which do u think is more difficult?

elusive_oneelusive_one Posts: 117
edited January 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Which do you think is harder to do - sing and play guitar OR sing and play bass? The reason I ask is cos I've been playing gtr for about 8 years, and bass about 10 months and I've been having problems singing while playing bass... it's the seperating the rhythm of the bass while putting a different melody over it that is getting me kinda mixed up. I just can't work out if it's my lack of bass experience or if it is actually more difficult to sing and play bass.
"...to love some silly piece of music... or some band so much that it hurts"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• parchyparchy Posts: 205
    No QUESTION for me, singing and playing bass is a BILLION times harder than playing guitar and singing...

I've been playing bass for close to 5 years now and I've never been good at it, so it's not just you...
    Make Movies. Don't make Videos. Videos are evil.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Its relative. Sting did it rather well didn't he. It's what ever instrument you play least and what kind of runs you are playing.

I feel playing drums and singing is hardest because your feet hands and mouth are all doing different things.

How do you tell when the stage is level?

The drummer drools from both sides of his mouth.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Originally posted by Pacomc79
    Its relative. Sting did it rather well didn't he. It's what ever instrument you play least and what kind of runs you are playing.

I feel playing drums and singing is hardest because your feet hands and mouth are all doing different things.

How do you tell when the stage is level?

The drummer drools from both sides of his mouth.

Tho I don't play drums (I did for a year when I was 16 but it was hard to continue playing drums w/out a drumkit), I can imagine drumming and singing would be really hard... I dunno how some drummers do it!
  • I think it's all relative...

It took me a long time to learn to sing and play guitar together. I started with the easy stuff, progressed to harder stuff... Really, once I got comfortable playing the guitar, I was able to let my hands do all the work there and let my mind concentrate on the vocals. It became sort of second-nature.

Then my band switched me to bass after our bass player quit... I went into it with only a few practices, went into our first show as a bass player, and was surprised by how easily I sang while playing bass. A lot of it was being familiar with the songs... had been playing them on rhythm guitar for two years by then. It was a lot more difficult to write new basslines and harmonies together, though...

Now, playing mandolin, piano, or drums, singing is less a problem, because my mouth can do the work, and I can let my mind focus on playing the instrument.

So, it all comes with practice...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • I don't have any problem singing and playing guitar... I guess I thought that bass would be just as easy, or would just come naturally... but even songs that I know really well (Corduroy for instance) I find parts of it hard to play bass and sing along to. It's not a hard song to play, and it's not hard to sing, so I can't work out why I have these problems seperating the vocals from the basslines in my head. Maybe my brain just has weird wiring or something... hehe.
  • It'll come with time, CeeCee. Just keep pluggin' away at it.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    It'll come with time, CeeCee. Just keep pluggin' away at it.

Yeah, I try... it's just frustrating that 1 comes so easy, the other doesn't... I think it makes our guitarist/singer a bit annoyed too cos i tend to back away from doing backing vocals cos I find it hard to do both. But thanks Spanky... I will keep trying.
  • neither is harder, it's like saying, which is harder, walking and chewing, or watching a game and eating a pretzle . . . sort of . . .
    once u get good enough at something, like a particular song, but in a general sense as well, it just becomse instinct and u can concentrate on the singing, try doing both sperately lots, then putting it together.
    some things once spoken, can't be taken back