Options

Les Paul - new pick ups?

Lukin_ozLukin_oz Posts: 257
edited February 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I have a good les paul... very nice solid body... nice resonant sound... I want to change the rear bridge and get some new pickups... can anyone recommend some nice sounding pickups for me? I dont want something thats gunna cost a fortune... but I dont want shitty ones either... any advice would be good...
Those who dance are called insane by those who dont hear the music
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    My favorite are Gibson's Classic 57's.

Seymour Duncan has a few: Seth Lovers and the PAF '59.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    ARe the classics real expensive? How much they usually go for?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lukin_oz
    ARe the classics real expensive? How much they usually go for?

Musician's Friend lists them for $99.99:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040214192250150131025216232448/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/306000/
  • Options
    just make sure you keep the original pups, it will increase the value of the axe if you sell it on in future
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I love the new gibson Burstbucker V's

Check out http://www.seymourduncan.com

I love Lindy Fralin Pickups as well.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    i use seymour duncan pearly gates pickups in mine. they fuckin rock
  • Options
    The problem is, while we can recommend pickups until we're blue in the face, they all do different sounds. And arguably, any decent pickup has qualities, it just depends on whether you're looking for that sound. What kinda stuff are you looking for? And what does it have in it now? What don't you like, or what are you hoping to improve, specifically?
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    The problem is, while we can recommend pickups until we're blue in the face, they all do different sounds. And arguably, any decent pickup has qualities, it just depends on whether you're looking for that sound. What kinda stuff are you looking for? And what does it have in it now? What don't you like, or what are you hoping to improve, specifically?

hey, no fair asking real questions.

subjectivity, that's what we're looking for here.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Im looking for a nice clear thick sound... something so that when Im playing chords its nice and beefy and lead riffs while clear arent tingy or thin... I like a real thick sound... dunno if that helps... or would I just be better off selling it and getting a complete up grade?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lukin_oz
    Im looking for a nice clear thick sound... something so that when Im playing chords its nice and beefy and lead riffs while clear arent tingy or thin... I like a real thick sound... dunno if that helps... or would I just be better off selling it and getting a complete up grade?

Well, if you're happy with the feel and playability, then pickup upgrade is a good way to go. I would still recommend the Classic 57's, or the Seymour Duncan equivalent, Seth Lovers. Like Paco said, the Burstbuckers are also really good, as are PAF '59s. They're all pretty similar designs and sounds, the '57s and the Seth Lovers will be warmer, the '59s and Burstbuckers will be brighter, more articulate. You can always mix and match, get a '57 in the bridge and a Burstbucker in the neck... a Lover in the neck and a PAF in the bridge... whichever. Go to:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/website/products/humbuckers.shtml

Look at the model specs there, listen to the sound clips, really research them. It sounds like you want something with good lows, great mids, and a bit less responsive on the highs.