Wrote a killer riff... but have I heard it b4?

Lukin_ozLukin_oz Posts: 257
edited February 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I wrote a killer riff on guitar while tuning up at practice the other day... thing is, I can hear how the song will go so clearly in my head, and cant help but wonder if Ive heard it before... but cant for the life of me think where... Ive been trying to think what it sounds like... anyone else have this problem when writing?
Those who dance are called insane by those who dont hear the music
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I have this problem ALL the time! In fact when I was in a band *sigh* I think I used to piss off the guitarist by saying his songs reminded me of something else... in fact, I had 'other' names for some of his riffs before they became fully written songs... like we had 'the Clash song', the 'pink floyd improv' and so on. But I've written a few songs lately where I've listened to em and just thought 'am I ripping someone off here?' I'm gonna ask a friend to see if he thinks I'm ripping someone off... hehe.

However, I don't see it as a bad thing really. I mean if you're blatantly and intentionally ripping off another song or band *cough*Creed*cough*, then that's another thing... but if u think it sounds like something else, just think of it as your influences coming out... or something like that.
    "...to love some silly piece of music... or some band so much that it hurts"
  • talents borrow, geniuses steal

seriously, it's all about what you do with it, if you add something creative to it, it's all fine by me.
  • "I wrote a killer riff on guitar while tuning up at practice the other day... thing is, I can hear how the song will go so clearly in my head, and cant help but wonder if Ive heard it before... but cant for the life of me think where... Ive been trying to think what it sounds like... anyone else have this problem when writing?"

but it's called sweet child o mine. Slash already wrote it.
    :)
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • lostdawglostdawg Posts: 109
    Happens all the time- (mostly) all of the riffs you hear have been done a hundred times in a hundred different bands- there are only 12 tones to work with. If it's not intentional, don't sweat it. Just don't bust out the guitar intro to "Stairway" and try to call it something else!!
  • It's certainly happened to me. I came up with a nice vocal melody and put lyrics that somehow seemed to fit to it, but something seemed off. Later on, I realized that not only was it the melody to a Pete Yorn song, I'd used a few of the same phrases in the lyrics. :rolleyes:
    "Dude...it's a hamburger on top of a rocket ship!"
  • djyman15djyman15 Posts: 181
    umm litterally came up with the exact riff to spin the black circle today. no wonder it sounded so familiar
    "Even if your heart would listen, I doubt I could explain"-Jimmy Eat World
  • sometimes after listening to a certain album, i'll sit down and write a song that has a similar feel to the band i was listening to. i'm not ripping any of their riffs off, thats just called inspiration. but other times i'll come up with a new riff that turns out to be a hell of a lot like something else, but its totally unintentional. this happened the other day, i came up with some little tune on the guitar that really sounded like going to california during the verses. but i think with a vocal melody that sounds nothing like going to california, the song won't sound like it at all.
    knowledge is a tree
    it's growing up just like me.
  • Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
    This happens to me all the time. I'll work something out and think it's brilliant then later it'll hit me that it was an unintentional rip off from something else. Like someone else said, as long as you don't do it intentionaly and have some variations to it you should be fine.

I read in some guitar magazine years ago Mike McCready said he ripped a riff off of a Kiss song but it was ok because they stole it from the Doors.
    don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
    i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'