Advice for writing solos

Lukin_ozLukin_oz Posts: 257
edited April 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I was just after any info anyine had to offer on writing solos... do most people just approach it by playing round with the scales of that key? Any advice would be great
Those who dance are called insane by those who dont hear the music
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Scales help a lot. Start with the blues scale. They are the easiest, and that's what most solos are derived from. The goal is to learn the scale, but not really think about it when you're playing.
    It also depends what type of solo.
    If you've ever heard Robert Fripp and Adrian Belew play alternating 32nd notes on stage. That's heavy duty scale worship there! Total math and technical work

Stevie Ray kicking back and bending notes is done by knowing the blues scales, but not thinking about it. It's just pure feeling with a few notes.

Another way to learn is , if you're sitting around, just try and play along with what ever is on the radio or tv. Even a singing voice. You get an ear really fast and it's a good way to learn to play whatever comes into your head.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    I think the real key is being able to write solos that fit the song's structure.
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    All good suggestions. Bottom line PLAY FROM YOUR HEART....feel the music.
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see