Didnt go for a PRS Custom 24 after all, went for a...

3manstack3manstack Posts: 205
edited January 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Fender Classic Series 70's Strat.

3 Colour Sunburst with a Maple Fingerboard

After thinking about it for a while the PRS was just too expensive, and I really am a fender man through and through. I also saved nearly 2000 quid so Im happy with my alternative choice.

I do like a guitar with a few dings and scrapes, if Id have got a PRS I dont think it would of left the house.

Checking the reviews for the Strat on Harmony Central I seem to of made a decent choice. Was quite surprised to find out its a Mexican Fender, not that that matters.

Anybody else play one? your thoughts would be appreciated...

http://www.fender.com/products/show.php?partno=0137002

a pic for the guy that asked.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    cool, I'm a strat man myself. Though I'll probably get lynched around here if I talk anymore about them without buying one.

That's a cool guitar you bought. I adore the clarity of single coils.

I've been looking at these lately speaking of dents and scrapes. http://www.nashguitars.com
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    the classic line of the mexican fenders are gaining a reputation as being pretty good. much better than the mexican "standard" models for example.
  • Wow you bought a Strat over a PRS. In some forums that could be considered a cardnal sin! hehe

But when you think about the price, I see your point!
    [Kitchener 05 - London 05 - Hamilton 05 - Toronto 05 - Astoria 06 - Dublin 06 - Leeds 06 - Reading 06 - Wembley 07] -- I think I've had enough ....
  • how much was the PRS gonna be? And how much was the fender?

Can you get up some pics of the fender for us?
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • 3manstack3manstack Posts: 205
    The PRS was £2399 and I got the Strat for £510 plus Im trading in the Boss GT6 and my epiphone SG so that should bring it down to about £300 odd.

I don't own it yet! Boo! Theres a shortage of Strats in the UK apparently and the guitars somewhere on a ship over the Atlantic.

Should get it within the month *fingers crossed*

Thanks for the feedback, it's nice to know I made a good decision.
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    You coulda got a PRS off E-bay for much cheaper....just a thought
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
  • Not a bad choice in my opinion, but I'm not really a PRS guy. Mexican strats really aren't anything to be ashamed of, especially some of the "upper" models like the classics.

I've heard many people say they would rather play a Mexican than a Highway 1. I've also heard of some professional musicians who play mexicans, though they change some of the hardware.
  • My "A" guitar is a Mexican Fender.

With some mods.

That's one hell of a difference, not just in price, but in tone...

I would figure Schecter as a cheaper option compared to PRS. Similar tone, great quality, same asthetic...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Yah, PRS has beautiful inlays on some of its necks.

I do think the schecter tempest is a top 3 cool lookin guitar. specifically the billy corgan one.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • I do think the schecter tempest is a top 3 cool lookin guitar. specifically the billy corgan one.

It's a pretty guitar... with the Duncan P-90's, hard to go wrong.

For anyone looking at a PRS, but balking a bit at the price, the Schecter C-1 guitars are really nice and a lot more affordable... and sound fuckin' killer.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    It's a pretty guitar... with the Duncan P-90's, hard to go wrong.

For anyone looking at a PRS, but balking a bit at the price, the Schecter C-1 guitars are really nice and a lot more affordable... and sound fuckin' killer.

as do the Diamond Series PT's with duncans. The CSH is pretty cool as a hollowbody it's just not the look or the fingerboard radius I want.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    as do the Diamond Series PT's with duncans. The CSH is pretty cool as a hollowbody it's just not the look or the fingerboard radius I want.

The C-1 E/A is kinda cool... it's a semi-hollow strat-shaped guitar with a piezo pickup in the bridge in addition to the two humbuckers. Not the best acoustic sound in the world, but it would be easy to use at a gig.