Options

what amp would be best with......

3manstack3manstack Posts: 205
edited January 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
a brand spanky new fender 62 jazzmaster, am diving in the deep end and getting a fucking expensive geetar so I thought Id get a decent amp to go with it.

I love the sound of marshalls, have played a vs100 lately and loved it, ideally I want 3 channels and no fancy onboard digital fx.

any suggestions other than going for the above mentioned marshall? I play pop/rock, but do like my distortion

oh my budget is £600 thats about 1100 dollars.

ch-eers
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    I'd get a blackface Fender Twin Reverb, but that's just me...

If you want overdrive, Marshalls are good but Mesas are better...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Originally posted by 3manstack
    I love the sound of marshalls, have played a vs100 lately and loved it, ideally I want 3 channels and no fancy onboard digital fx.

mesa.

marshalls valvestates are weak.

for that guitar though, mig's suggestion is good.
  • Options
    Get a Blues Driver, a DS-1, and a Big Muff, with a Twin... That would be sweet.
  • Options
    i concur. i think the fender amps are a better match for the properties of the jazzmasters and those pedals would fill out the distortion palette completely.
  • Options
    Let it be known that on this day, MIG and Ex agreed on gear recommendations...
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Your in England right?

Orange AD 30 hands down. If you can't quite get that AD/15/12 It's lovely I own one.

Other than that. A rivera chubster if you can find one or a Mesa Blue Angel Nomad or Mark 4.

Or a Fender blackface deluxe RI with a DS-1 or Big Muff perhaps a Fuzz Face.

All within range.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    Let it be known that on this day, MIG and Ex agreed on gear recommendations...

hell, i'm thinking of buying a DS-1 for shits and giggles. and no one has to twist my arm get me to say how good the upscale fender amps are.
  • Options
    Originally posted by exhausted
    hell, i'm thinking of buying a DS-1 for shits and giggles. and no one has to twist my arm get me to say how good the upscale fender amps are.

check out the Analogman/Keeley combination from that guy on Ebay with the purple LED. He's not starting a new company he just liked them both and put them toegther.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options

I recently traded my Tubescreamer for a Danelectro Daddy-O and some cash...

I need the money, and was going to get some Keeleys soon anyways.

But the sad thing is, as bad as the pedal is, I made it sound acceptable... cut all the highs, boost all the mids, and bass straight-up, it's not bad.

The DS-1 is probably the best single distortion pedal on the market for just doing what you would expect. No doubt there are pedals that would fit each of us better... but hey, you gotta start somewhere.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    check out the Analogman/Keeley combination from that guy on Ebay with the purple LED. He's not starting a new company he just liked them both and put them toegther.

linky? i'd like to see it. i plan on frankensteining an ebay DS-1.
  • Options
    linky? i'd like to see it. i plan on frankensteining an ebay DS-1.

it begins.......
  • Options
    it begins.......

It's alive..... ALIVE!!
  • Options
    i have the schematic now. sadly, it's not labelled (R12, C1, C2 etc etc.) but i'll figure it out. we'll see what the stock version sounds like and then go from there.
  • Options
    i have the schematic now. sadly, it's not labelled (R12, C1, C2 etc etc.) but i'll figure it out. we'll see what the stock version sounds like and then go from there.

harsh. the stock version sounds harsh.
  • Options
    i'm finding all sorts of info including some of keeley's changes. this things going to be a blinky beast by the time it's done.
  • Options
    yeah the seeing eye mods. Clips on the LED cool. I don't know if you'll like it or not but It should be more forceful (marshall red channel like) especially the bottom end when you get the new caps. Check Keeleys website and see if he's got a schematic or something possibly on the Vai page. I remember he had one for the 5 star mod on the SD-1.
  • Options
    yep. found the vast majority of the keeley changes on his site. fun fun.
  • Options
    cool. I thought he'd post it there. I really should look into a BD-2

now that the Reverb fell through I'm thinking delay first but I still can't decide. I'm probably going to wait and payoff the BR-532 first before I buy a DL-4 or CC-2. But I'm seriously considering Mr. Echo. The DynaComp is becoming annoying. I think I'm going to sell it really cheap if you want it. It needs work.
  • Options
    depends on what you want. i'm finding the BD-2 reacts very differently depending on the amp.

i thought about getting a rat but i couldn't find any soundclips anywhere plus the DS-1 is cheaper.

i'm really just doing this for something to do. if it sounds ass, i won't be too upset. it wasn't a huge investment.
  • Options
    I'd be happy to provide you some rat soundclips I just have to post them or maybe e-mail them too you.

It's all for fun anyway.
  • Options
    for 3manstack. once again I throw my support behind you checking out Orange or Matamp. I believe Orange covers most of southern england and Matamp covers the northern country theres some sort of bargaining agreement..

Either way http://www.matamp.com

http://www.orange-amps.com

Cheers.

Ex. A thing of beauty this. http://www.matamp.com/matamp1224.html
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    I'd be happy to provide you some rat soundclips I just have to post them or maybe e-mail them too you.

It's all for fun anyway.

did you happen to listen to my BD-2 clips i did a while ago?
  • Options
    did you happen to listen to my BD-2 clips i did a while ago?

I can't remember if I did or not. I think so. It's tough to remember since I don't have speakers at work. I've got to buy some headphones as my recording ones are broken. I'll order a pair today
  • Options
    just ordered the handful of caps and LEDs i need to mess this thing up. all things considered, this is very cheap entertainment. now i just have to sit and wait for it all to arrive.
  • Options
    just ordered the handful of caps and LEDs i need to mess this thing up. all things considered, this is very cheap entertainment. now i just have to sit and wait for it all to arrive.

how do you go about de soldiering?
  • Options
    i just use desoldering braid. piece of cake. i haven't had any problems so far other than consumption of iron tips.
  • Options
    i just use desoldering braid. piece of cake. i haven't had any problems so far other than consumption of iron tips.

ah. Perhaps I should look into going to buy some and a new weller and opening the damned DynaComp.
  • Options
    like i said before, it's broken anyway. might as well have fun with it.
  • Options
    3manstack3manstack Posts: 205
    a fender hot rod deluxe

just in my budget and everything i wanted, 3 channels, all tube, no gimmicky digital fx and a lovely tone to boot.

cant wait for my jazzmaster to come now.......*sighs*

thanks for the suggestions guys, appreciated
  • Options
    good choice congrats.