I feel Stupid. AD15/12 content.

Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
edited March 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Ok, so I've replaced preamp and power tubes about 2 or 3 months ago but not the rectifier. Up to that point when the PT's crapped out I've had nary an issue with it. The amp is beginning to drop power and cut out like it did before I changed the power tubes. I know the preamp is fine. Do I dare change out the Rectifier without buying a new set of Power Tubes? I rarely dime the thing, and even with limited attenuator use I don't think the power tubes are spent, and it's only doing this when it's really hot, which lends me to think the rectifier is near the end of its useful life, it makes sense. I think It's about 2 or 3 years in use now at this point. It's kind of annoying as I was rocking a very pleasing solo during the heavy part of Hard to Imagine and then splatt splatt splatt, crap, shut her down.

What would you do?

It seems logical that the rectifier is wasted.
My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I'd swap the recto and see if that fixes the problem. If not, I'd get her in for a bias check and make sure your power tubes are running good. You *might* have got a bum power tube. But the recto seems like a more likely culprit. I would always change the recto with the power tubes (easy for me... the Vibro Champ is the only tube-rectified amp I have) so I'd get in that habit.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    the rectifier is the likely culprit in a circuit like that...

you have the right idea.
    There's No Code.
  • I've always changed the power tubes and the rectifier at the same time. But I don't see a reason why you can't just change the rectifier, expect for the fact that your life cycles between the rectifier and the power tube will always be off now
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • What is the rectifier?

Is that the lone tube between my power tube set and preamp tube set?
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • What is the rectifier?

Rectifiers whether solid state or tube, allow Electrons
    to flow from a cathode to an anode and not the opposite. Most newer amps have all switched to a solid state rectifier.

Tube rectifiers allow more tube compression and more of a natural sound. Lots of people make the mistake of switching there tube rectifier to solid state, figureing it wouldn't effect the tone but, boy does it.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    What is the rectifier?

besides the above excellent summation, the dumbed down verson.

Rectifiers allow you to use your amp with alternating current in the wall. Tube amps are DC or Direct Current. Rectifiers rectify that current. and do the above. There's a huge argument between amp builders between the tube rectifer camp and the solid state camp. I tend to like the spongy sag tube rectifiers give you, some argue you can do it with an SS rectifier, I'm sure it's possible to get close, but electrons are electrons and I love glowing glass. when the amp wants more current than the tube can produce at a given time it sags, and that's what gives you that nice smooth natural compression we all like so much, I think anyway.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    In the studio, I would always prefer a tube-rectified amp. But there are SS-rectified amps that sound good, it's not an absolute. On the road, the dependability of a SS rectifier is worth the small sacrifice in tone, unless you're making enough money to swap tubes and bias regularly (especially if you're travelling with a good tech). That's why my studio amp (Fender Vibro Champ) has a tube recto, but my stage amp (Sovtek Mig 50) has a SS recto.

Since the rectifier regulates voltage for the rest of the amp and all of the tubes, it's the most significant tube for keeping your amp running optimally. Which is why I'd replace it every time you do the power tubes, whether you need it or not... and why I'd keep a spare rectifier around at all times.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.