re-painting a guitar - advice

Lukin_ozLukin_oz Posts: 257
edited September 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
i got a guitar which while on the cheaper side i have loved for years, so im planning on re-painting it to give it a new lease of life. its a les paul copy with that high gloss finish. Does anyone have any info or advice on how to prepare the wood etc for a good repainted finish? does anyone know what they use to get that thick gloss final hard coat? anyone have any ideas on a cool design concept? i was thinking of doing a mccready tribute on it (much like the bob marley epiphones)
Those who dance are called insane by those who dont hear the music
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• It's pretty tough to get a professional looking high gloss finish at home, unless you have all the pro's equipment. I've tried numerous times, and at best I get a finish that's "somewhat of a semi-gloss in the right light. Most of the spray laquers out there just don't give you that thick deep gloss of a nitrocellulose finish (as used on higher end and older guitars). With that said, there's nothing wrong with painting a guitar yourself, as long as you don't expect perfection. Good Luck.
    Cause I'll stop trying to make a difference. I'm not trying to make a difference. I'll stop trying to make a difference. No way!
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    http://www.stewmac.com

check out the finishes section. they have pretty much all you need, plus some handy books on the matter.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishing_supplies.html

well nevermind that won't help you because they don't ship anything flammable outside the US. Sorry.

Bob, could probably offer great advice on this, including do it in a well ventilated area!
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    http://www.stewmac.com

check out the finishes section. they have pretty much all you need, plus some handy books on the matter.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishing_supplies.html

well nevermind that won't help you because they don't ship anything flammable outside the US. Sorry.

Bob, could probably offer great advice on this, including do it in a well ventilated area!

Come on where is the fun if you do it in a ventilated area? I prefer to huff for a while, it adds to the creativity :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • Paint the color yourself, and then take it to an auto shop for the clear-coat.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • This is just my opinion, but I wouldn't paint it all. If I really liked the quitar I would leave all the scratches, dents and missing paint. It's like holding a little piece of your musical history and has much more character than it will when you repaint it, not to mention repainting it will kill any market value it has. I know you said the guitar was a cheapo, but you never know about the cheapos. One day that little cheapo could be worth at least more than what you gave for it.
  • i guess its not really a cheapo, its made of real nice wood, has an awesome neck and semour duncan pickups (upgrade). it just isnt a big name brand, so resale wont be so high. But its a guitar that feels like home, but it has like a purple faded type finish which i dont really like. Im thinking about doing some stencil art over it or maybe an ames tribute
  • If it's a newer guitar, it probably has some sort of polyurethane finish on it. I swear that that closes off some of the sound, especially on a strat like guitar and on acoustic, but also on Les Paul styles. The finish is more durable, and harder, and harder to take off, but it's doable and not THAT difficult. You can put on a mask and strip it with stripper, but sometimes it's elbow grease and a lot of sandpaper.
    I've done it with quite a few guitars.

Like Paco says,,, Stewart Macdonald has everything you need, and that website has a lot of info in general. Dan Erlewine is the driving force behind that company and is a guru of the guitar world,and is a great great guy. He put up a lot of good info in general about guitars and electronics and how to's on that site. Get their catalogue, too.
    Check with an autobody shop, or a furniture refinisher or instrument maker to see if you can find a source of Nitrocellulose laquer. It's out there, but hard to find. If you strip it and the wood's good, (Not highly likely if it's a cheapo) you may want to just clearcoat it.

The key is prep and filling the pores of the wood after it's stripped, then color, then spraying finish coats of lacquer to the depth of shine you want. They make spray cans that are really good, cheaper than getting a whole spray set up,,, but they are the way to go if you're doing one guitar.
    Spray light coats, let it dry, rub with 0000 steel wool, spray again rub again, until you have the depth of finish you want.
    Then let it cure for a week or so before you put it together again. waiting is hard!!!:)

Like Mojorisin says, it may lower the value of it, but if it's cheapo and ugly and you want to give it a new life, go for it.
    If there is anything really unique about the guitar,, leave it alone. The likelyhood of it's value going up a lot is slim unless it's got "something" to it like a unique sound or plays exceptionally well. What brand is it?
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
  • its by a company called J & D Luthiers, anyone heard of them? its a thru neck and nice wood, nice sound esp. with the newer pickups... Ive since got a strat but sometimes in my band i need the Les Paul sound