Has Gibson ever tried a block tremolo unit?

Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
edited April 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I was wondering this this morning. I know obviously Bigsby's have been used and Lyres.

I wonder if they've ever used a block with springs on any guitars. Les Pauls or the like. I can't recall any at all, though I do wonder what it would be like having say an SG with a tremolo unit.
My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Yeah, Gibson actually factory installed some F/R trems (but they're not all that common).
    Alex Lifeson has one: click: Alex Lifeson with Gibson Les Paul Custom
    However, you can easily replace your stop-bar with Trem Stop-Tailpiece from Stewart MacDonald.
    click: Les Trem Stop-Tailpiece - in my opinion it's far less off-putting and obtrusive than a Bigsby.
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Looks cool. Ultimately I'd probably rather go custom 24 in that situation, but that's cool way less hassle than a bigsby, and the bigsby's have a little different tone I think.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.