Pedal Order, Please help as Im not sure

3manstack3manstack Posts: 205
edited January 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hi, Good to be back

Can any of youse guys please help with the order of my pedals?

I have......

Guitar, Amp - Peavey Classic 50 (with distortion coming from the amp via the footswitch). The amp has an efx loop but Im not sure about that (help also if you please)

A marshall Edward the compressor, Morley Volume pedal, Dunlop Wah, Boss Delay, Boss Chorus. The Chorus and Delay I sometimes leave out.

Thanks in advance, I love pedals they just confuse me sometimes.

Cheers
thetriplestackedman
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    there are no rules about it.... however... this is how i would do it.

volume -> wah -> compressor -> chorus -> delay -> amp

i don't like effects loops but you could try the chorus and delay in that loop as well. i prefer delay in front of the amp though.

every combination sounds different so try a few things.
  • I agree with exhausted that there are no rules and that it's a matter of preference.

I also agree with his suggestion for the order of your pedals. That' probably the most common scenerio for them and what most people would go with. Still doesn't mean you have to though.

I however do like my effects loop. I would put the chorus first and then the delay in the effects loop.
  • some help with the effects loop bit also. I don't use mine cause for some reason it doesn't work with the big muff pedal. Tottally weird. Like it changes the sound but it is not the same sound as it should create. Because of this I just plug the muff into the chain. Like the sound is not even close to the fuzz sound. This is not a preference of sound I am talking about it is clearly not working.

Any ideas on why it doesn't work?
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    distortion and fuzz pedals don't belong in the effects loop anyway.
  • Right, they always go in front of the amp.
  • Effects loops are primarily for time-based effects, and possibly for modulation.

Time-based effects: Reverb, Delay, Chorus
    Modulation: Phase, Flange, Wah, Vibe/Vibrato

The ONLY effects I'd ever put in an effects loop would be Reverb or Delay (I don't like chorus, but I'd still put it out front if I used it). Any gain-based effect NEEDS to be out front, unless you use a compressor for an interesting effect in the FX loop.

Gain-based effects: Clean Boost, Compression, Sustain, Overdrive, Distortion, Fuzz
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Anyone else tried the new Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah? I tried it last night and it seemed pretty sweet and very versatile.

EDIT - wow, somehow managed to post this in the wrong thread! Sorry guys!
    [Kitchener 05 - London 05 - Hamilton 05 - Toronto 05 - Astoria 06 - Dublin 06 - Leeds 06 - Reading 06 - Wembley 07] -- I think I've had enough ....
  • I have the peavey classic 50 also. I wouldn't recommend using the effects loop because if you look at the signal path, the reverb is before the effects loop. I've tried to put all my pedals through the effects loop and the reverb gets increased big time giving a really nasty sound. The problem with the distortion is that you can't boost unless the boost pedal is in the effects loop. That's why I have to use this as a singel channel amp, clean only, and use pedals for the distortion. In terms of the order of pedals, I always put my wah first, then distortion, then boost. But that's because I'm not using effects like chorus or delay. You might want to put a chorus before the distortion, but I'm not sure about the delay.
    "I had a false belief I thought I came here to stay... we're all just visiting."
  • Bump
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...