Starting a Record label

Lukin_ozLukin_oz Posts: 257
edited May 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Anyone ever looked into starting a record label? I really wanna try and do something interesting and am considering starting a label. I dont expect it to be anything groundbreaking just a cool little indie label to put out some local bands. Any advice anyone can offer?
Those who dance are called insane by those who dont hear the music
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PJVITALOGYPJVITALOGY Posts: 54
    i dont know anything about startin a record label but if you do succeed with this, im in a local band and id be interested in lookin for a record deal:)
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    It takes money. Basically you put up the capital for a group to record, then you make your money on the sales of the albums/merch/touring etc. whichever you decide in the deals.

Most bands get a big signing bonus so they can buy instruments/studio time (Rent) etc that they need and the lending company (Label) makes a substantial chunk of the album sales to recoup their investment and make a little money allowing them to sign more bands and make more money.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • YornaholicYornaholic Posts: 27
    Actually if you are starting an indie label, its really not all that expensive. in this case though, the band should probably pay for their own recording. that is what a lot of indie labels do. (or you shouldn't give them the full amount)

You have to get in contact with a lot of people, like booking agents and all of that. Well, whatever you do, don't have a GIGANTIC recording budget because you have to remember that you are not Sony and even Sony artist's sometimes don't see a dime of their album sales.
    "Life is like a box full of Pearl Jam....You never know what you're going to get"
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by Yornaholic
    Well, whatever you do, don't have a GIGANTIC recording budget because you have to remember that you are not Sony and even Sony artist's sometimes don't see a dime of their album sales.

Exactly, part of the beauty of digital home studios. If you have a decent room, you can record decent demos on your own so all you'll need to do in the major studio is go in, fresh and rehearsed and lay down tracks.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • YornaholicYornaholic Posts: 27
    oh definatly!
    its worth to pick up a program for your computer like protools, and a few decent, inexpensive mics. even if you get them in good working condition on ebay or digibid.com
    its really not all that hard to learn. spend a good week with it.
    "Life is like a box full of Pearl Jam....You never know what you're going to get"