machines are:
    Gotoh 510 Delta Series (these are literally a 21:1 ratio) - it seriously doesn't get any better than this as far as precision. Most tuners are 14:1, or 16:1. These use to be called Organic, now called DELTA.

I'm building my fifth Custom~Guitar, and I'm putting these tuners on it. I don't use any kits or pre-fab parts, so it's taking me a while (I'm building a Hollow Telecaster type made with a swamp ash body and 1/4" flame-maple top (no pickguard - my feelings are why cover up nice wood), rear-routed, F-hole, 2 mini-humbuckers with coil taps, maple neck, 22-stainless steel frets, ebony fretboard, small abalone moons, 10° angled 3+3 headstock.
    This guitar will be killer when I'm finally finished building the neck, and I can't wait to put these tuners on it.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    The best Guitar Tuning Machines are:
    Gotoh 510 Delta Series (these are literally a 21:1 ratio) - it seriously doesn't get any better than this as far as precision. Most tuners are 14:1, or 16:1. These use to be called Organic, now called DELTA.

I'm building my fifth Custom~Guitar, and I'm putting these tuners on it. I don't use any kits or pre-fab parts, so it's taking me a while (I'm building a a Hollow Telecaster type made with a swamp ash body and 1/4" flame-maple top (no pickguard - my feelings are why cover up nice wood), rear-routed, F-hole, 2 mini-humbuckers with coil taps, maple neck, 22-stainless steel frets, ebony fretboard, small abalone moons, 10° angled 3+3 headstock.
    This guitar will be killer when I'm finally finished building the neck, and I can't wait to put these tuners on it.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal

Indeed, why cover up nice wood? It sounds awesome.

The Pdubs are 18 to 1 21 to 1 is awesome.

Show us pics when you finish. The cool thing is with mini humbuckers you could always swap out P90's if you wanted later.
    just kidding, they don't fit and require too much modification because of the "vintage" tuners. Booo.
    well, that sucks, sort of.

maybe someday you'll create a new neck for it.
  • puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    exhausted wrote:
    i can't wait to get my mitts on mine. i think i'm still blocking the trem though so i'll stcik with the stock tuners.

bought a house yesterday. unfinished basement but that's the only downside. hoping it doesn't have the same issue as this place. won't know until we're moved in 3 weeks.

speakers in the ceilings. i should wire them to my mixer. haha.

That's a plus, makes renovation easier, especially, if you intend to setaside a portion for your recording/playing purposes. Just make sure any laundry room is NOT level with your studio area. Studio should be at least a step higher and make sure your laundry area is not directly ABOVE your studio area.

Congrats.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
    thanks.

we will be finishing the basement probably within a couple years if money allows. we can get two more big rooms down there plus a little bathroom and the furnace room. the bathroom and the furnace room are already framed off and all the outer walls are insulated. we may close in the furnace room with drywall right away to kill that noise problem.

the washer/dryer are on the main floor pretty much above the furnace room.

basement also has motion sensors as part of the alarm system.

i'll be putting 2 or 3 dedicated circuits into the room that gets assigned to be the studio. i'd like to make it big enough to fit other people down there, drums etc. etc. not so much for me but for my son when he's older. he's got so much energy now and likes to hit so he seems to be an obvious drummer.
    nice renovation information. That's good info. I hate the idea of elevated hot waterheaters too. Maybe when I by one I can find something like the tankless number they had down at the fish camp in New Orleans, that was nice. You just program how hot you want the water, and there's no tank of water to go all over the place.

eventually I probably will have a custom 10-14" radius neck built (or buy some morons old Suhr neck from Ebay ;) ) so it's a little more comfy and have those type machines installed. The guys right though, I just don't like the vintage locker design but them's the breaks. Hopefully I shouldn't have an issue with my pickups anyway. I'm thinking of just getting a new guard and all and just dropping it in.

I'm going to make the new setup go to 11's :D
    good idea on the neck. i kinda thought the PWs wouldn't fit or look all that great in place of the vintage type.

i wish i could renovate right away but we need to buy a second car in the next few months so that's the priority right now. my office is moving out of downtown soon so transit is no longer a viable option for me.
    exhausted wrote:
    good idea on the neck. i kinda thought the PWs wouldn't fit or look all that great in place of the vintage type.

i wish i could renovate right away but we need to buy a second car in the next few months so that's the priority right now. my office is moving out of downtown soon so transit is no longer a viable option for me.

well that blows. Maybe you can get one of those cool new Tesla electrics :D

Or a motorcycle. I've been shopping. I really would like to have one.
    motorbikes scare me. and we have winter here. ;)

either a used toyota echo or a new toyota yaris if funds allow.

maybe an old first gen miata if i can find a good one.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    exhausted wrote:
    motorbikes scare me. and we have winter here. ;)

Me too. I tried to learn to ride one this summer and I managed to get myself thrown off one. Busted up my knee for a second time that summer.
    it would be cool to have that skill but i have no desire to ever ride a bike.

i was thinking seriously about a scooter when i though i'd be living a lot closer to work but not anymore.

just too easy to get snuffed on the roads.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    exhausted wrote:

i was thinking seriously about a scooter when i though i'd be living a lot closer to work but not anymore.

I started riding motorbikes at 18, my 1st bike was a Honda Hurricane ( I just dated myself), with in 4 weeks of ownership I had laid her down twice. Once on gravel and once being stupid. My second bike was a Honda F2 and on the night of 21st Birthday a woman with no headlights ran a stoplight and hit me at 40mph. I spent 6 weeks in the hospital with 6 broken bones including my lumbar.
    I have not gotten on a bike since then other to get over my fear.
    FWIW, if you are loved by others don't ride!
    If you trust every yahoo on the road with your life then go for it, it makes no difference how good you are, how smart you are, or how aware you are, some asshole will try to kill you.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
    exhausted wrote:

Thats what my physical therapist told me. As much as he'd love to learn how to ride or own one, he's seen the aftermath of too many rides gone bad. Its definitely not for me!
  • SO many subjects in this thread! Haha,,,

I want an electric ZAP Xebra car for in town. Then I can plug it into other people's outlets at a party to get home. I think they go 40 miles or so. Just keep an extension cord in the briefcase! :D

Too bad about the planet waves. They are nice, but I like the locking tuners on my deluxe. They hold pretty well. I don't know if that's what's on the '62

Exhausted! Don't close off your furnace room unless you have good fresh air make up for your burners. Otherwise you may lack brain cells after a while! If your furnace is sucking air from outside, then you're good to go!
    Congrats on finding a house, too! That was quick!

I had to give up my Harley because I have hay fever and it wasn't a pretty sight sneezing into a helmet! All cars, and especially SUV's seem to aim at you anymore, too. People are driving way more crazy than they used to, so I guess I'm better off on the East Coast anyway.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

I want an electric ZAP Xebra car for in town. Then I can plug it into other people's outlets at a party to get home. I think they go 40 miles or so. Just keep an extension cord in the briefcase! :D

Too bad about the planet waves. They are nice, but I like the locking tuners on my deluxe. They hold pretty well. I don't know if that's what's on the '62

Exhausted! Don't close off your furnace room unless you have good fresh air make up for your burners. Otherwise you may lack brain cells after a while! If your furnace is sucking air from outside, then you're good to go!

I had to give up my Harley because I have hay fever and it wasn't a pretty sight sneezing into a helmet! All cars, and especially SUV's seem to aim at you anymore, too. People are driving way more crazy than they used to, so I guess I'm better off on the East Coast anyway.

Women+cellphone+SUV=Death ;)
    At least in Chicago LOL

Smart cars are everywhere!
    Who is buying a FirstAct VW?
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    exhausted wrote:

Okay, I have tears from laughing so hard. I forgot all about you and that damn scooter wish. I would have high beemed you just for wearing that little helmet.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
    JofZ wrote:

Those guitars any good? I drive a VW. Too bad my lease is up next December instead of this. I was going to get another VW anyway, could've gotten a free axe out of it.
    S

our inspector gave us the all clear for that. the room for the furnace itself is quite big.

as for the quick house. we have been looking for two months, just been unable to pull the trigger until ours was firm sold. the one we bought was identical to another floorplan we'd seen and liked. this one was in better shape, better location and a bigger yard, plus the security system etc. so it was an easy decision. has a satellite dish too. not sure if it's staying. don't really care because i'm not hooking it up but i'd rather leave it in place than have holes.

http://brehell.ca/house/3231715.000.jpg

not our cars. and the house is detached. just the angle makes it look like it's attached to next door.
    NEW FLASH:

62 strat is in!!! picking it up in a few hours.

sweet day.
  • exhausted wrote:
    NEW FLASH:

62 strat is in!!! picking it up in a few hours.

sweet day.

Haha!

Great day for exhausted!
    Can I write your speech?

Got new '62 Strat, just the right neck, vintage pickups and it's THE one. In Lefthanded yet, been waiting for this moment for years, and now here it is!! Plugging into a Fender Deluxe for sweet weet sounds

(Oh and by the way, in other minor news, I bought a house) :D
    Be kind, man

Smart cars are everywhere!

Yup.
    Well, it's not the cellphone all the time, though. I was always ducking the SUV with the mom driving head on in my lane because she was looking back and smacking the kids in the back seat.

BUY SMART CARS NOW!!!

:D I Have stock in ZAP who is importing them to the US. To make them legal in the US you have to reconfigure the engine to get worse gas mileage! :roll:
    Eventually Daimler will be selling them here and I better sell the stock before they do!
    Hopefully if you all buy smart cars, youll be contributing to the "Help Bob buy a little shade grown organic coffee farm in Costa Rica or Nicaragua Fund".

You're all invited to come and jam!
    If yo buy a Smart car! ;)
    Be kind, man

Great day for exhausted!
    Can I write your speech?

Got new '62 Strat, just the right neck, vintage pickups and it's THE one. In Lefthanded yet, been waiting for this moment for years, and now here it is!! Plugging into a Fender Deluxe for sweet weet sounds

(Oh and by the way, in other minor news, I bought a house) :D

HAHAHAHAHAHA
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    i'd buy a smart car if i thought the premium in the cost could be recouped but i don't think it can. plus i don't want to deal with a mercedes dealer.
    Yup.
    Well, it's not the cellphone all the time, though. I was always ducking the SUV with the mom driving head on in my lane because she was looking back and smacking the kids in the back seat.

BUY SMART CARS NOW!!!

:D I Have stock in ZAP who is importing them to the US. To make them legal in the US you have to reconfigure the engine to get worse gas mileage! :roll:
    Eventually Daimler will be selling them here and I better sell the stock before they do!
    Hopefully if you all buy smart cars, youll be contributing to the "Help Bob buy a little shade grown organic coffee farm in Costa Rica or Nicaragua Fund".

You're all invited to come and jam!
    If yo buy a Smart car! ;)

costa rican coffee is AWESOME!!!

I bought a fretrest mat and some new DR strings to console myself over having to have a degree in mechanics to restring my vintage tuners. It's going to take forever to restring. Size, cut, bend, insert wrap, don't overlap.... next....
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    costa rican coffee is AWESOME!!!

I bought a fretrest mat and some new DR strings to console myself over having to have a degree in mechanics to restring my vintage tuners. It's going to take forever to restring. Size, cut, bend, insert wrap, don't overlap.... next....

I was just in Costa Rica for 3 weeks in August and September. A gal friend of mine is from there, and we were hiking through the jungle in the mountains and ran across a shade grown organic coffee farm.

That is where I want to be!

A view from across the mountain of where I should be
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/mynamehere/DSC01988.jpg

My favorite coffee ever!
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/mynamehere/DSC01994.jpg

Re your 60's tuners:
    It's vintage, man!! You can't string them engineer like,,, you have to do it the way it happened in the 60's. :cool:
    Cigarette hanging out of your mouth, frizzy hair cut, bell bottom jeans and a tie dye shirt on. Saying, "that's good enough" Best vintage guitars ever! Just listen to all those out of tune live Hendrix and Moby Grape and Jefferson Airplane. :D
    Be kind, man