IPod's and Direct Injection. (Balanced or Unbalanced)

Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
edited February 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm trying to configure what I want for my wedding setup in a few months.

I'm trying to rent two mackie SRM450 Active monitors which should be more than enough for the 150 person space. I'll probably have small mixer with both RCA's and XLR inputs.

Should I use a DI for the IPOD or just use the RCA ins? The DI would likely kill the hum and probably use the XLR inputs and maybe sound better I don't know is it worth it?

Also, interestingly enough, with a DI I might not need a mixer at all, I could probably go into the back of the SRM 450's then I'd need a Mic input too I guess... what do you think?
My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I have an RCA Y connector to direct into my big stereo and it sounds great. I have a little tube preamp before the main amp to warm it up and boost the signal because the signal is a little weaker from the Ipod than a CD player but if the mixer has a preamp you should be fine.
    I say try it out before and then you can cast all those worries aside.

You can cast aside the worries about the distinct sound and concentrate on getting that booty bouncing bass going for the Bunny Hop and YMCA. :D

And Congratulations, Paco!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    I have an RCA Y connector to direct into my big stereo and it sounds great. I have a little tube preamp before the main amp to warm it up and boost the signal because the signal is a little weaker from the Ipod than a CD player but if the mixer has a preamp you should be fine.
    I say try it out before and then you can cast all those worries aside.

You can cast aside the worries about the distinct sound and concentrate on getting that booty bouncing bass going for the Bunny Hop and YMCA. :D

And Congratulations, Paco!

Thanks Bob! :D
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    Thanks Bob! :D

Any time, Paco! Don't forget to bring the charger for the Ipod, and maybe a friend's spare ipod with the same playlist on it.

Oh, and the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about! :D
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Oh, and the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about! :D

My soon to be wife has already put the kebosh on the following at our wedding: The Macarena, Hands Up, The Electric Slide, The Chicken Dance, YMCA and Cotton Eyed Joe.

I have to admit, I agree with her. I also put in a ban on anything Justin Timberlake. I don't want to hear SexyBack at my own wedding!
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    A sound engineer friend of mine runs an IPOD direct into the RCA inputs on
    a Yamaha powered mixer (so there's music between sets).
    Personally, I think it sounds fine just like that.
    Mackie now makes a SRM450 v2 version of those speakers (new design).
    Don't forget a small SUB if you want some bottom end (thinking like a DJ).

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • Congrats Paco!
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Don't worry about a DI. If you are using a regular DJ mixer or even a small sound board, then just running the iPod into the mixer will be fine. The only exception is if you are going to put the iPod more than 15 feet from the mixer, since an unbalanced signal is only good for about 15-20 feet. But if you're going to just have them both at the same spot, no problem.

One other thing... if your mixer has RCA inputs, you're fine, but make sure it doesn't need 1/4" inputs. And I'd suggest using an actual channel (stereo channel or two mono channels) rather than a "Tape Return" input, since you'll have a proper preamp with gain adjust, and fader control over volume. If the mixer needs 1/4" inputs, or you're not sure beforehand, get a couple adapters from Radio Shack (female RCA - 1/4"). Or, get a separate cable with stereo 1/8" to dual 1/4" mono.

I also agree with Bob, make sure you have an AC charger, and something to act as a spare... discman with some CD's, another iPod, an uncle who plays tuba...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    I'm trying to configure what I want for my wedding setup in a few months.
    congrats on your upcoming wedding paco. hope all the planning goes well.
  • Congrats Paco!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Thanks Everybody.

Looks like the oh 4 foot mini jack to RCA cable I have will work fine.

Now I just have to find a good rental company and set up some playlists.