Pedal Advice

Lukin_ozLukin_oz Posts: 257
edited July 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Just after a bit of advice on which pedal would acheive what sound im looking for... My lead tone is fine, but when playing clean lead with the acoustic rythm its a bit weak. What pedal could i use to fatten up the tone and make it thicker?
Those who dance are called insane by those who dont hear the music
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    one of these puppies:

http://aphex.com/pedals.htm

the guitar exciter. i use the acoustic model on my acoustic line and it's amazing.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Wait... are you talking lead tone from an acoustic guitar, or from an clean electric guitar over an acoustic rhythm track?

If it's an acoustic you want to fatten up, an exciter is a great solution.

If it's an electric... an exciter would work great, but I'd also suggest a good compressor, that would fatten up the tone, maybe boost the signal (most have variable output), and keep the tone clean.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Lukin_ozLukin_oz Posts: 257
    Im talking clean lead tone from an electric whilst playing to an acoustic rythym.... so a compresser will take the sound and make it fatter and more expansive? what else are compressers good for? like what cool tone will it get whan added to a heavier lead?
    Originally posted by Lukin_oz
    Im talking clean lead tone from an electric whilst playing to an acoustic rythym.... so a compresser will take the sound and make it fatter and more expansive? what else are compressers good for? like what cool tone will it get whan added to a heavier lead?

If you go from a compressor into an overdrive, it will make it fat and liven up your sustain. Into a distortion, it will really help sustain and give it a tad more meat. It really helps control feedback for those Cobain-inspired moments, too. Great for chicken-pickin'. The place where it really shines is bringing the tone out of a Strat or Tele. Like when you get a good piece of maple, it looks okay... but you add a good clearcoat laquer to it, and it comes to life? That's what a compressor does for a Strat or Tele. You didn't miss it before, but you can't live without it after.

Robert Keeley makes a quite nice compressor:

http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=8

The MXR Dyna Comp is a very popular selection:

http://www.jimdunlop.com/products/electronics/mxr/products/m102.html

I know that others are out there from other manufacturers, but those are the two that I would endorse.

The big thing is that compressors are better for playing leads, notes, riffs, solos, etc. It can make chords sound undefined and muddy.

Key disclaimer: Try before you buy.
    on a compression pedal, what dials control what on it... eg is just a case of plugging in and setting a gain, volume, delay? Im totally clueless when it comes to pedals...
    Originally posted by Lukin_oz
    on a compression pedal, what dials control what on it... eg is just a case of plugging in and setting a gain, volume, delay? Im totally clueless when it comes to pedals...

On the Keeley and the MXR, it has two controls: Effect level and Output volume. You decide how radical you want the effect to be, and then you decide how loud it should be when engaged. Pretty simple.

Now, for a brief explanation of what compression is:

When you play, the overall output volume varies greatly. A single note picked lightly will be very weak, and a full power chord strummed hard will be very strong. A compressor squishes (compresses) the louder notes so they don't get so loud, and then compensates by turning the whole signal up. So, you can play quieter stuff and louder stuff, but when it's compressed, the levels sound much closer. If you were playing a little lead riff and then switching to power chords, and you wanted them to be the same volume, a compressor is perfect. Compression also fattens up the tone, bringing the fullness of each note into the signal. Tube saturation is a form of compression (albeit an especially musical form). It helps sustain by grabbing a note while it's loud and holding the volume while the actual note fades... keeping the signal sustaining much longer. It helps feedback by controlling frequencies that might get TOO loud and squeal and hurt your ears, and instead getting that great, rumbling feedback sound.

So, when you set up a compressor pedal, you decide how much you want to squish the signal, and how much you want to raise the volume to compensate.

Comprende?
    much appreciated... its a lot clearer now. I remember going to a website that explained the sounds of each effect with a sample. anyone know the site?
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    or as the monkey would explain it...

Compression:
    Picture the scene. Sicily, 1947. A monkey. With a volume pedal. He has tinnitus, so he doesn't like loud noises, but needs things to be a certain volume level in order to hear them, poor little mite. He is wearing headphones. When you play, if it's too loud, he turns the volume down a little. If it's too quiet, he turns it up. He can do this quite quickly if he wants, but there's a big dial in front of him, telling him how fast he's allowed to turn the volume control. There's another control that determines how loud his headphones are compared to your guitar.

Pop the little chap in a box and paint it (traditionally) blue and off you go. Oh, it might be a good idea to replace him with some sort of electronics gubbins, to save his poor hearing.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    Originally posted by blackredyellow
    or as the monkey would explain it...

I thought about posting the monkey version...

But then again, I am VERY well-educated in the concept of compression, and the monkey-version of compression had me confused.

Now, the monkeys explain delay pretty well...
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    I thought about posting the monkey version...

But then again, I am VERY well-educated in the concept of compression, and the monkey-version of compression had me confused.

Now, the monkeys explain delay pretty well...

Monkeys explaining delay is priceless.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.