Options

Danelectro T-Bone distortion.. any good?

dan_alivedan_alive Posts: 123
edited October 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
hi all
i just put a bid on this pedal on eBay.. is it any good?
i've read some good things about it and it's pretty cheap so i thought what the hell i'll place a bid (it's my first bid too!)

cheers
dan
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
"It is I, with the empty bladder!"

www.nowalletevolution.com
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    dan see if you can find a fab tone from dano instead it's much better as a distortion. The other is plastic and wont hold up. You should be able to get a fab tone for under 30 bucks american.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    depends on how much you bid on it. This company doesn't charge very much for their pedals so you might be able to get a new one for close to what you're bidding on. I have no experience with this particular pedal tho.
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • Options
    dan_alivedan_alive Posts: 123
    hey guys, yeah i let the bidding pass me... wasn't convinced. thanks paco, will look into the fab tone and keep an eye on it at eBay. they do seem pretty cheap
    |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
    "It is I, with the empty bladder!"

www.nowalletevolution.com
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    The Danelectro Daddy-O is pretty good, too. But you can't beat a Tube Screamer.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    pariahpariah Posts: 596
    Speaking of Tube Screamers... is the TS-9 as they sell them now ANY good or does it really need the TS-808 mod? Which one do our beloved PJ demigods use? (old 808's my guess..)
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Actually, on the last tour, Stone was completely off distortion pedals, just using compressors and the natural drive of his tube amps. Mike was going back and forth between a Tube Screamer and natural drive. Go to http://www.giventowail.com to see the specs on the gear from the last tour.

As for which model they used, and if it was modded, at least Mike used a TS-808. They are hard to come by, but the Modified versions of TS-9 Tube Screamers come damned close. Personally, if I had a TS-808, I would keep it in a safe somewhere, only take it out for important recording sessions. Those things are damn near irreplaceable!

I'll be in the market for some modified Tube Screamers from Keeley here in the next couple months, when I have some $$$ saved up again. Go to http://www.robertkeeley.com/home.php to see his stuff. I love my stock TS-9, but I figure the Plus Mod and Baked Mod together would give me a better selection of tones. But the stock TS-9 is still pretty damned great.

EDIT: In the last tour, Mike had a TS-9 chassis on his pedal board (when he HAD a Tube Screamer there). It may or may not have been modified to TS-808 specs, or otherwise modified. http://www.giventowail.com Gear Album is pretty damned comprehensive...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    Whee... thanks (and sorry for asking things I could have read on GTW).. well, I guess Keeley mods will be somewhat hard to come by down here in the Netherlands... is the Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive anywhere near the 808 (thought I read that somewhere..)??
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • Options
    AAAAHH!!

on Keeley.com:
    Shipping is free on all orders including overseas!!! Yep, we love one and all

Yea baby!! Robert Keeley for Pope!!
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Originally posted by pariah
    AAAAHH!!

on Keeley.com:

[q] Shipping is free on all orders including overseas!!! Yep, we love one and all [/q]

Yea baby!! Robert Keeley for Pope!!

it's now $10US for overseas shipping.
  • Options
    Whee... thanks (and sorry for asking things I could have read on GTW).. well, I guess Keeley mods will be somewhat hard to come by down here in the Netherlands... is the Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive anywhere near the 808 (thought I read that somewhere..)??

yes, the sparkle is very close to an 808. with a clean blend that allows you to restore some of the bass response lost in the overdrive circuit.
  • Options
    Originally posted by exhausted

still really cheap for overseas. He uses the TI chips too just like SRV had in his 808's.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Originally posted by exhausted

So much for Keeley as my Pope. :mad:
  • Options
    $10 is a fraction of the actual cost. it's a deal.
  • Options
    So much for Keeley as my Pope. :mad:

he simply can't afford to do it anymore too much business. I think he's built something like 1500 compressors now.
  • Options
    Just kidding people... just kidding. To make up with you guys, I'll order the thing. ;)