Give me 3 good reasons why I should buy an MXR MIcroamp pedal

3manstack3manstack Posts: 205
edited February 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Thinking of getting one to help me with solos

I want 3 good reasons why I should get one.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    1. the dial glows in the dark
    2. its simple to use
    3. its MXR (need i say more)
    4. its white therefore it must be virginally pure and untainted eh?
    ahha
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
  • 1. It'll work
    2. It'll sound good
    3. All the cool kids are doing it
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    1. Looks cool

2. makes your sound bigger and fatter

3. you can turn the knob with your foot
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    1. you tried it and it worked for you.
    2. you tried it and it worked for you.
    3. you tried it and it worked for you.
  • exhausted wrote:
    1. you tried it and it worked for you.
    2. you tried it and it worked for you.
    3. you tried it and it worked for you.

Got something on your mind, Ex?
    Got something on your mind, Ex?

just that any given pedal, no matter how cheap or expensive, can sound like absolute shit depending on the rig it's being used in and how. so there's no way to say if something's going to work out well until it's tried.
    exhausted wrote:
    just that any given pedal, no matter how cheap or expensive, can sound like absolute shit depending on the rig it's being used in and how. so there's no way to say if something's going to work out well until it's tried.

great advice. it could be 20 dollars or 400. You liked the double muff you bought too right? Various botique pedals may be built stronger and have better components but that's not always the sound that people want. For instance Sonic Youth. They've made a career out of pawn shop prizes and el cheapos.

ever get your mitts on a fuzz factory?
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    the double muff is a great pedal depending on how it's used. i'm not surprised there are so many bad reviews for it because people don't understand how to use it.

i still haven't got a FF. i want one of the silk-screened ones but musictoyz is the only place i've seen them and i don't want to buy from him. i see them on ebay once in a while but the prices are jacked up.
    exhausted wrote:
    the double muff is a great pedal depending on how it's used. i'm not surprised there are so many bad reviews for it because people don't understand how to use it.

i still haven't got a FF. i want one of the silk-screened ones but musictoyz is the only place i've seen them and i don't want to buy from him. i see them on ebay once in a while but the prices are jacked up.

If I ever do get one I could buy two and just sell it to you for what MT sells it for. On ebay I've not seen them under $175 usually they go for like $190

analogman should have them by now. I think. It's just that musictoyz does so much business he has huge orders. What is the problem with musictoyz?
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    If I ever do get one I could buy two and just sell it to you for what MT sells it for. On ebay I've not seen them under $175 usually they go for like $190

analogman should have them by now. I think. It's just that musictoyz does so much business he has huge orders. What is the problem with musictoyz?

he was a jerk-off to me a couple years ago and i've heard lots of similar stories since.
    exhausted wrote:
    he was a jerk-off to me a couple years ago and i've heard lots of similar stories since.

ah, likely because you are canadian and a hassle for him I guess. I bought my Direct Drive from him and had no issues. I would think Maine and Canada would be pretty friendly, guess not. No wonder he gets along really well with Mike Fuller.

ah well, one day maybe.

sorry for being off topic.
    i have that martin on order anyway so i'm on a spending freeze anyway.

anyway, the microamp should work for solo boosts if it's placed after other gain stages.
    exhausted wrote:
    i have that martin on order anyway so i'm on a spending freeze anyway.

anyway, the microamp should work for solo boosts if it's placed after other gain stages.

right, and the micro amp is cheap relatively speaking. It's also not an issue to sell on ebay. In fact, that's probably where I'd try to purchase it, so if you don't like it, you can probably still get back what you paid for it.

I played a martin just like the one you're getting the other day. It's a pretty cool guitar. Not quite the mojo of a 50's martin but it sounds great anyhow.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41416&item=3780963120&rd=1
  • exhausted wrote:

Oh, I agree with you...

I'm a big fan of "try before you buy."
  • Well I ordered it, traded in some pedals I dont use anymore and only ended up paying £19 for it. Im a happy bunny.

exhausted said place it after the gain stages. i use the amps second channel for distortion. so my efx chain would be

guitar
    >compression--->wah---->chorus
    >delay
    >micro amp
    >amp

thatd be right wouldnt it?
    do you have an effects loop in the amp?

if you put it in front of the amp, it's mostly just going to give you more distortion and not much more volume (depending on how distorted the signal already is). that's why i suggested putting it after other gain pedals. i see now that you have no other gain pedals so it's not as big an issue but i'd still put it near the end of the chain to prevent overloading the chorus and delay pedals (sometimes, hot signals clip in effect pedals).

however, if you can put it in the effects loop, you may be able to boost the volume of the signal without much more distortion since it would be after the preamp in the signal flow. most of the distortion is occurring in the preamp so the microamp would just take and bump the volume of this signal up more.

i'm probably not making much sense.
  • exhausted wrote:
    do you have an effects loop in the amp?

if you put it in front of the amp, it's mostly just going to give you more distortion and not much more volume (depending on how distorted the signal already is). that's why i suggested putting it after other gain pedals. i see now that you have no other gain pedals so it's not as big an issue but i'd still put it near the end of the chain to prevent overloading the chorus and delay pedals (sometimes, hot signals clip in effect pedals).

however, if you can put it in the effects loop, you may be able to boost the volume of the signal without much more distortion since it would be after the preamp in the signal flow. most of the distortion is occurring in the preamp so the microamp would just take and bump the volume of this signal up more.

i'm probably not making much sense.

The missing word here is "compression."

Overdrive/distortion effects compress the signal, and the more distortion, the more compression. So, if your distortion is pretty distorted, putting the MicroAmp out front will make things louder, but will also be more distorted and compressed. If you have an FX loop, you can put the MicroAmp into the FX loop and boost the signal AFTER it's been distorted.

The other way to use it would be if you had a distortion/overdrive pedal, and you put the MicroAmp after that pedal. FYI, if you put it in front of your amp, this is how I'd go:

guitar -> wah -> compression -> micro amp -> chorus -> delay -> amp

The wah can go where you like it, but I like to put my comp after my wah, to mellow it out a little. The compressor is the only gain effect in your pedals (wah is modulation, chorus and delay are time-based).

Hope that made more sense...