Truss Rod Question

3manstack3manstack Posts: 205
edited February 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey

Im setting up my new 70's strat and Im not sure which way to the manual is telling me to turn the truss rod

Is anti clockwise/anticlockwise with the head stock facing away from me or is it with the headstock facing me?

The actions a little low and ive done all i can to the bridge saddles and intonation it just needs a bit more of a concave out into the neck to get rid of a few fret buzzes.

Thanks for the advice
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• You should be looking at the fretboard. Only about 1/4 turn at a time, then tighten the strings and check things out. Rinse. Repeat.
  • In the words of a great guitar tech/ plumber from hundreds of years ago:
    Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosey :D

The truss rod is a curved "T" bar in the neck that gives stability to the neck. There is a thread on the end of the bar with a nut on it.

Basically when you tighten the nut (Right) you put more tension to bend the neck backwards,,,,, when you loosen it you are releasing tension, which makes the strings pull the neck forward. So to let the neck come outward loosen the nut like a water faucet.

Only turn it 1/8 turn at a time. maybe a quarter, but if you just have some fret buzz 1/8 is where to start. sometimes the results are instant, then it may take a day for some more subtle changes, especially maple necks. They're hard wood.

When you let the neck bow out a little like that,, It's called "relief" Usually it's about right when you put a capo at the first fret, hold the high E string down at the highest fret and there should be a gap at the 8th fret. A few peices of paper should do to measure, or about .010 with a feeler guage if you have one. That's a matter of preference.

After you adjust the neck you might need to intonate the saddles again. Probably not if it's a small adjustment.

It takes longer to type this than it does to actually do it! :)
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart