Amp questions...

Lukin_ozLukin_oz Posts: 257
edited June 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I was just wondering if anyone has any info on why some amps will buzz or hum... is it the amp, quality of the lead, high volume, pick ups?
Those who dance are called insane by those who dont hear the music
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ShwnShwn Posts: 37
    It could be a bad cable.
    "One day we will all be in the soil with no gods to slave to, and no heroes to kill for"
    -Between the Buried and Me
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Lots of things...

First might be single-coil pickups. That's why humbuckers were invented, after all... to eliminate single-coil hum.

Florescent lighting or other electronic sources of RF interference will do it, too.

Shorts anywhere in the signal path would cause buzz... cables, internal wiring in the amp or guitar or FX. Cables are the first place I'd check, because it's the cheapest fix.

A bad ground (or no ground) on the power supply is a likely candidate, too.

High volume (or rather high gain) will cause any buzzes (even the most silent rig has some buzz; after all, the signal is unbalanced and it's pretty lo-fi for a signal system) to be amplified and made louder. The buzz is occurring somewhere else, but higher volumes will make it worse. If the buzz doesn't change with volume, your amp might need some serious attention (likely in the power amp section).
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.