Worth of a famous brand...

Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
edited June 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/acoustics/martin/d28auth_1197551/d28auth_1197551.php

yeah I'm sure it's nice, but a new 40K guitar????

My point of dimishing returns is way way lower than that.
My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    I would never spend too much on an acoustic because when they break, you need a whole new one.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Check out the Artinger/Martin now that is an acoustic.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • Wow if I had 40 g's to spend it would probably be to put down on a new house with some land. Not on a new guitar.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    where does it say the guitar is new? is says "authentic 1937" at the top. if it's a vintage one, well, lots of people with lots of money like old instruments. if it actually IS a new guitar, I don't see why anybody would buy it.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    MLC2006 wrote:
    where does it say the guitar is new? is says "authentic 1937" at the top. if it's a vintage one, well, lots of people with lots of money like old instruments. if it actually IS a new guitar, I don't see why anybody would buy it.

http://www.mguitar.com/guitars/choosing/guitars.php?p=m&m=D-28%20Authentic%201937

IT's a custom shop. It is a lot cheaper than an original would be actually, but still 40 Grand..... That's right up there with the Gibson Chet Atkins super 4000
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    It's because it has lots of Brazilian Rosewood. Trade of Brazillian rosewood is strictly regulated and costs an absolute bomb due to the conservation of the Brazillian rainforests. So the materials do play a huge part in the costs. You'll have a hard time finding a guitar with such rare wood for under $10k or so, $40k isn't that surprising considering the guitar has solid rosewood back AND sides. Extremely rare to find a guitar with that much braziallian rosewood, and people are willing to pay the price.

In a lot of cases you can say people are paying through the nose for a brand, but in this guitar I'd say the materials pay a much larger factor in the price than the brand name. How can you price something that simply cannot be made anymore?
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    If that's the case . . .
    I have a huge plank of Brazilian Rosewood (2-inches thick x 2.5-foot wide x 5-foot long that weighs almost 80lbs).
    I'd sell that plank for $40,000 if I could get it, but I can't.
    My point being, yeah it's brazilian rosewood, but it's not that expensive.
    Here's a pre-guitar piece of B.R. for a whole $76.00 (Brazilian Rosewood BACK AND SIDES $76.00)
    Take a look on E-Bay - it's not that difficult to find, most of it for around that price - so I have to disagree.
    It'd be much much cheaper to buy the Brazilian Rosewood, then take it to a good luthier.
    You can have them make you a nice guitar that will only cost a couple thousand, not 30 or 40 thousand.
    Some companies want an obscene amount of $$$ for anything made from brazilian roswewood.
    And Martin Guitars are at the forefront for overcharging it's customers - I laugh at $40,000 for a Martin.

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    It's a nice guitar, but 40K is a lot of bananas. I would buy a custom shop GIbson, for about 4-5K, and keep the change, actually, I would spend the change, but that's not the point !! LOL !!
    Music is not a competetion.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    It's a nice guitar, but 40K is a lot of bananas. I would buy a custom shop GIbson, for about 4-5K, and keep the change, actually, I would spend the change, but that's not the point !! LOL !!
    With that kind of cash, I'd get myself a custom shop LP, a custom shop Strat, a Marshall of some sort, and a Twin Reverb, and STILL have enough for a 'normal' Martin!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V