Options

Band stress: vocalist situation is causing a split band

dan_alivedan_alive Posts: 123
edited December 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
It's been a heavy couple days with this whole vocalist situation...

basically we have had two auditions... this one girl we've had a couple of jams with has an amazing voice... but she doesn't seem to have the balls enough to rock our heavier songs as well as suiting our existing music... the band is split and there are ppl adamant about gettin her in saying we don't need to audition anyone else...
there's 3/5 of us who want to get more ppl in to audition and make sure that we have made the best decision possible...

we've been goin on for 9 months getting our set really tight as well as recently making the decision to get the best vocalist possible FOR OUR BAND... we are pretty diverse, each of us. as much as it makes our band what it is, it has also made this split.

- would you go for a girl who is technically superior? or the passion and heart to rock?

- to keep the peace, would you take a girl on for a couple months who u dont fully agree with? is this right?

this is so fucken stressful
dan
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
"It is I, with the empty bladder!"

www.nowalletevolution.com
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I'm more inclined to go for passion, Does she look like someone who could grow into the heavier stuff? Sometimes people need room to spread their wings.

There is always push and pull in a diverse band. Sometimes that is what makes it great.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Diverse bands can be bitch especially in these situations...

thanks for the reply.. i'm more inclined to go with passion too. that's what people can relate to

• Options
    Can she see herself getting out a Jazz background?, or stepping it up a notch? (or down, whichever way you look at it) Maybe a question to ask up front. If she has the technique and the desire, maybe she deserves a chance!

I was in a rock band once where we got a woman who was a klezmer trumpeter. She was awesome and precise, but not a great fit to start. We managed to corrupt her though, and she ended up wailed on that thing. We learned a lot about other music from her, too. She welcomed the opportunity to spread out, and rose to the occasion and became a rocker.
    Be kind, man
    I don't think you should get someone who doesn't fit the sound of the band. I'd audition some more. what can it hurt? you may find someone who fits perfect, but if not, then you could always fall back on her.
  • Options
    that's what I'm pushing for, more auditions.. a pool of singers to choose from. hopefully ppl agree to that

• Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Ever watch Journey's Behind the Music?
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    nope... will that help? :)

• Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Probably not.

I would be in favor of more auditions, too. I know how hard it is, but really, you should find the one person that everyone says, "That's the one." If not, there will be resentment all around... if you don't find someone, you have the one good candidate. I would say, "Let's audition 3 or 4 more people, then if we don't find someone better, we'll give her the spot." But set a limit... don't say, "Let's keep searching indefinitely for the perfect person"... set a number and stick to it.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Originally posted by dan_alive
    Some of us can't see her getting out of her jazz based background. And we're definitely not a jazz band.

Diverse bands can be bitch especially in these situations...

thanks for the reply.. i'm more inclined to go with passion too. that's what people can relate to

I had a similar situation. Very similar. The vocalist was so cerebral she'd be suggesting chord modulations.... and altered voicings ..... and interpolations of chords and melodies straight out of Slomninsky's scale book. Coltrane used that book too but he had passion, gusto, force. Sorry, but she hadn't. One of my dearest friends still today, but the time of the fracture wasn't that nice.

No, you're better off with the unpolished power of The Buzzcocks than the prissy niceties of.... someone who in Ed's words can't distinguish between their heart and brain. I know: you want to be cool with her and not hurt her but you've got a vision. Some laugh these things off as "musical differences" but they're serious to us.
  • Options
    It's serious definitely... it's like being married to five people lol. Well not quite, but it seems like it.

I have no problem with a good voice, but it's gotta work with the passion... it's a pain having grown up with Pearl Jam hehe.

• Options
    Originally posted by dan_alive
    It's serious definitely... it's like being married to five people lol. Well not quite, but it seems like it.

I have no problem with a good voice, but it's gotta work with the passion... it's a pain having grown up with Pearl Jam hehe.

I grew up with Janis Joplin. Things haven't changed that much!

Passion drives rock.

If you have other choices, ask the band for the patience to audition a few more.
    Be kind, man
    Regardless of a person's skills, if they don't click immediately with EVERYONE or after a couple of call backs, it only gets worse down the road. Doesn't matter how musically tight you think you are, the internal strain will defeat you. Go for more try outs, true musicians/vocalists are use to it and rejection.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • Options
    El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    Bill Hicks did a funny routine about 'rock' stars and those that play from their heart...

anywho could this girl eventually rock out to this heavier songs of yours? Maybe that style's just not her thing so she never really tried doing it that way.

If you have shows to do I'd say take her, if it doesn't work out show me one band that every member has stayed in for the whole career (i'm tlaking of good bands)

If you don't think she's capable of learning how to do those heavier songs then keep auditioning people.
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • Options
    thanks for the replies ladies and gents

we're goin with this chick for the moment... and trying to patch up our relationship with the band.. basically involves gettin everything of our chests (like i spent 55 minutes on the phone blasting the culprit) and then having a band meeting when our bass player comes back from overseas in a couple weeks...

hopefully it'll turn out ok