Effects Loop Revelation

3manstack3manstack Posts: 205
edited February 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I have been a huge fool!

Was recording to and after the advice I got about the Microamp I decided to try my effects through the Loop. What have I been doing for the last six months? Being dopey is what!

Cant wait to get the Microamp, all the effects sounded so huge and my compressor really increased the volume rather than the whimper it gives when going in the front of my amp.

I feel I learnt something today, was always a bit dubious about using it now I'll always use it.

Woo hoo.

Im a happy boy!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 62strat62strat Posts: 638
    3manstack wrote:
    I have been a huge fool!

Was recording to and after the advice I got about the Microamp I decided to try my effects through the Loop. What have I been doing for the last six months? Being dopey is what!

Cant wait to get the Microamp, all the effects sounded so huge and my compressor really increased the volume rather than the whimper it gives when going in the front of my amp.

I feel I learnt something today, was always a bit dubious about using it now I'll always use it.

Woo hoo.

Im a happy boy!

im an idiot. how do you setup a few pedals through the fx loop anyway? you dont need to plug your guitar into the pedal? just use a chord and put it into the amp?duh?
  • I had a lead coming from the "send" into the pedal then another lead going back into the amp, (into the "return") then I just plugged my axe into the amp as normal.

You were asking a question and not being sarky werent you? lol
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    62strat wrote:
    im an idiot. how do you setup a few pedals through the fx loop anyway? you dont need to plug your guitar into the pedal? just use a chord and put it into the amp?duh?

effect loop send (preamp output) -> pedals -> effect loop return (poweramp input)

modulation and delay sound ok in the loop. overdrives/distortions/fuzz not so much. compression is a case by case basis.

but there are no rules.
  • One thing I did notice, my Dunlop wah sounded vaguley "sci fi" rather than the cool wah sound I get when it goes in front of the amp. So I guess its a kind of gain pedal in a roundabout way?
  • 3manstack wrote:
    One thing I did notice, my Dunlop wah sounded vaguley "sci fi" rather than the cool wah sound I get when it goes in front of the amp. So I guess its a kind of gain pedal in a roundabout way?

No, but wah tends to sound better before distortion, not after...

I'd put your wah out front.

FX loops are great for some things, alright for others, and terrible for some FX. Like Ex said, gain stages (especially overdrive/distortions) sound horrible thru the FX loop. Time-based FX, like delay, reverb, chorus, etc. sound great in the FX loop. Other FX, like modulation, are kinda the middle ground... phasers, flangers, wah, etc. can sound good out front, in the FX loop, or either equally.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.