I got an new amp!!!! follow up to valve amp trouble

3manstack3manstack Posts: 205
edited August 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Well I did it, went to the music shop and traded in the hot rod.

The guy there was very cool, talked me back in to getting a tube amp, after A/B ing a Marshall avt100 and a peavey classic 50 I went with the latter and Im over the fucking moon, everything about it to me is better than the hot rod.

Footswitch - silent switching to overdrive and back, the hot rod had a dropout going back to clean

The Sound - WoooW! Really nice clean and a decent "Rock" dirty sound, the hot rods dirty was very weird could never get used to it

So basically I fell back in love with tubes, just going to buy me a set of spares just in case now, but from what I read on harmony central, Peavey are pretty reliable.

Im Happy again
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by 3manstack
    Well I did it, went to the music shop and traded in the hot rod.

The guy there was very cool, talked me back in to getting a tube amp, after A/B ing a Marshall avt100 and a peavey classic 50 I went with the latter and Im over the fucking moon, everything about it to me is better than the hot rod.

Footswitch - silent switching to overdrive and back, the hot rod had a dropout going back to clean

The Sound - WoooW! Really nice clean and a decent "Rock" dirty sound, the hot rods dirty was very weird could never get used to it

So basically I fell back in love with tubes, just going to buy me a set of spares just in case now, but from what I read on harmony central, Peavey are pretty reliable.

Im Happy again

good. I actually favor the sound and tone of the Peavy's to the hotrods too. The overdrive is tons better.

Make sure you keep it cool my friend. Get a small clip fan and have it blow on the tubes when you are playing. Also always turn the amp on in standby and let it warm up for 30 seconds before turning it on. That will save you life on your tubes.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • 3manstack3manstack Posts: 205
    Thanks for the tips chief
    but it has a fan in it is that not enough?
    Thanks for the tips chief
    but it has a fan in it is that not enough?

ah, yes. that's plenty. I forgot the classic 50 had a fan.

2x12's or 4x10's?
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • 3manstack3manstack Posts: 205
    4x10's!!!!

Big smiles all round from me, for the last 10 years Ive wanted multiple speakers in an amp and I can reaaly notice the difference with em.

The only downer about this amp is its size Its huge!!!!!

My bass player and the rhythm guitarist are going to hate me!!!

Hee hee
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I always did like the 4x10" Classic 50. Nice, punchy, full tone. However, I'd say I prefer the Fender Blues DeVille 4x10" over both the Classic 50 and the Hot Rod DeVille. It's just a slightly warmer, more "vintage" tone. And it pushes REALLY nice with a tubescreamer. However, you can't go wrong with the Classic 50. They used to have some big trouble with heat issues, that's why the fan is in the newer models. With the fan, it's a great amp. The key is to keep the amp breathing... don't squash it tight against a wall, don't tip it back against a wall, don't stack a bunch of stuff on top of it. Try to keep about 30 cm (1 foot) of clear room around the back and top so it can ventilate properly. Like Paco said, warm the amp up on "Stand-By" for a while (I prefer 1 minute or more) before playing on it, and I'd also turn it to stand-by for a minute before powering off, too. Tube amps run the best when the tubes are warmed up, it stresses them a bit when they get forced to heat up fast or get cooled down too fast. The Peavey footswitch is a pretty big improvement on the Fender design, I'll give ya that... but I don't like footswitches for anything but reverb. Or maybe tremolo.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    4x10's!!!!

Big smiles all round from me, for the last 10 years Ive wanted multiple speakers in an amp and I can reaaly notice the difference with em.

The only downer about this amp is its size Its huge!!!!!

My bass player and the rhythm guitarist are going to hate me!!!

Hee hee

I love that amp. I think you'll do really well with it. Congrats
  • I'm a big 2-12 fan for guitars and a 4-10 for bass.

Classic 50 is a fantastic head. A friend of mine has been playing thru it for years now, just amazing. and the best part is, not everyone has it I.E. Marshall
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/