Are Mike's 59 Strats 2 or 3 color bursts?

Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
edited January 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
?

I can't remember if the maple board and the rosewood board are the same color or what.

For whatever reason I just love that little touch of reddish in the burst.

I also like the tiny small block inlay on early 60's 335's but hey, that's just me.
My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• solsurfrsolsurfr Posts: 207
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    ?

I can't remember if the maple board and the rosewood board are the same color or what.

For whatever reason I just love that little touch of reddish in the burst.

I also like the tiny small block inlay on early 60's 335's but hey, that's just me.

2-tone was dropped in 1958 or '57 I believe by Fender. I haven't checked but I'm almost sure of that.
    2-tone was dropped in 1958 or '57 I believe by Fender. I haven't checked but I'm almost sure of that.

Yep... changed to 3-tone sunburst in '58:

* Sunburst finish changed to three colors (red added), going yellow to red to dark brown.
    * Neck is a thinner "D" neck shape (the famous "V" neck is gone). As 1958 progresses, the neck backshape gets thinner.

Above info found here: http://www.provide.net/~cfh/fender2.html#strat
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    great, thanks. That's what I thought.

I was perusing the "59's thin skin nitro's" at wildwood and they are all 2 tone.....I'm thinking what gives.... I thought from 59 to maybe 65 or 66 maybe 67 whenever they changed the headstock... those are my favorites.

The best I ever played was a 65. Man I love the way they look, sound and feel.

I never really liked the v profile but soft C and D is great and then the U feels good off of Teles too.

Thanks for the info.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    great, thanks. That's what I thought.

I was perusing the "59's thin skin nitro's" at wildwood and they are all 2 tone.....I'm thinking what gives.... I thought from 59 to maybe 65 or 66 maybe 67 whenever they changed the headstock... those are my favorites.

The best I ever played was a 65. Man I love the way they look, sound and feel.

I'm confused on this thinking from Fender also. I've been eyeing a '57 custom shop relic as well but it sports an ASH body??? Fender switched to Alder in mid '56... so out of the box, it's not historically correct. The 5-way pickup, 9.5" radius, and 6150 frets aren't historically accurate but I would assume something as permanent as the body would be...
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I'm confused on this thinking from Fender also. I've been eyeing a '57 custom shop relic as well but it sports an ASH body??? Fender switched to Alder in mid '56... so out of the box, it's not historically correct. The 5-way pickup, 9.5" radius, and 6150 frets aren't historically accurate but I would assume something as permanent as the body would be...

Yeah if someone is precise enough to know the year they want.... don't fudge up the specs that much. I can live with the modern radius frets and switching, heck I love blender circuitry... but If I wanted ASH I'd go earlier. I like Alder.... and like you said that stuff can get changed.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    Yeah if someone is precise enough to know the year they want.... don't fudge up the specs that much. I can live with the modern radius frets and switching, heck I love blender circuitry... but If I wanted ASH I'd go earlier. I like Alder.... and like you said that stuff can get changed.

Yep... here's a killer looking '59 Relic from Maken Music...

http://www.gbase.com/Powered/GearDetails.aspx?Dealer=6db8a458-a165-4add-9847-7da43608278c&Item=1763234

Again, they got the wood right this time but the neck shape is wrong. '59 necks had a thinner "D" shape to them. The soft "V" was abandoned in '58, I believe. The modern pup wiring is pretty cool too. It's a lot of bones but pretty nice and iit's a masterbuilt guitar.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Yep... here's a killer looking '59 Relic from Maken Music...

http://www.gbase.com/Powered/GearDetails.aspx?Dealer=6db8a458-a165-4add-9847-7da43608278c&Item=1763234

Again, they got the wood right this time but the neck shape is wrong. '59 necks had a thinner "D" shape to them. The soft "V" was abandoned in '58, I believe. The modern pup wiring is pretty cool too. It's a lot of bones but pretty nice and iit's a masterbuilt guitar.
    Beauty!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    Beauty!

Would love to have it!
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175

i can dream. that's gorgeous.
    Pj_Gurl wrote:
    i can dream. that's gorgeous.

It's pretty cool how close the Custom Shop makes these reissues. When you open them up... even the inside parts are rusted and old! hahaha