Question regarding Clapton's Layla

dan_alivedan_alive Posts: 123
edited May 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey guys, long time since I been in here...
Got a question hoping you could answer although not PJ related..

In the intro for Layla... i'm trying to replicate that sound he has for fun.. besides the make of his guitar etc, what effects do u think he's using there? Is there slight octave effect? i'm trying to pick it
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
"It is I, with the empty bladder!"

www.nowalletevolution.com
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• the unseenthe unseen Posts: 372
    it's been a long time since i've heard that song,so maybe this is wrong info......but on the original version, duane allman is also playing guitar in that band......maybe what you hear as an octive pedal is two guitars playing unison lines.

as far as guitar,i'd guess that he used a strat.
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    Hey Dan_alive

Thanks! I haven't listened the Derek and the Dominos for a while , I just put it on. Damn what a great album. I was in high school when that came out and never forget the moment when we all first heard that.

I don't think there are any effects on that album except an overdrive here and there. That was recorded in 1970, and just two of the great guitarists in the world at the time, jamming for the most part, in Miami.
    Clapton on a strat, usually though a marshall, fender and a lot of it on a Pignose amp. There are a few overdubs, but that's it.

Duane Allman was playing SG, Les Paul and I saw a picture of him with a Strat.

Maybe the effects were this: Clapton was desperately in unrequited love with Patty Boyd-Harrison (George Harrison's wife at the time), That's who the song is about. Also, he was jamming with his friendly rival, Duane Allman. So they were definitely pushing each other, and the drummer and bass were brilliant on that album too.
    (The drummer, Jim Gordon, also played the piano part at the end of Layla.)

Hmm,
    I remember SOME stuff from back then! :D
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

and here's the strat
    http://www.fredsmusic.com/images/.ecauction/105.jpg

all $450,000 of it.
  • rustneepsrustneeps Posts: 5
    I remember (or sort of remember, the details could be off...) reading in an old Allman Brother's Band biography that when the album was mixed that because the equipment didn't quite synch up right or something it sped the song up a bit, and that could have changed the pitch a bit I suppose...hope that helps....
  • Gus_3218Gus_3218 Posts: 59
    Originally posted by exhausted
    i don't hear any effects. i think the octave is simply natural harmonics doing their thing.

and here's the strat
    http://www.fredsmusic.com/images/.ecauction/105.jpg

all $450,000 of it.

mmmmmmm
    ‘‘If somebody said to me, in twelve years you’ll be in a band with your brother and two carrot munching geezers who don’t like football I would have said fuck off, I’m not joining the Bee Gees.’’

Noel Gallagher
  • puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    Originally posted by who's_pearljam?
    Hey Dan_alive

Also, he was jamming with his friendly rival, Duane Allman. So they were definitely pushing each other, and the drummer and bass were brilliant on that album too.
    (The drummer, Jim Gordon, also played the piano part at the end of Layla.)
    Hmm,
    I remember SOME stuff from back then! :D

The bass player was Carl Radle.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.